*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

Looking good, I was surprise to see the trim missing from below the headlight, but sounds like that will be taken care of in short order!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
So slick!

:cool:

Looks great, Addison.

I need a new Tamarack decal...

Also, I have something on my calendar from 22-26 November... :wings:

Thanks Alex. Love seeing your GX updates as well. I actually just helped my best friend buy an 08' silver GX with 50K miles on the clock. I immediately directed him towards your build for some style points.

Sept 22-26*?? I think we could arrange to get you a couple new decals, especially if you make it into Colossal! Really hope you get in the registration, keep checking back on the site.

Was gonna ask what's up with the missing bumper. I must have missed the part where you had an aftermarket one going on. Looking good. I do like the collar match as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jose! Keep seeing your 1st Gen 4Runner wheeling pics on IG. Makes me wanna head south and hit some trail with you! I saw that you sold the AG/Deaver Expo pack, you have another one on the way?

Looking good, I was surprise to see the trim missing from below the headlight, but sounds like that will be taken care of in short order!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Short order indeed... I just broke one of those stupid clips when I was pulling it apart for the first time. Fixed below ;)

UPDATE

Blog post coming soon with more deets. It's been a VERY busy few weeks - so many details to cover but I'll save that for the blog post HERE. Anyway, the big reveal:

_DSC0266.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

_DSC0261.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

_DSC0269.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

_DSC0277.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yeah we renamed it the overland pack. It went to a good home. Got a third one being built. So my truck will be like yours on stands lol
Starting make me wish I colored matched my armor. Wish my tundra was further along build wise. (Lockers/gears) I still wanna head north for a month long wheeling trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BanksyB31

That color combo is deadly man... excited for you... reminds me an 01 IS I had in silver on black Work Meisters with polished lip.

Something showed in my daily search for a rig tonight causing me to take the first train to La Guardia NYC. Waiting for the first flight out in the AM. Hoping this will be the right vehicle for us.

tyv12

Adventurer
Lookin sharp! Are you planning lockers/gearing or is the power ok with the 295s?
Also is it just the picture angle or it seems to be quite a large gap between the fender and the bumper wings on the bumper?

rickashay

Explorer
Yeah we renamed it the overland pack. It went to a good home. Got a third one being built. So my truck will be like yours on stands lol
Starting make me wish I colored matched my armor. Wish my tundra was further along build wise. (Lockers/gears) I still wanna head north for a month long wheeling trip.

Good to know the project is still evolving. Nah Jose, I love the gunmetal bumpers on yours. Different than all the black accented rigs out there!

That color combo is deadly man... excited for you... reminds me an 01 IS I had in silver on black Work Meisters with polished lip.

Something showed in my daily search for a rig tonight causing me to take the first train to La Guardia NYC. Waiting for the first flight out in the AM. Hoping this will be the right vehicle for us.

Let us know! Mmmm Work Meisters. I'd love an IS300 Sportcross with those wheels and a 2JZ-GTE swap. Might have to try my luck at a car once RickRunner is done. lol

Looks great!

Looking good

^Thanks guys!

^^^This makes me consider selling my built 3rd gen...

Addison, sooooo well done! You continue to raise the bar with every build.

Durwin

Thanks Durwin! Very nice compliment. Lots more details to come. The 4th Gen is nice but I still love 3rd Gens... that bodystyle is timeless.

Lookin sharp! Are you planning lockers/gearing or is the power ok with the 295s?
Also is it just the picture angle or it seems to be quite a large gap between the fender and the bumper wings on the bumper?

Not planning on re-gearing at the moment. I do want to ad a rear ARB at the very least but the gears would be more of a "nice to have" than a necessity at this point. Truck feels quite a bit quicker than the Tundra with 35's and 4.56's. Smaller and more narrow tire plus the added power from the vvti and the 5spd trans has me pretty content right now. Keeping this thing light though, the front bumper is aluminum and my fully belly skids will be as well. Only going steel for the sliders.

No the gap does change slightly but it's due to the lines of the 4Runner, not the bumper. Definitely looks worse in the photos than in person though now that I look at it.

Holy hell that's slick

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Cheers!

rickashay

Explorer
Such a good looking vehicle. Well done.

Looking good Addison.. I love that this is the 'family' ride - haha

Thanks gents. Just need an S/C in case I'm late for soccer practice. ;)

UPDATE

Finally was able to get some time to write down more notes on the build as it happened. Head over to the most recent installment of the "Tamarack Times" on our website **HERE**.

_DSC0402.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Still getting things sorted with the truck. The COMEUP SEAL Gen2 RS Winch is now installed and fully wired up. My initial impressions of this unit are very good. Quality and feature set is superb. These winches have been used around the world for ever but are just recently hitting our NA shores. COMEUP has their products on all of the infamous Artic Trucks in Iceland, so I'm pretty sure it will be good for my odd use up here in Canada. I'll do a full write up on the winch itself after I get some use with it. To ensure the winch (and other electrical accessories) have enough jam, I went to Odyssey for a 31M-PC2150. 1150 CCA, ******. It's a tight fit in the factory location but it works and I didn't even need to modify the OE wiring. The only thing to watch out for is the clearance with the upper radiator hose. I slipped a 1/4" thick piece of rubber matting between the battery and the upper radiator hose to help isolate it from the heat. Might come up with a steel variant if this doesnt work out but I think it should be fine.

_DSC0401.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Stay tuned - I will be running the first set of Element Fabrication full aluminum skids and bolt-on sliders. Should see them on in the coming weeks!

SUSPENSION

I've had quite a few people ask me about the Icon's and my opinion of them. I've only had them on the road and some gravel roads for bike shuttle runs but have a pretty good impression so far. Time will tell once I actually get out wheeling with this setup.

Notes so far:
- Yes, they are "stiffer" than my previus Fox's and Bilstein setups. Although its a marginal difference and certainly not harsh

- The more firm feeling makes me have more confidence diving into corners on the highway a little faster, but the funny part is that the initial turn it is firm, but if you really throw the truck into a corner the stiffness fades as the travel is used up and the truck ends up body rolling like any other truck without sway bars. To be expected and not a fault of the suspension, but an observation and the seemingly "stiffer" initial travel quickly disappears to reveal the softer end of the digressive valving. Maybe a small sense of false confidence.

- Valving is on point. I feel like the suspension is more controlled than any setup I have previously ran. The rear shocks are not quite up to the front but they are still very adequate. 2.5's would be nice if I stumble across a money tree.

- Finding myself preloading the front coils more than I wanted to. I am not at 2" of preload (threads showing) on the drivers side and 1.75" on the passenger side. I still have a lot of rake and I thinking I am around 1.75"-2" of front lift with a 22" hub to fender measurement. I'd like to come up another 0.5" or so but do not want to sacrifice ride characteristics with additional coil preload. Against the recommendation from Icon I ordered 14" x 700lb front coils to replace the factory 13" x 650lb coils. Icon had stated that I might be too light with the aluminum front bumper and winch with synthetic line for the additional weight of the 700lb coils. But with skids on the way and the heavy 2UZ its a risk I am willing to take if I am able to have 2.25-2.5" of lift with minimal preload on the coils.

Thats all for now.

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
Look forward to seeing what you so with fridge and drawers and switches in this thing

One step at a time but it will come. Need to get the headlights and a few other items (like electrical) sorted before I do the drawers but I'm making progress!

UPDATES

Like I mentioned above, moving next week so things are crazy. Got a job as Parts Manager at Nelson Toyota in BC so I'm definitely looking forward to this new opportunity. If anyone is ever in the area or needs Toyota 4x4 stuff, I'm your guy. ;)

Electrical:

- Bussman relay box being installed. Fabbed a bracket with an 80A breaker to keep the electrical nice and tidy.
- Ran a 6GA wire to the rear cargo area and installed the ARB fridge socket (hardwired) and a Dual USB outlet to charge/power items from the rear or rear side door
- BlueSea Fuse block installed in the rear wheel well cargo spot for easy access
- Baja Designs dome light installed inside rear hatch panel (love this thing!)
- Installed some OEM 06+ Tail lights and added Morimoto LED's for the reverse and turn signal bulbs.
- Rewired the factory turn signals into the headlight parking lamps and am running some Sylvania amber LEDs in that location. They aren't as "amber" as I was expecting but I have some plans in the works for alternate turn signals once I get around to finally doing my LS430 retrofit. It's coming, I promise!!

Pics to come shortly of all of these items.

Other
- Also picked up a single Baja Design S2 Sport (work/scene) which I'll be mounting underneath my awning. Should be a good solution for camp lighting
- Built a bracket for my ARB compressor as well today. Desperately in need of some OBA.

Couple photos to match the words above:

ARB compressor tucked up by the firewall on the passenger side. Left enough room to run a second ARB compressor when lockers come. (For redundancy)

_DSC0441.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

COMEUP solenoid box relocation bracket:

_DSC0438.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Bussman Relay Box (missing the Bussman for now):

_DSC0439.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Been using the welder quite a bit lately. Can't say how good the decision was to buy a small welder and teach myself the basics. It has been worth its weight in gold for little projects like this.

Finally the Baja Design Dome LED w/integrated push button. Need to grab some tripod pics to capture the output but this thing is so awesome. Check the new tails too :)

_DSC0435.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior