Rickashay's 97' LX450 - "Tom Cruiser" Build Thread

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Hey, nice rig! I have a 3rd gen myself and have looked through your 4Runner build many times, which I also loved. I read through this build and I don't think you covered it, but can you give a comparison between the LX and your previous 4Runner? The biggest thing I'd like to know is how the size/weight affects off roading. Also, does the LX feel underpowered (compared to how the 4Runner felt)? Any other info would be great. I'm debating whether to keep my 4Runner or pick up an 80 series. Thanks!

In for the answer also. Though an 80 is not in the equation for me right now, I plan to pick a Cruiser up in a few years. I'm more interested in the wheeling aspect cause I wheel my little truck hard and every weekend and would want the Cruiser be able to hold its own. (Not worried about power, mpgs, etc.) Of course it'll be locked so traction wouldn't really be a crazy issue, but rather the size and weight. I'm not sure of your experience with the pre-85 trucks but you wheeled a 3rd gen for awhile and I wheeled that platform a lot before I got this so I understand any differences that you'll be able to comment on. How is it? Obviously not as nimble, but how bad is it?

rickashay

Explorer
I love the simplicity of your cargo/sleeping deck. I'm planning on doing something very similar. Quick question, How did you make your template for cutting the plywood? The contours are perfectly matched and spaced with the cargo interior sides... very well done.
That ARB fridge/freezer is just waiting for some cold ones. :beer:

Thanks! I actually had a family friend of mine (who is an exceptionally good finishing carpenter) lay out the base for me. I helped him but he simply used a piece of cardboard and took a few measurements to get the shape close, then fine-tuned it little by little until the cardboard sat nicely in the contours of the interior. We then just transfered the lines onto the plywood. I agree...beers coming soon. Moab in 12 days.

Hey, nice rig! I have a 3rd gen myself and have looked through your 4Runner build many times, which I also loved. I read through this build and I don't think you covered it, but can you give a comparison between the LX and your previous 4Runner? The biggest thing I'd like to know is how the size/weight affects off roading. Also, does the LX feel underpowered (compared to how the 4Runner felt)? Any other info would be great. I'm debating whether to keep my 4Runner or pick up an 80 series. Thanks!

I'll answer below.

not to hijack, but you should always upgrade to an 80 series. If there is an 80 series anywhere in your equation, that is the right answer.

This made me LOL. haha

In for the answer also. Though an 80 is not in the equation for me right now, I plan to pick a Cruiser up in a few years. I'm more interested in the wheeling aspect cause I wheel my little truck hard and every weekend and would want the Cruiser be able to hold its own. (Not worried about power, mpgs, etc.) Of course it'll be locked so traction wouldn't really be a crazy issue, but rather the size and weight. I'm not sure of your experience with the pre-85 trucks but you wheeled a 3rd gen for awhile and I wheeled that platform a lot before I got this so I understand any differences that you'll be able to comment on. How is it? Obviously not as nimble, but how bad is it?

I will speak in strictly off-roading terms as that is what you both seemed more interested in. Besides, we all know the IFS drives a heck of a lot nicer on the road, or at least that is my conclusion.

The 80 is wider. The 80 is heavier. The 80 is taller. The 80 is awesomer? lol

No in all seriousness, it's a different animal. You have to keep in mind I had 33's on the 4Runner and 35's on the Cruiser which are a dramatic advantage for the 80, so it's not exactly apples vs. apples. I get high centered less and hang up on less objects in the 80 but I would assume that is due to more ground clearance (4Runner was 2.5/3.5" lift 80 is about 3/3.5" lift) plus the 1" increase in clearance in tire size. I would say I definitely notice the weight more than anything. I feel I have to be a little more careful in off-camber muddy or snowy sections knowing that if the truck slips it's going to run away real fast and regaining control would be more of a task than the lighter 4Runner. I think in this regard it also ties in to the aspect of agility, where the 4Runner definitely felt more manoeuvrable in tight quarters both in dimensional size and it's ability to quickly change direction. The 80 almost requires more pre-planning of your lines and a little more attention. The 80 sucks on washboards in comparison but the last time I did washboards was with OME heavies and no bumpers or armor, so that may change now with the heft I have since added, but I still expect the 4Runner to be more comfortable in that area. However, overall, I feel more confidence in the 80 offroad. I definitely feel more comfortable in off-camber situations as the 80 just feels more stable (wider track width and bigger tires). It is also just a "tank" and it feels like nothing will stop you. I would say driving the same trails with both of my vehicles, the 80 for sure does obstacles with more ease, despite the aspect that I generally feel more "involved" in the driving experience. VERY subjective thoughts here but maybe I just dont know how to describe it. The 80 turns way more heads and has more "cool" factor IMO. It also has way more finicky little maintenance items and costs more to maintain. Even though my 4Runner was only 1 year newer, it felt like a substantially newer vehicle. Obviously the 80 series platform started in 1990 where the 3rd Gen was new in 96' but it's still worth noting. The 80 is gutless and feels even more underpowered than the 4Runner all while getting worse fuel economy. Would I take the 4Runner back and start again given the opportunity? Absolutely not.

kanger

Observer
The 80 is wider. The 80 is heavier. The 80 is taller. The 80 is awesomer? lol

No in all seriousness, it's a different animal. You have to keep in mind I had 33's on the 4Runner and 35's on the Cruiser which are a dramatic advantage for the 80, so it's not exactly apples vs. apples. I get high centered less and hang up on less objects in the 80 but I would assume that is due to more ground clearance (4Runner was 2.5/3.5" lift 80 is about 3/3.5" lift) plus the 1" increase in clearance in tire size. I would say I definitely notice the weight more than anything. I feel I have to be a little more careful in off-camber muddy or snowy sections knowing that if the truck slips it's going to run away real fast and regaining control would be more of a task than the lighter 4Runner. I think in this regard it also ties in to the aspect of agility, where the 4Runner definitely felt more manoeuvrable in tight quarters both in dimensional size and it's ability to quickly change direction. The 80 almost requires more pre-planning of your lines and a little more attention. The 80 sucks on washboards in comparison but the last time I did washboards was with OME heavies and no bumpers or armor, so that may change now with the heft I have since added, but I still expect the 4Runner to be more comfortable in that area. However, overall, I feel more confidence in the 80 offroad. I definitely feel more comfortable in off-camber situations as the 80 just feels more stable (wider track width and bigger tires). It is also just a "tank" and it feels like nothing will stop you. I would say driving the same trails with both of my vehicles, the 80 for sure does obstacles with more ease, despite the aspect that I generally feel more "involved" in the driving experience. VERY subjective thoughts here but maybe I just dont know how to describe it. The 80 turns way more heads and has more "cool" factor IMO. It also has way more finicky little maintenance items and costs more to maintain. Even though my 4Runner was only 1 year newer, it felt like a substantially newer vehicle. Obviously the 80 series platform started in 1990 where the 3rd Gen was new in 96' but it's still worth noting. The 80 is gutless and feels even more underpowered than the 4Runner all while getting worse fuel economy. Would I take the 4Runner back and start again given the opportunity? Absolutely not.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for this!

rickashay

Explorer
Got back into Canada last night from my US Adventure. It's interesting how no matter how much you plan and prepare for adversity, you still never know where you will end up. More words and photos to come, but a few teasers for now:

14020825549_8eb9683163_b.jpg

14020860170_4c5bd5310e_b.jpg

14207375654_0d86fc8e87_b.jpg

14020845519_3f989c32b9_b.jpg

I'll start a thread in the completed Adventures section for my photos and verbal dump.

rickashay

Explorer
Phenomenal pictures, as always Addy.

Thanks man! Glad to see you stopping by. I drove home from NorCal through Oregon last week. Stayed a night in Bend, and I must say, I will be returning. What an awesome town! I know your in Eugene but Im sure you've been out that way before. Oregon as a whole is truly gorgeous.

rickashay

Explorer
You have one of my favorite Cruisers on here, and I aspire to someday match your photography skill!

Appreciate the fine words!

@rickashay, next time you're in Bend, gimme a buzz!

I might be heading down there in September but sans LX450, but we can grab a beverage!

A nice summer shot of the LX. Put the OEM Lexus corner lights back on and painted the trim. Needed something to break up the "clear" look. Its all in the details right? lol

14201725050_a984159a12_c.jpg

20130607-IMG_2797.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
A couple photos from the weekend. Had a chance to get out to the mountains and do some camping and hit one of my favorite trails. I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story:

14548038355_906272b7c5_b.jpg

20130626-IMG_2912.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

14361458219_448ba30377_b.jpg

20130627-IMG_2947.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

14548064845_4a6a6d2a29_b.jpg

20130627-IMG_2940.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

14361382320_61b5843e08_b.jpg

20130626-IMG_2906.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

14547113442_592aa59694_b.jpg

20130627-IMG_2919.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

14524961656_96158814b3_b.jpg

20130627-IMG_2923.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr