*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

Adventurous

Explorer
LOL I deserve this. But if we are playing a game of quotes, here is one of my own:

Lol Well then, I think that answers it.....Oh and I just caved and got the beadlocks I've been hum-haw'ing over for several years. :peepwall: Can't wait to wheel in the snow with 4 psi!!

In all seriousness though, I still don't think this thing will be on the road with all these new parts until spring. Going to "slowly" tear it all down and build it back up in the garage before it touches dirt. It costs too much to mod progressively over time, Ryan I think you have quoted the "buy once, cry once" before. Your words ring true!

Haha thanks man! It's all in the camera ;) Seriously does make it too easy sometimes.

Side note, YAY for OPEC cuts. Maybe I'll be able to afford Long Travel in the near future after all?

Gonna tub and run 35s on Hutchinson Rock Monsters?

River19

Observer
Looking forward to following along as well.........

Quick question on the air injection bypass stuff........I just acquired a 2009 GX and while I have 230K miles on my Gen1 Tundra with the 4.7 non VVTi, I am unfamiliar with the issue you guys mentioned with the plate etc. I also saw the bypass was for up to years 2007.....was something corrected for 2008+?

The 4R looks friggin clean for a decade+ old vehicle......great find.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer

Quick question on the air injection bypass stuff........I just acquired a 2009 GX and while I have 230K miles on my Gen1 Tundra with the 4.7 non VVTi, I am unfamiliar with the issue you guys mentioned with the plate etc. I also saw the bypass was for up to years 2007.....was something corrected for 2008+?

If I'm not mistaken 2008 up is when Toyota went to the 4.6 V8?

River19

Observer

2010 was the model year they swapped to the GX460......I have a lovely 4.7 VVTi under the hood. So that makes two 4.7s int he driveway and one Hemi 6.4L.....oh and for another 5 months a 4 Cylider 2015 Rav4 as well.......anyone need to borrow a vehicle?

seanpistol

Explorer
Nice incoming parts list! My buddy at work with a built V6 4th gen just bought a very clean v8 4th gen to replace it. He took advantage of Metal Texh and Icon on black Friday as well, haha. This same guy has an 88 Runner one one tons with triple sticks and tons.... i think Toyota people have problems in general.

rickashay

Explorer
Gonna tub and run 35s on Hutchinson Rock Monsters?

Close! No need to tub on the 4th gen though... which is nice. Probably sticking to a 34" tire tho.

Awesome read of the feature on Expo...excellent choice for the next build too

Thanks! Like I mentioned before, I always loved your rig as well as your photos. Would love to meet up and wheel sometime when I'm down your way or if you head back up here.

Thanks! An 09' GX470 sounds pretty nice too. Love those. From the research I've done it was a potential problem on all vvti 2UZ (4.7's). Link with some info on T4R.org HERE

That being said, I was speaking with my good friend who was a Toyota Tech for 10 years.... he said he only ever saw 1 of these come through his dealership. FWIW I bought the bypass kit from RuTech just for the piece of mind and to do everything I can to make my low mileage Runner last a while.

4th Gens were available in 09' and still had the 4.7 although it might have been a half-year and then everything went to the 4.6 V8 (which I have heard feels gutless and painful compared to the 2UZ)

Any particular reason you went away from fox and are getting icons?

20% Black Friday sale? Loved my Fox's but have always been interested in the "digressive" valving. If I don't like the Icons I'll force myself to go Long Travel and go back to the Fox's. haha

2010 was the model year they swapped to the GX460......I have a lovely 4.7 VVTi under the hood. So that makes two 4.7s int he driveway and one Hemi 6.4L.....oh and for another 5 months a 4 Cylider 2015 Rav4 as well.......anyone need to borrow a vehicle?

Nice garage! I drove a Hellcat this summer.... it was INSANE.

Side topic, we filmed this for a client of ours this summer also:

https://vimeo.com/184439824

Nice incoming parts list! My buddy at work with a built V6 4th gen just bought a very clean v8 4th gen to replace it. He took advantage of Metal Texh and Icon on black Friday as well, haha. This same guy has an 88 Runner one one tons with triple sticks and tons.... i think Toyota people have problems in general.

Thanks Sean! Gotta stick with the 2UZ... I'm hooked for life I think. And that 88' Runner sounds OK... lol

River19

Observer
What are you thinking for tires?

I'm in a similar boat with the fact that I need an effective tire on everything from maintained dirt roads to logging trails with rocks and plenty of mud....but they need to be relatively smooth and quiet at 75mph as we drive 225 miles to our cabin each weekend and back home. The General AT2s have fit the bill well and worn well on the Tundra and I deplore everything I have used from Nitto (Terra and Trail) and can't wait to drop them......heck I have a half worm set of Terra 305s in my shed wasting away from my F250 that I swapped for Duratracs on that rig before I traded it on the Ram.

I will need new sneakers for the Ram next year but I need a good towing tire as well as that is my horse pulling machine........and I'm not hearing good things about KO2s on anything larger than a 1/2 ton. Which sucks as I was leaning that way. Maybe back to Duratracs but I would have to drop a size down......

Dirtco

Adventurer
Awesome platform Addison, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! I'm also interested in your opinion of the Icon suspension, Ive been looking at the 2.5 CDCV series as a compromise instead of LT.

Addison,

With another one on the way my 04 AC may be on the chopping block too, what was your thinking / rationale for going with a 4th Gen 4RNR vs. the GX470? Seems the used market for the GX is more favorable due to less demand (and knowledge) of the platform. Nearly identical power train with different styling....those 2 have made it to my shortlist along with the 1st Gen Sequoia...

rickashay

Explorer
Nice parts list enroute!

your gonna love having beadlocks, what brand did you go with?

Thanks, been watching you're build closely. I saw you recently got out in the snow with your beadlocks. Looking good! Curious, what was your rationale for going with glass up front? You sticking to 285's or going bigger later?

What are you thinking for tires?

I'm in a similar boat with the fact that I need an effective tire on everything from maintained dirt roads to logging trails with rocks and plenty of mud....but they need to be relatively smooth and quiet at 75mph as we drive 225 miles to our cabin each weekend and back home. The General AT2s have fit the bill well and worn well on the Tundra and I deplore everything I have used from Nitto (Terra and Trail) and can't wait to drop them......heck I have a half worm set of Terra 305s in my shed wasting away from my F250 that I swapped for Duratracs on that rig before I traded it on the Ram.

I will need new sneakers for the Ram next year but I need a good towing tire as well as that is my horse pulling machine........and I'm not hearing good things about KO2s on anything larger than a 1/2 ton. Which sucks as I was leaning that way. Maybe back to Duratracs but I would have to drop a size down......

Interesting to hear you didn't like the Nittos. I was actually considering the new Ridge Grappler which seems like a good all-around tire. I like the Toyo/Nitto carcasses and have had great luck balancing them. I like the Duratrac but I've seen too many sidewall punctures on the trail (first hand) to consider them. Plus I've never been a fan of Goodyears after running my Kevlars.

My selection is down to:
- Nitto Ridge Grappler
- Cooper STT Pro
- Mickey Thompson MTZ P3
- Cooper ST Maxx

Awesome platform Addison, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! I'm also interested in your opinion of the Icon suspension, Ive been looking at the 2.5 CDCV series as a compromise instead of LT.

Jeremiah, glad to see you over here! I've actually been meaning to drop in on your thread on T4R and see what magic you were up to on the 3rd Gen. I really really liked my Fox's but a few of the guys I wheel with swear by the Icons. 20% off for Black Friday and I thought WTH? I didn't get the CDCV's as I couldnt justify the price increase. Having them on the Tundra was cool but after I got them dialed in, I never touched the dials again. I think they will be most valuable in the rear where your load is constantly changing. Up front once you have a winch and a bumper I feel like you'll set it and forget it. Or at least I wasn't going to dial them around each time I went from highway to trail. All depends on the uses though, and now that I say that, watch me regret not getting the CDCV's for the 4Runner.

Hope all is well. I need to do Moab again, lets meet! haha

Addison,

With another one on the way my 04 AC may be on the chopping block too, what was your thinking / rationale for going with a 4th Gen 4RNR vs. the GX470? Seems the used market for the GX is more favorable due to less demand (and knowledge) of the platform. Nearly identical power train with different styling....those 2 have made it to my shortlist along with the 1st Gen Sequoia...

I was looking for both a 4th Gen and GX. Seems like everybody shopping this vehicle does the same, especially if the V8 is a requirement (like it was for me). It's very difficult finding clean older Toyotas up here due to corrosion. You basically have to look at the coast as there are only a few rare examples you'll come across in AB that are clean. I did find a very nice GX470 in Calgary that I drove a week before I bought my T4R. It had 5x the mileage (literally) but was quite clean for a local truck. Problem was that it was still $1500 more than what I paid for my 4Runner. Seemed like the GX's were always 5-7k more expensive, at least in our market. The interior is nicer but I couldnt justify the extra cost. And after coming from the Tundra, I'm actually quite excited to have a lot of aftermarket support to build off of. The GX has a few solid vendors and the suspension etc. is easy but you only have a couple options for armor. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either. It does "feel" like a more modern vehicle than the Tundra, and probably the 1st Gen Sequoia too.

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

We had snow on the forecast this weekend and my wife and I had yet to source a Christmas tree. A couple calls later and we had a small posse together to spend a few hours in the mountains today as we hunted for a Christmas tree. Nothing crazy but there was a solid 6-8" of fresh snow and we spent most of the day bombing up and down logging roads. It was nice to drive the stock 4Runner offroad. Gives me a good baseline and immediately highlighted a few things that I am looking forward to when the new parts show up.

Also installed a Kenwood DDX393BT Double DIN HU with the PAC SWI-RC steering control interface and the TYTO JBL interface. Rear view camera in the works as well as the bluetooth mic, and both interfaces, combined with poor instructions made it an interesting wiring endeavor. As usual, with help from the forums I was able to figure it out and am actually quite happy with the JBL factory system now that I can run Spotify to the HU. No need for a speaker upgrade. Just waiting for the Scoche dash kit to land and then I will grab a few photos of the interior.

/sidetrack. Pics from today:

IMG_8331.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Ian hooning gallore. Sure makes me miss RWD. haha

IMG_8351.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Vic getting sideways:

IMG_8384.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

And the prize, of course:

IMG_8330.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member