*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

MCObray

Explorer
Mm those Icons! Your Runner is going to be dialed when all parts are installed, and as always, the documentation is A+.

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
Haven't had time to do this yet. BUT there is a small hump in the rear portion of the front seat rails. People have cut the rail (slits in the sides), folded the rail so it lies flat on the floor, and re-drilled the rear seat mounting hole. It drops the seat by a couple inches which is awesome for us tall people. The 4th Gens (with sunroofs) are aweful for headroom and this is a cheap and easy fix. Also a good thing to practice my welding skills on! I'll post details when it's done.

Yah lets stay in touch this year. I'm always game to travel, just sucks the US dollar is killing us Canadians for the exchange rate right now - 35% additional added onto the cost of everything we buy in the US right now once it hits your credit card. OUCH!

I agree though, the major transformation is fun. I think after building my 3rd Gen 4Runner relatively slow (over a few years) I saw how much time/money I waisted doing things multiple times. Now I just aim straight for the end goal and what I need to do to get there.

Thanks man! I haven't really explained the back story on this rig. Makes the "clean up" process a little more interesting. lol I have been planning to write a short blog entry on RickRunner's history which maybe I will do next week.

I'm going crazy... just itching to turn wrenches but still waiting on rear coils and Total Chaos UCA's. This is me complaining about pointless ****.

We (Tamarack Media Co) got to head to Revelstoke BC last weekend to film the Absolut Vodka Bartending competition. Super fun as we stayed on the ski resort and got to take a cat up to one of the peaks at sunrise for some drone footage. I've never filmed an event of that nature before so it was pretty fun, very busy - but fun. We were in need of some lighting so we picked up a LED Lumahawk. Pretty cool rig that has a Li-Ion battery and you are able to adjust not only output power but color temperature. Goes from 3300K up to 6800K and mounts on a standard tripod. Pretty cool.

Needless to say, when I got back to Calgary I wanted to play around with the light some more and did some cool "product shots" of some of the junk I have laying around my garage.

IMG_9169.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Finally, a decent shot of the new kicks - you can tell I was playing around with the color temp ;)

IMG_9185.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Sorry for the slow pace. Should be back to some regular action once either of the items listed above shows up.

Also looking for feedback on tires... if you have personal experience with the following, lets hear it!

- Mickey Thompson MTZ P3
- Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
- Nitto Ridge Grappler

** We are starting to kickoff our blog over on the Tamarack website: Daily Grind ? Tamarack Media Co. My brother Chase and I are building our Toyotas in-part for use with our media company. I plan to keep the build thread up to date but will be doing short-versions of my posts here. If you have any interest in the thinking and decision making process behind the build and components, I'd encourage you to bookmark our blog page and check back for some more regular content. Hell you might even catch the od video over there! Oh, also encourage you to checkout the 2016 highlight reel on the Home page. Thanks all! **

Those wheels are killer! Love seeing the TRD center cap

rickashay

Explorer
No personal experience with any of those tires, but are you worried about their snow performance at all? All three have big lugs with little siping which isn't a confidence inspiring tread pattern for driving in light or packed snow. I do have personal experience with that part of things.

Also, why the switch to Icon?

I agree on the large lugs, they are not ideal for winter driving. However, I see too much benefit in the MT and Hybrid MT/AT tire to fully go to an AT tire. Once offroad a true AT just doesnt hang with the MT's in the terrain that I most frequently run on. I ran my Toyo MT's (Tundra), MTR Kevlars (LX450), and non-P3 MTZ's (3rd Gen 4Runner) all year round as well so I think I know what I'm getting myself into. Although the "hybrid" tires sure have got me thinking of that perfect balance of it all. Now with the beadlocks too, I should actually be able to get away with a more mild tread pattern. Time will tell... get a pretty reasonable quote on some Ridge Grapplers recently.

Icon - just wanted to see the digressive side for myself I think? lol In reality I was planning on going Fox again (great experience with them so far) but with the exchange rate, building a truck is pricey and the 20% sale for Black Friday on all things Icon made it easy to jump on the sale. And I was certain on the rear Metal Tech long travel setup and they also offer it with Icon shocks, so the discount and alignment with my goals just lined up. One day I plan on running the full +3.5" Long Travel on this truck... if I don't like the Icon's I'll switch it up then!

I have a set of the mtz p3's on my crewmax. Love them. Easy balance and great road manners, but really shine on rough dirt roads. Have quite a few miles in the snow and ice of the eastern Sierras, they are exceptional. Far exceed the Goodyear duramax tires it lost for these in traction and durability.

Good to hear! I was curious how well they would do in the snow/ice. I know the old MTZ's were actually decent for a full MT tire in those winter conditions. Didnt want to run the P3 on your 4th Gen?

Mm those Icons! Your Runner is going to be dialed when all parts are installed, and as always, the documentation is A+.

Thanks dude, appreciate the kind words.

Those wheels are killer! Love seeing the TRD center cap

Thanks Bailey! I actually saved all of my Baja Design lights off the Tundra cause I loved them so much. Which reminds me... I need to touch base with you on some more lights for my new bumper. I'll fire you an email in the next few days.

owyheerat

Adventurer
Addison, I don't post much, but I have been following your builds for years. Your 'Dirt Duster' build on T4R.org has been an inspiration to me (and many others), then Tom Cruiser, then Doug, now RickRunner. I look forward to seeing where this one ends up. I'm am extremely confident it will be the best built 4th gen I've ever seen.

One question on auxiliary lights. Which Baja Designs do you have? Sorry if I missed it. I have read more than once that they are the best you have tried. And it sounds like you will be installing them on the RickRunner?

Thanks in advance for the info. And thanks for all the informative posts and Awesome trip reports with AMAZING photos.

Durwin

seanpistol

Explorer
You figure out tires yet?

Saw a set of RidgeGrapplers somewhat recently and they looked cool in person. I had a set of Nitto M/Ts and hated them.

I got my Method beadlocks from Rebel Off-road in California. They tried to install a set of Cooper STT Pros on the same wheels and it wouldn't work because that specific tire has such a thick lip where the beadlock ring clamps over it. They ended up switching that customers tire to a Toyo M/T and had no issues. Not sure your beadlocks would have the same problem, but something to be aware of.

I've been looking at the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 myself. Zidaro said he had the MTZ P3 on the previous page but he actually has the ATZ P3. It's basically a Cooper ST MAXX. Made by Cooper, almost the same tread pattern but with an extra sipe on each outside lug and supposedly "better" rubber compounds, whatever that means.

I'm all about the hybrid AT/MT. I'd love a mud terrain, but I need better tires than that for daily driving - commuting on the pavement, hardpack snow...

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I'm all about the hybrid AT/MT. I'd love a mud terrain, but I need better tires than that for daily driving - commuting on the pavement, hardpack snow...

Same here. My KM2's were terrible on packed snow (no surprise really), loud on the highway, (again, no surprise), longer acceleration & decreased fuel economy, (shocker), and didn't last long (see a pattern?).

Those reasons drove me to a hybrid A/T tire. I came to grips with the fact that if the going gets that tough then a M/T really isn't going to make my rig that much more capable to put up with the negative aspects.
My 2 cents FWIW.

rickashay

Explorer
Really want one of these V8 4Runners. Excited to see the progress.

Thanks! The 2UZ is king. haha Seriously my favorite Toyota engine for a 4x4.

Addison, I don't post much, but I have been following your builds for years. Your 'Dirt Duster' build on T4R.org has been an inspiration to me (and many others), then Tom Cruiser, then Doug, now RickRunner. I look forward to seeing where this one ends up. I'm am extremely confident it will be the best built 4th gen I've ever seen.

One question on auxiliary lights. Which Baja Designs do you have? Sorry if I missed it. I have read more than once that they are the best you have tried. And it sounds like you will be installing them on the RickRunner?

Thanks in advance for the info. And thanks for all the informative posts and Awesome trip reports with AMAZING photos.

Durwin

Hey Durwin, Thank you for the kind words and following along. Those are some large expectations to live up to! There are a lot of nice 4th Gen 4Runners out there. I just hope I can build one that meets my needs and make it "tasteful" while I'm at it! Appreciate you taking the time to post.

RE: Baja Designs - I am going to run the same 3x XL Pro lights that I had on my Tundra. I was running the center one with the "spot" bezels and the 2x side ones with the "combo" bezels. Planning on running an additional pair of Squardrons with the yellow "flood" or "wide cornering" bezels in the bumper that will be wired to my factory fog light switch. I seem to be getting caught in more storms on the highway than ever in the last couple years and I think it's time to dedicate some good lighting to those circumstances, thus the yellow fogs. Combined with the XL Pros and the Lexus LS430 projector retrofit in the works, the lighting game of RickRunner should be on-point!

You figure out tires yet?

Saw a set of RidgeGrapplers somewhat recently and they looked cool in person. I had a set of Nitto M/Ts and hated them.

I got my Method beadlocks from Rebel Off-road in California. They tried to install a set of Cooper STT Pros on the same wheels and it wouldn't work because that specific tire has such a thick lip where the beadlock ring clamps over it. They ended up switching that customers tire to a Toyo M/T and had no issues. Not sure your beadlocks would have the same problem, but something to be aware of.

I've been looking at the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 myself. Zidaro said he had the MTZ P3 on the previous page but he actually has the ATZ P3. It's basically a Cooper ST MAXX. Made by Cooper, almost the same tread pattern but with an extra sipe on each outside lug and supposedly "better" rubber compounds, whatever that means.

Good info Sean, thanks! I would not have thought of that and it is a valid point. You think we could compare measurements of the "gap" between the inner beadlock edge and outer rim edge where the tire mounts? I wonder how much tolerance for tire width there is between my OMF/SCS's and your Methods?

The more I think about it the more I am leaning to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They are the same carcass as the Toyo (RT) tires and I loved my Toyo MT's. I can see how the Nitto MT wouldn't be very good (IMO) as I have never been a fan of the actual tread design pattern, although I am sure it was a good quality tire. The only hang up is that we did approach Cooper Tires to do a little video work for them so I will be going with Cooper tires if they accept our proposal. Otherwise I think I'm set on the Nitto's. Probably going 295/70/17 as the 4Runner may be in my DD rotation sooner than later. Can always bump to 35's when I go full LT like you down the road! haha

When you back stateside? Thinking about a US trip this spring/summer. And/Or you should make the rive up here for Colossal in Sept. 2017!

Same here. My KM2's were terrible on packed snow (no surprise really), loud on the highway, (again, no surprise), longer acceleration & decreased fuel economy, (shocker), and didn't last long (see a pattern?).

Those reasons drove me to a hybrid A/T tire. I came to grips with the fact that if the going gets that tough then a M/T really isn't going to make my rig that much more capable to put up with the negative aspects.
My 2 cents FWIW.

I hear you Jeremiah. The MT's are extremely capable but I find the practicality aspect weighing more on my decisions now than with previous builds. Especially since this may well become a DD child hauler sooner than later and not a 3rd (or 4th) vehicle in the garage! haha Also see note above...

I absolutely love my duratracs, by far the best tire I have run on my tundra.

Sean

I bet 50% of the guys up here run the Duratracs for their prowess in many situations. They seem like a great tire but I have also seen them (first-hand) get sidewall punctures on too many occasions for me to consider them up here. Too many roots and sharp branches on our trails!

Sempertoy

Explorer
wow, forget to log into expo for a few months, and you have already sold the tundra and bought a replacement. and you are already further along in that build than I am with my 100 I have had for over a year.... Looking good man, im sure this will be a beauty just like all the others.

rickashay

Explorer
US trip, eh? Lemme know when and where. I'd enjoy hitting the trails with you and Rick.

I should have more info in the next couple weeks. Thinking late April or early May if it works out as planned.

wow, forget to log into expo for a few months, and you have already sold the tundra and bought a replacement. and you are already further along in that build than I am with my 100 I have had for over a year.... Looking good man, im sure this will be a beauty just like all the others.

Thanks for checking in! How are you liking the Hundy? Especially compared to your old monster of an 80? Loved that rig.

UPDATE

This thread is currently farther along than our blog posts but that is about to change in the near future. I'll keep this thread up to date with the high level items and it will always be open for conversing, but soon the details and thought process will have to be found by hitting the "Daily Grind" section of our website.

This blog post about levels me with this thread in terms of truck process EXCEPT for the wicked video edit Chase (my brother/ co-founder of Tamarack) through together at the end. Head on over and check it out and thanks for following along!

http://www.tamarackmediaco.com/dailygrind/2017/2/14/odds-a-pile-of-ends

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
Am going to do a full write up on RickRunner's lighting system in the near future. None of the cars I own right now have HID setups right now and I am really missing the benefits of good lighting performance as I am on the highway a lot lately. Missing the old Tundra FX-R retrofit and those awesome Baja Design LEDs. I basically 'snapped' last night after driving two hours in the fog at night.... time to get started on the retrofit.

A couple teasers until the finished product is done. Any lighting nerds (like me!) out there know what I'm working with here?! Whole lotta HID goodness.

IMG_9674.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_9678.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

And no... not running quads. I'm building a set for myself while I build a set for another 4Runner member. Although quads would be pretty rad!

soonenough

Explorer
Any lighting nerds (like me!) out there know what I'm working with here?! Whole lotta HID goodness.
I know you're a fan of Lexus projectors, and I don't think those are 460s (which makes sense given that you have a separate lamp for high beams), so I'm guessing LS430s :confused:
SaveSave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior