Ride report: Suzuki DR-Z400s, Honda NC700X

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
My comments:

This struck me: "One of the faster guys at the Taste of Dakar had a 2010 DR-Z400SM, converted to dirt, and he said he had to do a lot to it to really get everything out of the engine and improve the suspension and brakes and handling. When I asked him what modifications were important, he said most guys did a 3×3 carb mod, upgraded to JD jets, added exhaust, installed a kickstand switch and removed the charcoal box so the overflow would’t run into the exhaust lines and flood the engine. Riding off road sloshed gas around in the tank (the legal reaosn for doing this mod). He personally had also completely upgraded the suspension and brakes."

I agree - after having all the mods on mine, I rode my brother's stock 400sm and it was S.L.O.W.

I have a 08 SM model. Have all those same mods, blah blah blah. I don't know HOW this guy was comfortable doing long freeway jaunts - I've got an aftermarket seat and it's STILL uncomfortable on a 300 mile ride. I commute almost everyday and while everything he said was spot on, all the negatives were right on as well - a lot of his issues could be eliminated just by getting the SM model. It's an easy switch to dirt mode. Freeway speeds are noticeably vibrating (it's a single cylinder) and I hope to eliminate a lot of this by switching to a 39tooth rear sprocket to lower the revs at 75mph - it sounds like it's screaming. While this isn't bad for it, I just don't like it. I also will be getting handlebar risers because I'm 6'0'' and like the author said, I'm hunched over offroad standing up...makes it harder. Gas mileage is right on, but I found that at 55 fully loaded that you can eek out 50-55mpg pretty consistently...albeit slowly, so quiet backroads are efficient.

Although maybe getting a larger displacement supermoto and dirt setup might be better - Husqvarna 610sm? KTM? Just at what price?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I always thought of the 400 engine as a disappointment. I never rode a bike with one, but did log some time on a mx race quad with the same motor. Even with cams, and hi-comp piston it never was very thrilling.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I added my 39tooth rear sprocket last night to the supermoto. It's now an excellent commuter bike. Plenty of oomph from a stoplight, and enough for a commute on the highway. The sprocket really changed the freeway manners - 75-80 is no problem (just wind). You're right that the 400 has NOTHING compared to a streetbike 600, but for a little tractor, it's the little engine that could...

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got a DRZ400s with the 3x3 and JD mods, etc. It'll run fine for goofing off and playing in the mountains (it's great on the twisties up in NC) but I've never felt comfortable on it at highway speeds; I was going to add a steering stabilizer but the last time it tossed me was the last straw so it's on the block now- anyone wanna nicely farkled 2007 DRZ?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Drz400 ain't supposed to be a hardcore enduro racer. The engine works great for what it's meant to be. 3x3, Jets, and a MRD SSR is all she needs.

Bugspray

Adventurer
NC700X

The value of the little Honda is outstanding! While it is not perfect off road with non-adjustable mushy suspension and 17" wheels even with those short comings it held its own. I think it would be a blast for the type of roads I ride 70% pavement 30% dirt/gravel roads a LONG way from gas stations. That little bike can do it all for a great price point. I would opt for the DCT and ABS personally because I have a jacked up arthritic left wrist and the DCT is just what I need(I know its drawbacks in the dirt, I don't care). I always seem to be looking for the "quiver killer" whether its skis, mtn bikes, fishing rods, kitchen knives etc. This bike is indeed a quiver killing, gas sipping, dirt cheap, techno transmissioned, funky styled super freak "one bike" and its all anybody needs. Dammit, I just talked myself into buying one....

NothingClever

Explorer
I have a KTM 950 and a Husqvarna TE610 (carbs).

I have free air fare to Turkey and am considering shipping a bike there for a trip north to Armenia, east to Azerbaijan and then over to Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and northern Afghanistan (likely only the tamer northern provinces of Badakhshan, Takhar, Kunduz, Balkh and Jowzjan).

I'm debating between the DR-Z and the DR.

lonestrom

Adventurer
I have taken mine up the Dalton and over the Cascades and next July it's doing the WABDR ( with 4-5 other NCX's ).
a6a2a8ym.jpg

epaga4yb.jpg

5e6yzaha.jpg

u9e9egus.jpg

ytyzarag.jpg

4ygymuse.jpg

I traded in a 07 DL1000 for the NC and love it,it feels sooo much lighter offroad and the 17" front works great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles