*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

rickashay

Explorer
Addison I had a buddy in highschool that used his wheels as a coffee table when it was winter.. was pretty wicked & ya almost too pretty scratch & get dirty.. what tire size going with?? & cant't wait to see them mounted

Haha yah it's tempting... Still on the fence, either 34's or 35's.

The machined ring with recessed bolts looks amazing. My dream wheels are bronze f5s with the same beadlock ring. Well done.

Thanks! I was debating F5's also as they have always been my favorite wheel (as you can tell from how many sets of them I've owned). For some reason though, I just don't think the F5 design works well on the 4th Gen. Thus moving to the Ray 10's. Love Vin @ SCS's spinoff of the "classic" MT style wheel in the Ray10.

Those wheels.....:drool:

Haha thanks!

Wheels lookin slick bro. Can't wait to see em in person!

Thanks bro. Stoked to get both our rigs out on the trail.

LACK OF UPDATE

Enjoying the time back in BC. Sure do wish I had the 4Runner up and running though with all this snow. The conditions are unreal for snow wheeling! Lost my cell phone while I was out with the drone the other day...certainly limiting my instagram access. First world problems. haha

Obligatory short of the daily covered in snow:
IMG_8567 by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.

Go4Lo

Explorer
LACK OF UPDATE

Enjoying the time back in BC. Sure do wish I had the 4Runner up and running though with all this snow. The conditions are unreal for snow wheeling! Lost my cell phone while I was out with the drone the other day...certainly limiting my instagram access. First world problems. haha

Obligatory short of the daily covered in snow:
IMG_8567 by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.

Nice B5.5 Passat! 4-motion can be a blast in the snow ; )

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Wow those converted wheels came out amazing! i was debating sending my crawler Copper Ray10's into convert them.
But i am going to unload the black Sr8's that my wife picked out for her tundra. I want to go back to the 6's.
Being local to VIN is a plus. I will work with him any day of the week! Its funny how his personality directly correlates to his wheel design and over all business ethics...
I think i am on set 5 now from him.
If you dont mind me asking what did it cost to get those converted, all said and done. Feel free to PM me if you dont want prices out there..

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Addison,

Just found out you had this build up. Such an awesome looking rig you picked up! Can't wait to see what direction you take the truck in. I've always loved your detail work. Also, cool to hear that Doug is stomping around my neck of the woods down here in Montana.

rickashay

Explorer
Wow those converted wheels came out amazing! i was debating sending my crawler Copper Ray10's into convert them.
But i am going to unload the black Sr8's that my wife picked out for her tundra. I want to go back to the 6's.
Being local to VIN is a plus. I will work with him any day of the week! Its funny how his personality directly correlates to his wheel design and over all business ethics...
I think i am on set 5 now from him.
If you dont mind me asking what did it cost to get those converted, all said and done. Feel free to PM me if you dont want prices out there..

Yah Vin is a great dude and has an eye for detail. His wheel designs are super clean and his price point and color options make them hard to find any faults. Always good customer service as well!

You'll have to fire Vin and email for pricing. I am a member of TeamStealth and pricing is kept confidential. I do recall reading some posts though and I think you'll be in the ballpark of most of the other beadlocks on the market once you convert these. Depends how crazy you go with the OMF conversion though, all the fancy hardware can really ad up!

Addison,

Just found out you had this build up. Such an awesome looking rig you picked up! Can't wait to see what direction you take the truck in. I've always loved your detail work. Also, cool to hear that Doug is stomping around my neck of the woods down here in Montana.

Thanks! Glad you found it, its been a slow start but fast paced at the same time? Lots of parts piling up but not much physical progress on the truck. I keep lurking on your Frontier build from time to time and really enjoy your photography. We should still try to get together one of these days! Doug is actually down in Colorado, I just met the new owner at the border in MT and he drove it home.

UPDATE

Have had a little time over the last couple weeks to tinker on the 4Runner. Still waiting for parts to show up but it seems like some of the most crucial components are still not here and holding me up. Suspension, brake lines, bump stops, links are all here... but I am waiitng on backordered MetalTech rear coils and Total Chaos UCA's. I wish one of them would land so I could at least start turning wrenches on one side of the suspension! Oh well, should be making a trip down to MT in a couple weeks at which point I'm hoping to have everything I need. Front bumper is even down there waiting, but I'll have more info on that unto itself when I install it.

Like I said at the beginning, I would be taking the build slow....(lol) parts have been piling up but RickRunner is still stock basically. Using this "down time" to hit some of the finer details before I am able to tear into it.

We had a chinook blow through Calgary and saw temperatures of +11 degrees C. Warm enough to paint :) I cleaned up the undercarriage a little, dropped the spare tire and applied some rust prevention primer to all the frame welds, then followed it up with a coat of gloss black chassis paint. Really happy with the results. Hopefully this helps keep the rust away and allows me to battle it one winter at a time. I still can't believe how clean this 4Runner is:

IMG_8586.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_8587.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Finished the 3M carbon wrap on all 4 of the door panels. Nice to have no more "fake marble" trim:

IMG_8600.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Pulled apart the dash for the 20th time - getting pretty fast at tearing the console apart! haha Installed a RAM mount for my phone/tablet and also a BlueSea USB port to charge the phone or tablet while in use.

IMG_8599.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

RAM mount removed for the DD look:

IMG_8602.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Random shot. Love the 4th Gen guages, and I never get tired of that low mileage! haha

IMG_8604.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Starting to think about cargo management as well. Have a couple good sketches now for the rear storage/sleep platform and very excited to get started on it in the spring. In the meantime just organizing my gear a little better and appreciating things like this BlueRidge Overland visor MOLLE setup:

IMG_8606.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

That's all for now. Might attempt the front seat mod tomorrow or start on my projector retrofit. The LS430 projectors are gunna look right at home in the pre 05' housings. Stoked for proper light output again, missing the Tundra headlights big time!

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That looks great!

Yeah but that's a fun way to do it. Build up a lot of parts and make a big transformation. My wife and I have planned that when we finally get me into another rig, we'll save up the money to buy the truck and the parts basically at once, that way I can take a whole weekend and transform it at once.

Thanks! The build is slowing down a lot. Not much left to do, especially now that I've swapped out the front diff for something stronger.

I agree, we do have to get together. My wife and I are always looking to get back up to Canada, or if you like there's a bunch of awesome trails in my neck of the woods. We definitely should though.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Nice

You've really cleaned this thing up. Hope you get your remaining suspension components soon so we can can see the transformation. The 4th Gen is on my short list for a next vehicle but more than likely a 10-13 GX460, 05-06 Tundra or 2nd gen Tacoma. Keep up the good work.

rickashay

Explorer
Wow, looks mint! What do you mean by the front seat mod?

Haven't had time to do this yet. BUT there is a small hump in the rear portion of the front seat rails. People have cut the rail (slits in the sides), folded the rail so it lies flat on the floor, and re-drilled the rear seat mounting hole. It drops the seat by a couple inches which is awesome for us tall people. The 4th Gens (with sunroofs) are aweful for headroom and this is a cheap and easy fix. Also a good thing to practice my welding skills on! I'll post details when it's done.

That looks great!

Yeah but that's a fun way to do it. Build up a lot of parts and make a big transformation. My wife and I have planned that when we finally get me into another rig, we'll save up the money to buy the truck and the parts basically at once, that way I can take a whole weekend and transform it at once.

Thanks! The build is slowing down a lot. Not much left to do, especially now that I've swapped out the front diff for something stronger.

I agree, we do have to get together. My wife and I are always looking to get back up to Canada, or if you like there's a bunch of awesome trails in my neck of the woods. We definitely should though.

Yah lets stay in touch this year. I'm always game to travel, just sucks the US dollar is killing us Canadians for the exchange rate right now - 35% additional added onto the cost of everything we buy in the US right now once it hits your credit card. OUCH!

I agree though, the major transformation is fun. I think after building my 3rd Gen 4Runner relatively slow (over a few years) I saw how much time/money I waisted doing things multiple times. Now I just aim straight for the end goal and what I need to do to get there.

You've really cleaned this thing up. Hope you get your remaining suspension components soon so we can can see the transformation. The 4th Gen is on my short list for a next vehicle but more than likely a 10-13 GX460, 05-06 Tundra or 2nd gen Tacoma. Keep up the good work.

Thanks man! I haven't really explained the back story on this rig. Makes the "clean up" process a little more interesting. lol I have been planning to write a short blog entry on RickRunner's history which maybe I will do next week.

I'm going crazy... just itching to turn wrenches but still waiting on rear coils and Total Chaos UCA's. This is me complaining about pointless ****.

We (Tamarack Media Co) got to head to Revelstoke BC last weekend to film the Absolut Vodka Bartending competition. Super fun as we stayed on the ski resort and got to take a cat up to one of the peaks at sunrise for some drone footage. I've never filmed an event of that nature before so it was pretty fun, very busy - but fun. We were in need of some lighting so we picked up a LED Lumahawk. Pretty cool rig that has a Li-Ion battery and you are able to adjust not only output power but color temperature. Goes from 3300K up to 6800K and mounts on a standard tripod. Pretty cool.

Needless to say, when I got back to Calgary I wanted to play around with the light some more and did some cool "product shots" of some of the junk I have laying around my garage.

IMG_9169.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Finally, a decent shot of the new kicks - you can tell I was playing around with the color temp ;)

IMG_9185.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Sorry for the slow pace. Should be back to some regular action once either of the items listed above shows up.

Also looking for feedback on tires... if you have personal experience with the following, lets hear it!

- Mickey Thompson MTZ P3
- Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
- Nitto Ridge Grappler

** We are starting to kickoff our blog over on the Tamarack website: Daily Grind ? Tamarack Media Co. My brother Chase and I are building our Toyotas in-part for use with our media company. I plan to keep the build thread up to date but will be doing short-versions of my posts here. If you have any interest in the thinking and decision making process behind the build and components, I'd encourage you to bookmark our blog page and check back for some more regular content. Hell you might even catch the od video over there! Oh, also encourage you to checkout the 2016 highlight reel on the Home page. Thanks all! **

Go4Lo

Explorer
Addison, maybe I missed it but what size are your SCS wheels? Drooling over all those shiny new parts...

rickashay

Explorer
Addison, maybe I missed it but what size are your SCS wheels? Drooling over all those shiny new parts...

They are (were) 17x8.5 straight from SCS. With the OMF conversion they are sitting closer to 17x9.25". I will also be running Bora 0.75" wheel spacers with my setup on all 4 corners to try and achieve the offset I am after. I forget what I calculated the final offset (with spacers) included to be off the top of my head. I'll put some more specific info in here once I dig up my calcs, or do them again when I get home.

Adventurous

Explorer
No personal experience with any of those tires, but are you worried about their snow performance at all? All three have big lugs with little siping which isn't a confidence inspiring tread pattern for driving in light or packed snow. I do have personal experience with that part of things.

Also, why the switch to Icon?

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
I have a set of the mtz p3's on my crewmax. Love them. Easy balance and great road manners, but really shine on rough dirt roads. Have quite a few miles in the snow and ice of the eastern Sierras, they are exceptional. Far exceed the Goodyear duramax tires it lost for these in traction and durability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior