*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

rickashay

Explorer
Amazing views and nice trip report. Photos are unreal of how much you can see up there. Love it
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jose! Yah it doesn't get much better. All 360 degrees of view are wicked.

Looks so nice. Those rivers look enticing... :REOutIceFishing:

You have no idea! That river pictured is renown for it's massive trout species. Largest one caught on record was 52 lbs!!!

Nice pics Addison - makes my koots tingle.. not even that smokey for the end of July. I've been watching the fire south of you - glad to see it's not doing much.

Lol yah it was a great trip. Glad I took advantage of it too cause we have been banned from all fire roads since the following weekend we took this trip.

Bravo Addison.

Thanks Jeremiah! How are you doing? Haven't seen many camping/action shots of your rig this year, what gives?

What year is that sweet silver T4R v8? Is that the 05?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also what model is it?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my 05' V8 Limited (this thread is the build thread for it). It's a pretty awesome setup!

Sweet campspot!! Love perch camping.

And totally digging the ARB awning room camp. This is the route i think I'm going with the runner. So simple and non-obtrusive full protection from the elements and bugs. plus you get shade anytime, and a full room with floorpan when you want. LOVE IT!!!
what is the awning size you have?

I still would like to go hardshell RTT simply for the quick setup/tear down and the ability to store your bedding inside. That being said, this awning setup has been great. The newer ARB's have the full mesh wallls and then the full canvas walls overtop. Previous versions just had windows in the canvas. It's pretty awesome cause you can sleep in the full mesh area if the weather is nice enough, or zip down the canvas on the colder nights. I do love the non-obtrusive look to the awning as well. Truck looks so clean with the empty Prinsu.

I agree sweet spot!

Thanks! Was just creeping on your build as well. Looks like your yearly trip did not disappoint - some excellent photos as usual. Hows the +2" LT treating you? Worth the upgrade?

UPDATE

Got my rear Rally Armor mudflaps mounted. Used 2 of the factory flare attachment points and then fabrication a couple brackets to make them sit where I wanted them to. Turned out pretty good but still need to throw the fronts on. Hard to see them in this pic but the best I have ATM.

_08I3410.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

I was out for a photo session when I grabbed the picture above. I actually ended up using my Baja Designs camp lights to give some extra lighting for our subject. Pretty funny! Another random pic while my truck was clean and I couldn't resist:

_08I3405.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Thanks Jeremiah! How are you doing? Haven't seen many camping/action shots of your rig this year, what gives?

Oh I've been out and about for sure! Mostly posting on Instagram these days, I need to get back on this forum. Too many media platforms, I need to cut back haha.

If you end up down in the PNW for whatever reason hit me up!

How's TMCO these days??

rickashay

Explorer
Oh I've been out and about for sure! Mostly posting on Instagram these days, I need to get back on this forum. Too many media platforms, I need to cut back haha.

If you end up down in the PNW for whatever reason hit me up!

How's TMCO these days??

Good to hear! Whats your IG handle again? I probably follow you but like you said it's hard to keep track of all the media platfoms and usernames.

TMCO is great! We are getting busier and busier. The contracts are also growing in size too so it's moving in the direction we want it to go. We've done so much work and done a poor job of posting it on our website. I'll make sure that we share the Cooper Tire and Element Fabrication projects we are about to wrap up though. Some good 4x4 related work at least! Been working with RED cameras a lot this summer (which is pretty rad) and even jumped into a Canon 1DX MkII ourselves. Now looking at the next step - maybe a commercial drone to haul the 1DX and/or RED cinema cameras. We shall see...

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

Been tidying up some small items in my spare time. Diff breather being a super important and simple mod that can prevent a hefty repair bill or amount of work to fix if you blow an axle seal or ruin a diff. Pretty standard mod but I did find some nice screw type clamps for my hose fittings that do not cut into the rubber fuel line like the traditional radiator clamps. These provide even pressure around the fitting and hopefully reduce the chances of tearing the hose over time. Ran the OEM breather (cleaned it and blew through it to ensure it was still working) on the other end of the hose up into the gas filler cap area.

_MG_1633.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

SKID PLATES

I have been working with a company out of Edmonton called "Element" - by RA Motorsports. Previously in the car game building skid plates for Subaru's, the owners deciding to apply their skills to the offroad/adventure crowd. They have some very stand-out design ideas and their products are stellar! A couple of great guys too that I have got to know better as our working partnerships have grown. I really appreciate the angle they are coming at the metal fabrication from... they want to build parts that help get us outside. Not only do they have sliders, skid plates, bumpers, RTT crossbars, etc but they are also building camping equipment like their ************ "puzzle" firepit. More details and video to come, but in the meantime:

Here are a couple decent photos of their 4th Gen full skid plate offerings:

_MG_1628.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

The skids are composed of 4 skid plates made out of aluminum (can't recall thickness off the top of my head, its bothering me now and I will go look tomorrow).
- Front (oil pan and lower radiator coverage): Also notice the width of the front plate, which actually hides the front face of the alignment cam hardware from oncoming rocks. Something some of the other skid plate manufacturers do NOT have!
- Mid (transmission pan coverage)
- Rear (transfer case & new crossmember for additional support)
- Gas Tank (self explanitory)

All the hardware is cadmium coated for corrosion resistance and no holes need to be drilled for fitment. Also note the interlocking design between the plates.

_MG_1630.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Love all the little design elements as well (pun-not-intended) like the riveted logo and the 4 "lines" on the front skids to represent the 4 natural elements. The gas tank skid just looks plain ************ too when you catch it from the side. As far as I know, they will only be offered in an aluminum version currently. The front skid can also be dropped independently to easily perform an oil change.

Contact the guys at elementmetalfab@gmail.com until they have their website live.

Couple more:

_08I0490 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I0454 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I0405 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Repost, but a good side angle of the gas tank skid:

_08I0486 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Nicely done

Every time I see this thing it just gets that much better. It's amazing what you've accomplished with your different vehicles and this is no different. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a newer Toy, preferably GX460 or 5th Gen 4Runner for quite some time now but seeing what you've pulled off with your 4th Gen makes me wonder if this isn't the better buy. Can't beat Toyota quality and can't top this thing! Look forward to more!

rickashay

Explorer
Every time I see this thing it just gets that much better. It's amazing what you've accomplished with your different vehicles and this is no different. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a newer Toy, preferably GX460 or 5th Gen 4Runner for quite some time now but seeing what you've pulled off with your 4th Gen makes me wonder if this isn't the better buy. Can't beat Toyota quality and can't top this thing! Look forward to more!

Thanks for the compliments dude! You're rig is inspiring in it's own right. Classic lines with a more modern powerplant. Thanks for checking in.

Where did you locate those spring clamps at? Any more detailed pictures of the clamps?

I believe they are fuel line clamps. I'll grab a better pic next time I have the truck on the lift at work.

rickashay

Explorer

Ric

Adventurer
LOVE, your write-up and AWESOME pictures, but I just found this so funny,

Nice to have no more "fake marble" trim:
So you add "fake carbon fiber" in its place? lol.
(just giving ya a hard time) :wings:

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
LOVE, your write-up and AWESOME pictures, but I just found this so funny,

So you add "fake carbon fiber" in its place? lol.
(just giving ya a hard time) :wings:

I must be more ricer at heart than italian. LOL I appreciate the good humor and won't be changing a thing. Not until my faux-wood vinyl shows up at least. hahaha

I recently switched over to my winter wheel/tire setup. I'll be daily driving the 4Runner this winter and using it a fair amount on the highway so I am running a dedicated winter highway tire setup. We actually are required by law in BC to run winter tires over the mountain passes so running a MT or AT all year is hard to do in my location. Because I love Toyo's so much I opten for a set of GSi 5's in the biggest size at 285/70R17. Running them on a set of 17x9 Matte Dark Bronze SCS F5's. Love the change in look for the winter and always have the option to throw the beadlocks on for the weekend when the snow gets deep and I need to get out and play in the truck.

A couple snaps from my exploration mission this weekend:

_MG_3997.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

_MG_3988.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

_MG_3989.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

_MG_3991.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz