*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

Sal R.

That vid was really something. I believe the grip theme was very well communicated.

Nicely done.

I have the STT Pros, as well. With the exception of icy slush, the STTs have taken everything I have thrown at it so far with not a mark to show for it.

Quiet for a DD and wearing out very nicely and evenly.

At the rate I'm going, I'll get about 47k out of this tire.

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

Some Ramblings...

The 4Runner has just been chugging along for the past year basically without issue. Regular oil, diff, filter changes without much drama. Recently I have been getting a P0420 code but I will chase that down further once I buck up for a real set of headers and exhaust crossover (URD?) then chase down the codes. Doesn't affect drive-ability so, meh.

I did also recently replace the rear ABS harness, LR wheel speed sensor due to my dash lighting up like a Christmas tree with all the traction lights. Luckily for me I grabbed the Techstream computer at work, diagnosed, and ordered the parts for a quick fix. Once pulling the old sensor though I noticed some gear oil on the end of the sensor... which could only mean one thing - the inner axle seal was leaking but hadn't leaked bad enough yet to be visible on the exterior. Good catch! Glad I caught it before it washed all the grease out of my wheel bearing and did some real damage. Definitely the most maintenance and problems I've had on the 4Runner in the ~30,000kms that I've owned it.

Other than that I've been busy driving the 4Runner offroad/camping as often as I can while I have been turning wrenches in the background on my 85' pickup (just pulled the tranny for a rear main seal leak and added a new Marlin clutch/flywheel while I was in there). But I won't go into too much detail on that because it deserves it's own build thread.

NEW MODS

Dobinson 675V Rear Coils:

One thing I did do on the 4Runner about a month ago was ad the lowest LT rear coils that Dobinsons makes - the 675V. THe Metal Tech LT coils were great but I dropped down a solid 1.5" in the rear with the new coils. With my stock rear bumper, fridge, and a full cargo area the truck literally sits perfectly level with only mild droop when its loaded. I still have about 1" front to back rake when the truck is empty and that is fine by me. Mission successful. The only downside to this change is that I do notice the rear end hitting the bumpstops more frequently due to the drop in uptravel with the lower coils. That is me being pretty finicky though as it only happens slightly more frequently and I still feel the amount of uptravel I have is very sufficient. Just something worth noting for the eager.

Storage Platform:

This is something that has been in the works since I bought the 4R. Basically been using the truck and evaluating my priorities and how I want to organize the rear cargo area. A couple napkin sketches later and I seem to be on my way. Trying to make it light, simple, and versatile so that I can easily ditch all the camping gear when the winter season hits. I've got some pretty cool ideas for it but hopefully my welding and carpentry skills can do my idea justice! haha Steel 3/4" frame with a wood top and dual slides. Should have some progress photos this weekend with more details.

Wheeling - June 30th

The weather was decent and we decided to head out and explore some new routes and trails local to us. The weather was wet for the entire weekend basically but still gave us some great scenery and fun trails. Still snow at the higher elevations too!

Back at camp

_08I2541.jpg
by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

_08I2567.jpg

My brother Chase weaver through a tight obstacle

_08I2605.jpg

_08I2673.jpg

_08I2637.jpg

Two great tires - can you name them?

_08I2677.jpg

Tight trails...some too tight for the nice paint on RickRunner

_08I2659.jpg

It'll buff out they said...

_08I2712.jpg

Views through the clouds

_08I2707.jpg

IMG_20180701_151741.jpg

A new trail on a new day with a few of the fine folks from The Gear Shop out of YYC.

_08I2743.jpg

_08I2748.jpg

The reason/views that keep me coming back!

_08I2771.jpg

Nick's cool Defender (no power steering...)

_08I2772.jpg

Because beadlocks

_08I2765.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

Heading East...

After my last wheeling trip in the rain/cooler temps, we were dying to get some sunshine. Luckily a few days after the trip posted above, the clouds broke and spring instantly turned to summer. Temps went from ~20 deg C (68F) to 34 deg C (93F). We rallied the troops to head back to an old time favorite spot. Super high alpine and glacier country. The trails are not overly technical but there is a lot of high speed old mining roads to travel and those alone are a ton of fun. RickRunner definitely got airborne a couple of times ;) All in all, an excellent weekend with the boys (girls invited but none came with...lol). We got lots of sun and even managed to get a 10,000 ft hike in to the summit of one of the peaks pictured. Even shoe-ski'd our way back down on one of the glaciers which was an absolute blast. I'll let the photos do the rest of the talkin'.

Day 1 - mostly exploratory for future trails.

_08I3477.jpg

Marks killer RCSB 1st Gen Taco - locked F/R, 5 speed, 4 Cyl.

_08I3488.jpg

Day 2 - We assembled the crew and headed for an old mine. Super cool because the mine is only accessible for a couple months per year due to snow and you can walk into the side of the mountain about 500 feet.

_08I3497.jpg

Nice Tamarack hats to be found everywhere! lol

_08I3495.jpg

The Tokin Nissan and some high speed mining roads:

_08I3492.jpg

Then we hit a fork in the road and started the ascent:

_08I3508.jpg

_08I3509.jpg

_08I3556.jpg

Great to see my Dad's old Tacoma now in the hands of my youngest brother - first time this thing has seen trail since Dad passed away. I was stoked to see my brother enjoying the truck and getting exciting about wheeling/exploring.

_08I3563.jpg

Couple poser shots of RickRunner at the Summit

_08I3613.jpg

_08I3616.jpg

We quickly raced back down and headed up the next drainage to a very special place. Porbably one of the most surreal environments I've ever drove through. The glacier's on this route are magnificent and there are 3 within view during most moments. The carnage and power of the receding ice is literally mind blowing and makes you truly respect mother nature's power. I feel privileged to walk this ground each and every time I go... it never gets old and I hope/pray that anyone else who finds this special place gives it the respect it deserves.

On the way in...

_08I3653.jpg

_08I3662.jpg

_08I3663.jpg

Camp quickly setup after a short hike/swim in the glacial waters as golden hour fades away:

_08I3685.jpg

_08I3701.jpg

One of my favorite shots from the weekend - John's ultra-clean expo AF Tundra. He built all the armor/racks himself with the exception of the front bumper too.

_08I3684.jpg

_08I3698.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
I took some amazing star/milky way photos that night as well. But like a complete rookie, left the IS setting ON during my long exposures which basically ruined everyone of the shots. Oh well, now I just need to go back!

Got up just after sunrise to snap a couple pics:

_08I3758.jpg

_08I3760.jpg

_08I3759.jpg

Nothing like beating up a truck with only 6000kms on the odo!

_08I3775.jpg

FLnative

Observer
Awesome 4runner build! I just read through this entire thread and it's definitely inspirational for another 4th gen owner.

I didn't see anything when googling Element Fabrication skids, is the website live yet?

ukrboy

Observer
Addison, awesome reports!
Now, how about that Colossal registration?!? July 11th came and went... just saying haha

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome 4runner build! I just read through this entire thread and it's definitely inspirational for another 4th gen owner.

I didn't see anything when googling Element Fabrication skids, is the website live yet?

Thank you! Glad there is some useful information in here. I've slacked pretty hard on this build thread and left out a lot of details. Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you need any more info.

link: Element by RA Motorsports

No RTT? Or sleeping in the back?

This has been a long point of discussion on the 4R. I love the RTT's and especially have considered waiting for the new GoFast Camper RTT. Love the low profile, easy setup, no need for a roof rack, and the abillity to keep all your bedding in the tent (like any RTT). However I am just not sure if I want 100+ lbs of weight on the top. I enjoy the "spirited" driving that we are able to do out here on the backroads and the COG increase is a big drawback for me. Time will tell.

I have the full awning room for my ARB, so that has been serving me quite well on extended stays. Light weight and no COG increase so I like it a lot. Plus the stand-up room is awesome. I am building a drawer setup right now for the back which I am probably going to make with an optional single sleeper. So if I'm out solo I can crash in the truck, and if the wife is with me we can just use the ARB awning room.

Some awesome views you have. I need to travel north!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it Jose! I'll show you around anytime. I would love to come down to your neck of the woods again soon too. Rubicon especially has been on my radar for a couple years.

PS - great seeing the evolution of your Tundra and all those new racks and awesome parts your creating. Such a great build and I enjoy seeing all your creativity and details come together.

Addison, awesome reports!
Now, how about that Colossal registration?!? July 11th came and went... just saying haha

Colossal yes... I've just been so busy that time seems always insufficient. I expect to see some details emerge in the next couple weeks.

phsycle

Adventurer
I hadn't seen that ARB Awning room. What an excellent alternative to the RTT. I also don't like all that weight up there, as well as taking up all that potential cargo room. I am ground tenting it, which has been great (and preferable for me to the RTT), but I will have to look into that awning room as well.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Awesome pictures as always! I really love that trail for the view and need to return in my new truck. The Xterra Pro4x went for a swim and did not survive, so I now have a Colorado ZR2 as a replacement and am starting the build.

This looks deeper now!?

42648580135_c8e7d38cc2_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles