Rhino Rack... What would you do?

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Here is a response I got from Jeff @ Rhino Rack. Nice guy btw, but didn't instill much confidence in me lol. It's weird, because I have seen pictures of the Rhino Rack on G550's on the internet... but they seem to be unofficial sort of like the ARB roof racks seen on some G's. Thoughts?

Hello sir,

Thanks for following-up. I was waiting to receive a response from our engineering team to see if this exact vehicle has been fit with a Pioneer Platform and it has not been, so we can advise to the parts & pieces that may work but we cannot guarantee the fit on this vehicle. Therefore it is considered a custom application and will be at your sole discretion. Please forgive the detailed response but I am trying to give you as much information as I can to help you.

At 59” apart gutter-to-gutter it will be very close and may not work. The Pioneers have a return on the underside of each side of the tray, which the legs must be mounted inward of in order to work. The return is 1.6” on each side. This means the tray width minus 1.6” on each side (so 1.6” x 2 = 3.2”) will give us the maximum distance apart the legs can be in order to work.

Pioneer Platform: Only our widest Pioneer Platforms may fit on this vehicle. This will be the 42105B (107” L x 58” W). You will also need 1 x PLHSPAIR for each pair of legs to add an extra 2.9” clearance to the legs so the Pioneer can attach. So, subtracting the 3.2” for the return gives this tray 54.8” of space where the legs can be mounted. Adding 2.9” of clearance by using the PLHSPAIR for each pair of legs brings us to 57.7” wide. At face value the 57.7” width of the legs is not enough to reach the 59” gutter-to-gutter measurement, however the legs angle in a little, potentially providing enough clearance to make this mounting feasible. The legs angle in about .75” (on each side) from where they rest on the gutter, so the extra roughly 1.5” of clearance on top of the 57.7” may just allow the legs to reach the gutters. This is the only setup we are aware of that may be what is seen in the photo we found on Google of a Pioneer Platform on this vehicle.

The legs for the Mercedes G Class are the RL150S13. They are sold in pairs. For the 42105B you’ll need 4 pairs of legs.

That is the most detailed & best information I can provide about this custom fit and it’s possibility of success. Again, as we have not test-fitted this vehicle with a tray we cannot guarantee this setup will work, therefore it will be considered a custom application and is done at the sole discretion and responsibility of the customer.

Prices are as follows:

42105B - $829.00/each
RL150S13 - $104.00/each pair
PLHSPAIR - $15.00/each

So with 4 pairs of legs and 4 PLHSPAIR clearance spacers you are looking at a total of about $1305.00 + freight. These Pioneers come fully assembled so must ship LTL Freight which is roughly $100 - $150 to a commercial address (extra fees apply for residential delivery).

We hope this detail helps your decision making process. Please let us know if any other questions or concerns.

Jeff
RRUSA

Jwestpro

Explorer
Well, I don't have a G, but I do have a 2004 Land Rover with gutters and a 2007 LR3 with the more modern roof mounted "tracks" with slots.

I use the Hannibal racks which come in various sizes and are also aluminum. That Rhino Pioneer looks nice in their website photos but they also appear to be "built" with bolts and parts rather than welded like the Hannibal.

Also, the Rhino edge looks very limiting to me in that it's rounded proprietary shape won't let the most basic things clamp onto it as easily as a simple box section stock.

Look over these to get your own ideas though: http://hannibalsafari.com.au/index.php?page=roof-racks

They have a 110"x56" (2.8Mx1.4M) and I use the 2.1Mx1.4M on the Disco 2 with the gutter mount but on the LR3 I just have it on 3 Yakima cross bars which also works great.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback! I actually like the rounded sides on the Rhino Rack because of their profile that cuts noise. Nice to know about the Hannibal racks. They are very nice, but if I were to go with a block sidewall I would probably lean with the FrontRunner because of the amount of accessories they have. Thanks again!

Mr_Henrietta

Observer
I have Rhino Rack gutter mounts and cross bars on my van. Super happy with the set up. Very heavy duty. They did put out a really very low quality hitch bike rack though recently. Not sure on their other products.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
I have Rhino Rack gutter mounts and cross bars on my van. Super happy with the set up. Very heavy duty. They did put out a really very low quality hitch bike rack though recently. Not sure on their other products.

Hmm, I may just do the triple cross bars. How is the noise on them? Did it impact MPG much? Thanks!

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Hey Dutch how is the noise on the triple bar prior to the tent on a 10 point scale? Thanks!

I never drove any distance with just the bars and did not paid any attention, but those square bars are definitely NOT aerodynamic.

The other problem with the recommended RL150S13 Leg Kit is that the front cross bar only has a few millimeters of clearance between the bottom of the bar and the roof. That's not a lot of room for RTT or other platform fasteners to fit without scratching the roof.

RRBars.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior