Ridgeline as ExPo vehicle?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
As has been mentioned the ridgeline is the same platform as the Pilot. My wife drove a pilot for about 18 months. She did not like it all that much and is now in a 2002 Forester.

I however, liked the pilot. It is a heavy, well built vehicle. I agree it could use better clearance. With the locking diff, I got out of some pretty significant jams on our property. Jams, I might add, that were caused by me not paying attention. Jams, such as... backing up, dropping the passenger rear wheel off our pond dam resulting in two wheels off the ground. I have been in that position before in my jeeps, but it was... ummm... intentional... anyway, twisted the little dial, dropped the gearshift into first and slowly powered out.

I have been wheeling for a long time, lots of rock crawling in built jeeps... and this pull out impressed me.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
VTM-4 is pretty cool stuff, HERE is a writeup about it.

All I know is that when you get into the marbles, the RL just seems to claw its way around the turns.
I just keep my foot in it, and point it where I want to go.

If we could put some descent rubber under a RL, we'd take over the world!

Cheers,
Mark

legal note: porsche cayenne excluded from the 'take over the world' comment.

4x4v8

Observer
This thread is old now and I was just wondering how all of the RL were holding up. I drove one a few years back and I felt that it was underpowered compared to my 4runner (v8, not a rocket by any means). We filled up the bed with bottled water and 5 passengers and we crawled to our destination. I drive a pilot every so often and I feel that it is underpowered even when empty, but I can live it. As long as it can pull my 6x12 enclosed trailer filled with toys, I'm good.

I have the chance to pick one up at super cheap and the maintenance will basically be free. As a daily driver/weekend hauler, I think it would be a good compromise.

Any thoughts?

dustboy

Explorer
I'm still happy with mine, but with a family, I don't do any real offroading anymore. The only real problems it has are no low-range on the transfer case and the paltry ground clearance. That said, it handles rough fireroads very well, it's far more comfortable at higher speed than my Tacoma ever was. The 4WD system is pretty amazing, it has arguably better traction than my Tacoma with a rear LSD. With a good set of tires, it will claw its way up just about any slippery slope.

I have never felt it was underpowered. It lacks torque, but when you put your toe down, it really scoots. I tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer, and you can go up long hills as fast as you want, if you're willing to pay for the extra fuel!

As a daily driver, it's unbeatable. Quiet, comfy and reliable, with plenty of clever hidey-holes for your stuff. Takes curves like it's on rails.

I'm not all that happy with the interior. Too much cheap plastic, and certain parts have come loose or worn faster than they should on a 4 year old truck. The cloth upholstery stains if you look at it wrong. Get the leather if you can.

4x4v8

Observer
I'm still happy with mine, but with a family, I don't do any real offroading anymore. The only real problems it has are no low-range on the transfer case and the paltry ground clearance. That said, it handles rough fireroads very well, it's far more comfortable at higher speed than my Tacoma ever was. The 4WD system is pretty amazing, it has arguably better traction than my Tacoma with a rear LSD. With a good set of tires, it will claw its way up just about any slippery slope.

I have never felt it was underpowered. It lacks torque, but when you put your toe down, it really scoots. I tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer, and you can go up long hills as fast as you want, if you're willing to pay for the extra fuel!

As a daily driver, it's unbeatable. Quiet, comfy and reliable, with plenty of clever hidey-holes for your stuff. Takes curves like it's on rails.

I'm not all that happy with the interior. Too much cheap plastic, and certain parts have come loose or worn faster than they should on a 4 year old truck. The cloth upholstery stains if you look at it wrong. Get the leather if you can.

That's basically what iwas expecting. I assume it doesn't have very many problems, seeing as how it is a Honda (I've had a prelude and civic in the past with zero problems). I have been contemplating between a Tacoma and RL now but with my kids being so young, I think a softer ride on the fireroutes is the way to go but the lack of aftermarket parts is just discouraging.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Do any of you have any experience or advice on using/installing a minor lift kit on the Ridgeline that you can share here?

Thx mucho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles