Ride Rite Fittings

georgeofthedesert

I assume this part of the forum will have more Ride Rite airbag users for my question. The question, are the steel outer and plastic inner fittings on the airbag side way more fragile than the all brass fittings? I have the reason I'm asking in the TLDR section below.

So I have a set of the RR airbags and when I put them together I tested to see if there were any leaks. There was a small leak in one of the fittings that attaches to the airbags between the outer and inner pieces. However that leak quickly stopped and never started again even with me pushing on the airbag to see if pressure would cause the leak again. I thought meh something just needed to seal itself or something. I install the airbags and that airbag sure enough leaks on the truck in the same spot. So I decide to just buy new ones since it's a two pack and I'll have an extra, instead of going through Firestone for the warranty. The fittings that came with the airbags (the leaky one) are the brass inner and brass outer fittings, so all brass. The ones that were sent from etrailer were steel outer and plastic inner fittings. I pointed this out and they were like yeah that's the wrong part number and they send another set in a sealed Firestone box that had the right part number on the box. I open them up and bam another set of steel and plastic. I message them again suggesting I think they might be mislabeled at Firestone, so the person from etrailer was like crap that sounds like that's what the deal is I'll see if we have any brass ones left. I get a larger box a few days later that is a Firestone branded box and inside two of the same boxes I received in the last shipment with the right part number. I hope them and bam, both are steel and plastic. So I now go through the warranty process with Firestone and that box arrived yesterday and bam another set of steel and plastic fittings. I have an email out to Firestone asking what's up and I also called the local Firestone car shop to see they had any of the brass fittings they can like put their eyes on and sell to me. They didn't but he said it sounds like there was a part number change and looking at what he could see everything still showing the part number I have is the all brass fittings. At this point I'm like F-it I have so many steel and plastic ones if they break I'll just keep swapping them out. I'm also wondering if they really aren't that much less durable than the all brass ones. The plastic part where the airline goes into is what makes me nervous about them and durability.

I have photos below of what I'm talking about:

Fitting I am looking for and currently leaking, also the all brass one I'm talking about
1671723530725.png

photo of the steel and plastic fitting I keep getting:

steel_and_plastic_rr.jpg

-George

taylosha

Got a combo of the plastic and brass push fittings on my airbags and don’t seem to have a problem with either, I have had a few that leak at first but all I did was disconnect it and reconnect it and haven’t had a problem since really. If you are looking to replace yours with an all brass one, search for dot air brake line fittings, it’s what anything with air brakes used so you may find something in your local auto parts store. Not sure what size you need, but shouldn’t be to difficult to locate one online. https://a.co/d/7srs52I

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
They are referred to as push-to-connect fittings

In cold country, I've actually found the ALL plastic versions put up with freezing better than brass.
Unless you have an air dryer on the system, there is always moisture in the lines.
Too much at a low fitting, freeze and crack.... Regardless of rating, plastic seems to put up with this better.
Everything I've plumbed with them are Tailonz branded, sourced from Amazon

Tailonz is also available in all stainless, not sure about brass

Alloy

Try a search for "D.O.T push to connect fittings". The O-ring will be better quality.

You'll have a choice of brass or composite.

I consider PTC fittings to one shot fitting due to the chance of damaging the O-ring.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It is important to make sure that the air hose going to a PTC fitting is completely square and smooth when it is cut. A hose cutting tool makes a big difference over a knife. I’ve also had a few weep leak simply because they weren’t pushed in well enough. Push them in very firmly and then pry back gently on the locking ring for a good fit. A little soapy water on the line when connecting seemingly makes a difference here too. The materials of construction don’t seem to matter much, brass, nickel plated brass, all plastic… I’ve had failures with all. We use them all over my work, and about 1 in 100 leaks and needs to be re-seared or re-cut. Higher by many times over if the air line is cut with side-cutting pliers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier