Rickashay's 97' LX450 - "Tom Cruiser" Build Thread

soonenough

Explorer
A couple photos from the weekend. Had a chance to get out to the mountains and do some camping and hit one of my favorite trails. I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story:

14548064845_4a6a6d2a29_b.jpg

20130627-IMG_2940.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr
Amazing photos as always. This is my favorite... do you happen to know roughly where this photo was taken?

rickashay

Explorer
Amazing photos as always. This is my favorite... do you happen to know roughly where this photo was taken?

Thanks Ryan. It's on a trail called Daisy Creek in the Crowsnest Pass AB, Canada. That spot is one of my favorite places to camp, as there is a perfect meadow behind where the photo was taken, and you can go for a swim in the pool/falls on a hot enough day. Love it out there!

rickashay

Explorer
Have any more shots of that beadlock setup? That looks pretty awesome.

Hey Jon! They are faux beadlocks. He just machined the rings himself to protect the rims from the rocks. Actually the next day from that photo he got stuck in a massive hole and popped a bead, as well as sheared off most of those bolts on an rock in the hole. Although, he was headlight deep... I wish I had photos but I was too busy running recovery gear and hooking up dual winches (yes a dual winch pull) to get him out. Crazy!

Sempertoy

Explorer
Hey Jon! They are faux beadlocks. He just machined the rings himself to protect the rims from the rocks. Actually the next day from that photo he got stuck in a massive hole and popped a bead, as well as sheared off most of those bolts on an rock in the hole. Although, he was headlight deep... I wish I had photos but I was too busy running recovery gear and hooking up dual winches (yes a dual winch pull) to get him out. Crazy!

haha! thanks man. Well, even though they didn't work out, they sure look great! I have been looking for a set of rim stiffeners for the FJC wheels I am running.

Keep up with the awesome pictures! They motivate me.

rickashay

Explorer
haha! thanks man. Well, even though they didn't work out, they sure look great! I have been looking for a set of rim stiffeners for the FJC wheels I am running.

Keep up with the awesome pictures! They motivate me.

Yah they are pretty wicked wheels! Thanks man, glad to help motivate. Not that I need to be motivated to head to the mountains (its usually one of my top priorities haha) but it sure does help pass the week by when I sit at work on my computer. Makes you remember how awesome the mountains are and how much you enjoy being in the wilderness.

rickashay

Explorer
Been trying to fix a few odds and ends in my spare time over the last couple of weeks.

Replaced the following:
Hatch lock solenoid
Rear passenger door lock solenoid

4x Door position sensors

It's so nice finally having ALL of the power locks work and the interior lights actually turning on when I open the doors. It's all in the details....

I've also been having a couple issues with my ARB dual compressor lately. Last time I went wheeling it aired up three of my tires and the fuse popped. I normally leave my tailgate open when airing up so as to aid in cooling the compressor. I got home and threw some new fuses it in and left it alone, as it has worked dozens of times for me before without issue. It was a hot day and I figured it had just overheated from the lack of airflow. Fast forward to this Saturday and I went to air up again after running some trails. Same thing, except this time I turned the compressor on after hooking up the air hose. It worked fine and filled the mini-internal tank/lines before shutting off 10 seconds later. Good. I put the hose on the tire valve, the pump kicks in and dies 2s later. Popped fuses again. Cool day, hatch left open, pump wasnt even hot. I heard the motor idle up just as I engaged the tire valve, then the fuse popped. What could be going on?

FWIW, I have 2 gauge welders cable ran to an auxiliary fuse block in the rear storage compartment. The ARB harness is pulling power from that 2 Guage wiring, so I don't believe it's a wiring size issue, or at least on my end. Any ideas before I tear out my whole sleeping platform and carpets to try and troubleshoot?

Thanks

Sempertoy

Explorer
Been trying to fix a few odds and ends in my spare time over the last couple of weeks.

Replaced the following:
Hatch lock solenoid
Rear passenger door lock solenoid

4x Door position sensors

It's so nice finally having ALL of the power locks work and the interior lights actually turning on when I open the doors. It's all in the details....

I've also been having a couple issues with my ARB dual compressor lately. Last time I went wheeling it aired up three of my tires and the fuse popped. I normally leave my tailgate open when airing up so as to aid in cooling the compressor. I got home and threw some new fuses it in and left it alone, as it has worked dozens of times for me before without issue. It was a hot day and I figured it had just overheated from the lack of airflow. Fast forward to this Saturday and I went to air up again after running some trails. Same thing, except this time I turned the compressor on after hooking up the air hose. It worked fine and filled the mini-internal tank/lines before shutting off 10 seconds later. Good. I put the hose on the tire valve, the pump kicks in and dies 2s later. Popped fuses again. Cool day, hatch left open, pump wasnt even hot. I heard the motor idle up just as I engaged the tire valve, then the fuse popped. What could be going on?

FWIW, I have 2 gauge welders cable ran to an auxiliary fuse block in the rear storage compartment. The ARB harness is pulling power from that 2 Guage wiring, so I don't believe it's a wiring size issue, or at least on my end. Any ideas before I tear out my whole sleeping platform and carpets to try and troubleshoot?

Thanks

Whenever I have weird electrical issues, I go straight to the flux capacitor. 99% of the time, every time this will fix your problem.

rickashay

Explorer
Whenever I have weird electrical issues, I go straight to the flux capacitor. 99% of the time, every time this will fix your problem.

Lol! However, that would mean that I would have to get up to 88 MPH, which I'm not sure the LX is capable of.... no matter how long the straight stretch. haha

rickashay

Explorer
A few updates...

Have been too busy to really do much work on the 80. However I did install the new Fox IFP shocks. Designed for 3-6" of lift I was a little worried about their lengths with my truck being around the 3" mark, maybe even slightly lower. I have flexed the truck out a few times now though, and all is well regarding the lengths.

20130828-IMG_3530.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

At full stuff in the rear (my tire was rubbing the rear of the wheel well), here is a photo showing the rear shocks on the compressed side:

20130828-IMG_3532.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

As you can tell, the rear shock is near fully compressed. The rubber bump stop on the shock shaft still hasn't started to squeeze down so I'm right at the end of the shocks stroke. I was fully on my rear bump stops here and I doubt I would get any more compression out of it. My bump stops are lowered 2" in the rear.

As for the ride quality - definitely softer than the OME L-shocks they replaced. More tippy in the corners (especially because I have no rear sway bars) but I feel like the valving is more suited for my weight specs. I can cruise over speed bumps without much drama whereas before the OME felt like it would buck me off after the rear rolled over the bump. The Fox's keep it settled and pretty smooth. Very impressed over the on road manors, but I will need to ad a front sway bar with disconnects. Offroad, I feel that the suspension definitely cycles more freely than before and I felt like I was utilizing more wheel travel even on average sized bumps/washouts/rocks.

Still have not solved my compressor issue. Pulled it apart and checked that both relays to make sure they were working correctly, all good there. With a suggestion from the ARB tech, I'm going to try a pair of 50A fuses instead of the factory 40A fuses. The tech thinks that may solve the issue, we'll see.

I did get out to BC over the long weekend and did some mild offroading, hiking, huckleberry picking, and got some much needed R&R. A few pics:

Up Giveout Creek near Nelson BC:

20130829-IMG_3537.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20130829-IMG_3539.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Very cool snowmobile cabin. I might try to make it up here this winter!

20130829-IMG_3541.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Relaxing at the cabin, Tank doing some posing:

20130827-IMG_3467.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Cool photo on a rainy day:

20130827-IMG_3463.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Me and my fiance also did some scouting for our upcoming wedding next August. We are pretty excited about the venue. Its still "under construction" but its gorgeous already as it stands:
20130827-IMG_3446.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The Glasshouse:

20130827-IMG_3441.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

This are is in a very cool lakefront development where the developer tries to incorporate the outdoors into the properties. Its very private and no neighbours can see each other through the trees. They also have an awesome network of hiking trails built on the mountainside:

Some very dense forests/trails:

20130827-IMG_3449.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Kootenay Lake Village, "KLV":

20130830-IMG_3559.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Lookout #2 - Kootenay Lake Ferry (longest free ferry ride in the world)

20130830-IMG_3552.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Some of the cool bits of character on the trails:

20130830-IMG_3547.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Me and my lady lol:

20130830-IMG_3550.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Lookout #5 (about 4kms up from the parking lot):

20130830-IMG_3572.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20130830-IMG_3557.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Oh, and for old times sake... I always thank my dad for building a good flex ramp into his driveway! haha

Old:

Hardpark 1 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

New:

20130828-IMG_3531.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Well thats all for now. Off to change the oil in the 80 and wax the Subaru!

Sempertoy

Explorer
awesome pics man! Cruiser is looking good, I need new shocks but they will have to wait. Just got my DC shaft put in.

rickashay

Explorer
Snuck out to the Crownsest for a day. Last day of summer was yesterday, technically speaking, but you wouldn't guess judging by the amount of color on the trees. Fall seems to be ahead of itself this year, despite our hot temperatures during the day.

We were out on a mission for the CT4WD PATHS Team that I am a part of. We scout and map trails for future organization trail runs as well as provide status updates on the condition of known and frequently ran trails. We decided to hit the Castle Special Management area near the small mountain town of Beaver Mines, Alberta.

We were forced to leave Saturday afternoon as I was stuck at work. I did everything I could to make my Saturday work day a short one but still didnt get out of the office until 3:30. Ran home, grabbed the truck, and met at the Safeway on the south end of town to stock up for a couple meals. The pace was smooth and relaxing as we rolled south on the 22 and headed for the Crowsnest Pass. We would arrive late and thus needed to make a route alteration to be able to hit a refueling station before the morning. Our regular Fas Gas was open late and we headed there to top up the tanks. We still had a 45 minute highway drive to the trailhead and also would need to find a location for camp. Seeing as how it was already 9:00pm we opted for a closer spot and known camping location and would make the drive to the trailhead in the morning.

It was a gorgeous and still evening which provided a good opportunity for some night sky photography. I made a couple feeble attempts before my fatigue took the best of me, as I was running on a hangover and 2 hours sleep from the night before, but thats another story.

Marc's 4Runner looking good under the stars:

20130919-IMG_3589.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20130920-IMG_3594.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Temps dropped off a lot during the night, but it was to be expected. We woke early to get a head start on the day, and were met with the golden hour, seeing the sun rise and hit the peaks of the Frank Slide Historical site. A forshadow of the weather and scenery of the day:

20130920-IMG_3602.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Group Photo:

20130920-IMG_3606.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Near the trailhead, I couldn't not stop for a photo:

20130920-IMG_3614.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

We promptly made it to the start of the trail and starting letting the air out of the tires. A group of ATV'ers passed saying "there are some difficult spots midway through the trail" as if they were in question of our ability to make it to the lookout we were aiming for. I had run the trail previously but not for 2 year, and we all knew how much the terrain could have changed since my last evaluation. Despite the doubt of the ATV'ers, we set off. Shortly after, we encountered a wet section. I suspect due to the large volume of snow we had two weeks ago which was quickly melted by the 28 degree temperatures.

The 5th Gen T4R navigating the soup:

20130920-IMG_3619.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Marc became high centered at one point in the above obstacle. With efficient teamwork and a simple straight winch pull, we were rolling again within a few minutes. The trail became quite narrow and overgrown but we pushed on. I was in the lead driving down a very simple section of the trail. I needed to cross a wet washout, that really didnt look that bad. Boy was I wrong.... the second the 6000lb girth of the Cruiser hit the washout, I sunk in the mud and became stuck. Forward/Reverse and varying throttle were used to maneuver myself forward to no avail, slowly digging myself deeper into the mud. I eventually become suctioned in and could not move i neither direction. Another quick but hard pull and I was out.

20130920-IMG_3627.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

We pushed on, with the others taking the alternate route that I had passed and avoiding the mud hole altogether. The trail is short and climbs steeply to an amazing overlook. We stopped for photos and some home made bison sausage for lunch.

Panorama of the viewpoint:

20130920-IMG_3631.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20130920-IMG_3634.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

We wanted to explore a new area, so we made haste after lunch to get back out and back to the trailhead. I did a poor job of photographing the rest of our journey but we made a short pit stop at Beaver Mines Lake to take in the fall scenery and adjust air pressure.

20130920-IMG_3638.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

We traveled a road that headed South West toward the backside of Waterton Lakes National park. It was a road none of us had ever traveled and were hoping to uncover some new potential trails. We have a lot more exploring to do in this area but ran short of time once driving to a washout where the road had disappeared in recent flooding. Along the road, we did run into a pretty cool washout, to test the flex limits of our trucks. In a laughable comment I mentioned to Marc, "Why are flex shots always so cool?" He responded with a laugh, "Because we are all like grown up kids, playing with our toys". I nodded in agreement, I like my Toyotas. (er, Lexus... haha)

20130920-IMG_3646.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20130920-IMG_3648.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Last viewpoint of the day before getting turned around:

20130920-IMG_3651.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Looking forward to getting out again on October 3rd. I'll be back.

Last edited:

Muttle

Observer
Trail doesn't look like it has changed to much since we were out there last. Good pictures as always dude, making me jealous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles