*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

As I wait for some of my parts to show up, I have been tinkering with some of the interior items in my spare time. If you've followed my previous builds at all, you have probably heard me talk of the "small details" and IMO how they are what sets a build apart and truly makes something unique.

Taking those sentiments to heart, I wanted to get rid of the cheesy fake-granite looking trim around the HVAC controls and center console area. Some may think it "ricey" but I'm a big fan of carbon fibre. I had a roll of the 3M carbon fiber left over from a previous project and I was excited to use it in RickRunner. The cool thing about this particular product is that its not just a carbon-looking image, its actual woven plastic that gives it a carbon-fibre texture and look. You can actually feel the woven pattern if you run your hand across it. Very cool stuff, you can heat it and stretch it around corners. If you mess up, you simply peel it back and re-heat it. Very forgiving for a rookie like me. haha

Pieces out:

IMG_8288.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Removing the HVAC "dials"

IMG_8290.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_8291.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

All the pieces removed and ready for the 3M

IMG_8294.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Close-up:

IMG_8296.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

All done, good for at least 40 hp ;) Still need to do the small strip on each of the doors but I'll do that this week.

IMG_8295.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Also got our first batch of Tamarack Media Co. decals in. Pretty cool how far our business has come in such a short time period. Glad to finally rep the brand.

IMG_8276.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_8281.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_8282.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Also note the Kenwood DDX393 that I picked up along with the Tyto module to run with the JBL system and also the SWI-RC module to retain steering wheel functionality. The wiring was a bit of a mess but I'm making progress on it. Everything is in and working now except the steering wheel controls. I ordered a rear camera and dash kit off of Amazon, so once those show up I will be able to get everything back together. I am quite surprised how the JBL system sounds with a digital audio input. I really don't see the need to upgrade the speakers although I might swap out the factory sub for a JL or Pioneer unit.

Stock form for reference:

IMG_8284.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

RickRunner patiently waiting for more parts....

IMG_8285.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
CF Wrap looks great.
Decals look great.

Have fun with the wiring for the radio. All the SWC/JBL Adapter are a PITA, but, well worth it.
I to have wondered what the sound increase would sound like. I have no inputs on my Stock 6 DISC changer. Trips with a FM module or what I've used recently, a Cassete Adapter, produce that god awefull hum. A double din in something Ive wanted for a while.

vicali

Adventurer
Nice Addison, I like the new gear shop decal.. my old one came off last winter- I don't know how long I drove around with it missing letters.. 'The ear shop' got free advertising for a few days..

City_Rider

Adventurer
Good to see that wrap still being used up! Rig looks good - were those highway km's or short trip km's on it? That's the only thing I would think about with a low mileage rig. Shoot, these are Toyota's we're talking about (and you're going to change basically everything anyways!).

Have fun, I'll be creeping.

rickashay

Explorer
Like :jumping::jumping:

Thanks!

CF Wrap looks great.
Decals look great.

Have fun with the wiring for the radio. All the SWC/JBL Adapter are a PITA, but, well worth it.
I to have wondered what the sound increase would sound like. I have no inputs on my Stock 6 DISC changer. Trips with a FM module or what I've used recently, a Cassete Adapter, produce that god awefull hum. A double din in something Ive wanted for a while.

Yah I used a cheap tape deck adaptor when I drove it home from Vancouver. It was aweful so I knew it had to change. Should have all the wiring done by this weekend.

Nice touch!

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Thanks guys!

Nice Addison, I like the new gear shop decal.. my old one came off last winter- I don't know how long I drove around with it missing letters.. 'The ear shop' got free advertising for a few days..

Yah the decals don't usually last forever. I'm lucky though that I can drop in and grab new Gear Shop decals quite easily ;)

Good to see that wrap still being used up! Rig looks good - were those highway km's or short trip km's on it? That's the only thing I would think about with a low mileage rig. Shoot, these are Toyota's we're talking about (and you're going to change basically everything anyways!).

Have fun, I'll be creeping.

Thanks for the vinyl. So easy to work with and glad you turned me onto the stuff. Oh probably all city kms... when I drove it home it was definitely removing some carbon from the engine. Or at least thats my assumption from the drastic increase in MPG over the course of the journey back to AB. Stoked to see the van build, when does it start?!

Planning a DIY Retrofit or having some built? I am a builder if you need a set...

He is gonna do it himself probably. He used to be a builder lol. He did my tundra before getting out of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer, but Jose nailed it! I've done too many to count. I actually used to have a small headlight business while I was in University called "Headlight Hookup". Will be building these myself.

Dude! Addison. Congrats on the Expo feature! Just saw it on Facebook.
http://expeditionportal.com/colossal-2016/

Hey thanks Jeremiah! We've been working hard to get featured on Expo. Stoked to see our efforts paying off.

Side note. Still jelly of your snow wheeling pics. I want some!

UPDATE

It was convenient having USD in my bank account while all the Black Friday sales were happening. :elkgrin:

Inbound:
- Metal Tech rear LCA's and UCA's
- Metal Tech LT rear springs
- Icon LT rear shocks
- Icon 2.5" C/O's with Reservoirs
- Rear extended lines
- Metal Tech bumpstop drop spacers
- Total Chaos LCA mount skids
- RuTech AIP module/bypass plates
- Pelfreybilt aluminum front bumper

Also working on what wheels I'm gunna be running. Thinking of going beadlocks. Now I need to save up for a few months so I can afford to actually put tires on the thing. haha

ukrboy

Observer
Thanks!

Yah I used a cheap tape deck adaptor when I drove it home from Vancouver. It was aweful so I knew it had to change. Should have all the wiring done by this weekend.

Thanks guys!

Yah the decals don't usually last forever. I'm lucky though that I can drop in and grab new Gear Shop decals quite easily ;)

Thanks for the vinyl. So easy to work with and glad you turned me onto the stuff. Oh probably all city kms... when I drove it home it was definitely removing some carbon from the engine. Or at least thats my assumption from the drastic increase in MPG over the course of the journey back to AB. Stoked to see the van build, when does it start?!

Thanks for the offer, but Jose nailed it! I've done too many to count. I actually used to have a small headlight business while I was in University called "Headlight Hookup". Will be building these myself.

Hey thanks Jeremiah! We've been working hard to get featured on Expo. Stoked to see our efforts paying off.

Side note. Still jelly of your snow wheeling pics. I want some!

UPDATE

It was convenient having USD in my bank account while all the Black Friday sales were happening. :elkgrin:

Inbound:
- Icon LT rear shocks
- Rear extended lines

Also working on what wheels I'm gunna be running. Thinking of going beadlocks. Now I need to save up for a few months so I can afford to actually put tires on the thing. haha

Yup. Definitely taking it slow hahaha

soonenough

Explorer
November 21:
Before I dive too deep into this thing, I am going to take the initial build slow and take care of a lot of the smaller details I always seem to miss when parts start showing up.

November 29:
Inbound:
- Icon LT rear shocks
- Rear extended lines
Haha sorry couldn't resist. In all seriousness though, every one of your builds has been better than the one before it, so I know this is gonna be epic. Looking forward to what's coming...

mouse007

Explorer
WOW...!!! This is awesome, can't wait to see and read more about it. Your photo skills are on-point, I need to learn to take better pictures.

rickashay

Explorer
Yup. Definitely taking it slow hahaha

Haha sorry couldn't resist. In all seriousness though, every one of your builds has been better than the one before it, so I know this is gonna be epic. Looking forward to what's coming...

LOL I deserve this. But if we are playing a game of quotes, here is one of my own:

With #Doug now officially gone, I figured it was time to bring this over here.

Well, here I go again...

It's safe to say that I might have a problem.

Lol Well then, I think that answers it.....Oh and I just caved and got the beadlocks I've been hum-haw'ing over for several years. :peepwall: Can't wait to wheel in the snow with 4 psi!!

In all seriousness though, I still don't think this thing will be on the road with all these new parts until spring. Going to "slowly" tear it all down and build it back up in the garage before it touches dirt. It costs too much to mod progressively over time, Ryan I think you have quoted the "buy once, cry once" before. Your words ring true!

WOW...!!! This is awesome, can't wait to see and read more about it. Your photo skills are on-point, I need to learn to take better pictures.

Haha thanks man! It's all in the camera ;) Seriously does make it too easy sometimes.

Side note, YAY for OPEC cuts. Maybe I'll be able to afford Long Travel in the near future after all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz