Ridgeline as ExPo vehicle?

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Bought one as a daily driver and Sunday-go-to-Home-Depot truck. But the more I drive it around, the more I'm starting to really like it. It gobbles up the gravel roads and pulls our trailer like it isn't even there. So my question is - why not a Ridgeline as an ExPo vehicle?

Why am I slightly unsure (embarrassed?) about it? Is it because nobody has ever tried - or admits they've tried? Is it the fact that there is absolutely no aftermarket support for it? Do you need to "build" an ExPo truck?

Part of my reality is that we're in Connecticut and if there's a bright center of the adventure universe, Connecticut is the place that it's farthest from.

Which means we have to drive a long way just to get to the beginning of an adventure. The Ridgeline is good at that. And, since I go adventuring with my 2yr old, we don't do any 'off-road' we just do 'unimproved road' adventuring.

How far do you think you could push a Ridgeline?

Cheers,
Mark

Scott Brady

Founder
Drive what you like.

Other than the Land Cruiser, the most common vehicle you will see in the middle of nowhere is a Celica. I expect the Ridgeline will do just fine for typical adventure travel, dirt roads and parking on the beach. Install some LT tires in a slightly larger size and have a compressor available to air the tires back up after dirt road / sand travel.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We've got a Pilot, essentially the same thing. At the very least,I'd reroute the exhaust as it exits between the rear suspension members at a very low point on the vehicle. The all wheel locking feature is pretty neat. No low range though.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I REALLY do not like te fact that the spare tire is stored in a space under the floor of the bed, and you have a hatch to access it. If you get a flat tire while you have some stuff in the bed, all that stuff has to come out...
Imagine if you had just come from a quarry with a load of dirt or gravel in te bed! :Wow1:

mcm4090

Explorer
I actually like the floor storage in the Ridgeline. Looks like a great place to store stuff.

340x_Ten-Tailgate-Ridgeline.jpg

I also like the fact you can open the tailgate two different ways.

Those two things are neat but it's hard for me to canister it a truck. All-wheel drive, unibody, and independent rear suspension....doesn't sound like a truck.

Pest

Adventurer
I actually like the floor storage in the Ridgeline. Looks like a great place to store stuff.

Problem with that is you MUST empty the entirety of the "bed" to get to anything in there. It would take some careful planning as to avoid constant unloading/loading. Even for emergency gear (or should I say especially?) since you would have to unload fast and maybe in a bad location...

I also like the fact you can open the tailgate two different ways.

How does that work?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
the hardest part of making a ridgeline into an expo vehicle is telling your parents that you're gay:sombrero: If you have, drive it, if you wear it out or find its limitations, then upgrade.

Jrally

Adventurer
I think I resemble that Celica reference.
I'm sure, for what you do, it's just fine. The V8 engine gets good reviews and the off-road team does pretty well with it.

-Jon

eli

Observer
Honda Ridgeline

We started using a Honda Ridgeline when they first came out possibly in 2006. The tail gate actually swings out or folds down extending your truck bed which is great for hauling motorcycles. I don't consider myself an expo expert by a long shot but I tell you the Ridgeline is very well thought out. It handles like a car, is very comfortable and hauls just about every thing you could need.

It does well in all weather on regular and unimproved roads. It does not have exceptional ground clearance but it's a compromise. You either love them or hate them but this vehicle, you just have to test drive to appreciate.:coffee:

stolenheron

Explorer
We've got a Pilot, essentially the same thing. At the very least,I'd reroute the exhaust as it exits between the rear suspension members at a very low point on the vehicle. The all wheel locking feature is pretty neat. No low range though.

we have an 03 Acura MDX. same scenario. definitely not something i'd want to attempt rough terrain in. fine for dirt roads and a little bump here and there. however, they are an extremely reliable vehicle.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
love/hate

I've got this strange love/hate relationship with it. I keep thinking, "if only I could raise it up a couple of inches and get some larger rubber under it it would do pretty well." But in every forum I've checked on the subject, the guys that have lifted them say it's a disaster and return them back to stock. The guys at King Shocks don't even want to talk to you about getting the setup they provided to Gavin Skilton (Baja Ridgeline race truck).

There's nowhere to go and no one to turn to. Frustrating.

We're going to run it until we need to go somewhere it can't take us and then we'll get something else. We're trying to plan an Iceland trip and there's no way the Ridgeline is going to make that trip!

Looking forward to the US release of the Mahindra - might be fun...

greg mgm

Explorer
Mark, How about taking the Ridgeline out for a weekend to see what it's weaknesses are. Have a friend with another 4x4 along (To pull you out) and try to get the Ridgeline stuck, so you know exactly what it can and can't do. That's exactly what I'd do. It can't be any worse than a Subaru....and they do quite well off road.

frogstar7055

Yep,that's a scratch.
Mark, How about taking the Ridgeline out for a weekend to see what it's weaknesses are. Have a friend with another 4x4 along (To pull you out) and try to get the Ridgeline stuck, so you know exactly what it can and can't do. That's exactly what I'd do. It can't be any worse than a Subaru....and they do quite well off road.

Actually quite exceptional off road if you ask me.:victory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSWKTBfcsY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDbosdPP70Q

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles