*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
MOOOOOAAAAAR

That is one fuuuuuullllllllll fender!

Looks great!

Yes, I'm not bored anymore! Keep the flares whatever you do...

Thanks guys. I like the look of the flares but it sure would be nice shaving 4-5" of width off the truck for the trails. I might just let nature decide... lol

UPDATE - Nov 24, 2014

As promised, I got the wheels and tires mounted today. Pretty stoked how it came out, I think it looks pretty cool being so low. I'm stock height in the rear and +1" in the front with my leveling kit. I might end up adding some wheel spacers in the rear to poke the rear out a little more but it will depend if I can clean the fender during articulation.

20131123-IMG_4008.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I drove the truck around town a little bit and was very surprised at how well it drove. I always hear people say that when upgrading tire size "they felt no difference" but I know thats not true. You will ALWAYS lose power with additional rotational mass and bigger tires, the question was how bad would it be? Very liveable in its current form. Honestly I could probably lock it and leave it with the current gears. It will be a different story when I start adding weight but SO much more driveable than my 80 on 35's or my 4Runner on 33's. Gotta love the torque from the 2UZ!

A couple more:

20131123-IMG_4005.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20131123-IMG_4002.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20131123-IMG_4001.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

So far zero rub except at full lock on the frame. WIN.

seanpistol

Explorer
How about you keep driving with stock gears on those 35s for a while and let me know how she goes........ I'd love to tub my cab. :)

rickashay

Explorer
Best looking tundra here by far. Excellent job man:wings:

Excellent tire choice.

Dang that thing looks good with all that rubber

Thanks! Can't wait to get the new leafs and coilovers in... still going to keep it LOW but will help with the stance a little. My CV angles are pretty much stock right now, it's awesome! haha

What's happening with the other two sets of scs?

Silver ones will be for sale soon. Matte Gray one was the spare off my former LX450. I just borrowed it to mock up while I waited for my Toyos and new black SCS F5's to land.

Greenyota

Observer
Great job on the tubing and wheel/tire combo. It came out looking great! I'm going to have to do that in a few years on my 01'. Jealous right now though.

Derek24

Explorer
Looks too good! To me I feel a little more lift coming from your fox and new leafs will make it look really too good! Great work, must feel good...

rickashay

Explorer
Great job on the tubing and wheel/tire combo. It came out looking great! I'm going to have to do that in a few years on my 01'. Jealous right now though.

Looking great. A tub with some 35s is definitely on my to do list now.

Do it! I tried to take as many pictures as possible to try and give Tundra owners a better idea of what is needed for the tub. It's a lot of work though, took me two full days to cut/tub, a days worth of sealing and painting (with dry time), and a solid day and a half to re-mount everything and trim the flares, fender liners, fenders, and mud flaps.

Looks too good! To me I feel a little more lift coming from your fox and new leafs will make it look really too good! Great work, must feel good...

Yah lift is incoming but I honestly don't want the front too much higher than it is now. I want to run 1.5"-2" lift over stock in the front (it's already at 1" with the Bilsteins) and 1-1.5" over stock in the rear. Did you have the Wheelrs AAL's in the rear? (I should just go scope out your build thread...) I'm planning on removing the factory overload spring to help it ride smoother and lower.

Nice work Addison.

Thanks Mike!

Derek24

Explorer
Sounds good! Yeah just a little more lift will look great. I did have the wheelers 3 leaf pack. I started with that pack and the overload leaf removed which made the truck level with 2.5inch up front. But when loaded with the campershell, or a motorcycle it sagged more than I liked so I installed the over load leaf. I liked this setup much better, ride ways the same. I know you are coming from and 80 series and a 4runner so you are use to a smooth ride in the back, it will be hard to match that with a truck. Loaded with gear it smooths out.

rickashay

Explorer
Update

Installed the Wheelers Progressive AAL over the weekend along with the little brake proportioning bracket. Fairly straight forward install, soaked everything with PB a few hours in advance to let soak and all came off pretty easy. Biggest issue was getting my jack high enough to life the fully drooped leafs off the axle.

Didnt take before measurements on height, simply forgot. I would guess that I'm 1.5-1.75" taller in the rear now than before. I have about 1" of rake now if you look straight from the side. Thinking when my Fox's land I will set them @ 1.5-1.75" of lift (1/2"-3/4" over current) and that will leave me with a tiny amount of rake. Also decided to keep the factory overload lead in place. I honeslty can't tell the difference in ride quality either so it's very close to factory. Pretty happy with this setup right now.

Also had a 4 hour drive on Sunday on the highway. I was at 70mph and about 2100 rpms. Truck cruised along nicely. A little gear hunting when the hills came but it honestly makes me question the need for a re-gear. I'm on pace to hit about 300 mile on the current tank of fuel (adjusted the 10% for the tires throwing off the speedo). Not bad.

A shot with the new leafs in, although the angle doesn't show the height well, and there is 150 lbs of gear in the back.

20131129-IMG_4033.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles