Rhino Rack Heavy Duty Bars + Quick Release Legs + RTT?

spagthorpe

Observer
I have a couple of rack options for the Jeep. I have the Rhino Rack Backbone system installed. I have a Pioneer Platform, but also three of the heavy duty bars. I have both the old metal screw down legs, and a set of the quick release ones.

I had the RTT bolted to the Pioneer Platform, which worked well, but was very heavy to get on/off the Jeep. I had a system rigged to the ceiling at my last place for removal/install, which I don't have the luxury of at my current house. As such, I've not been going out.

I'm thinking of putting the RTT on the heavy duty bars, but wondering if the quick release legs will work for this. I've spent a lot of time looking, and I've not been able to come up with a solid answer. I figured maybe someone here had done it.

BradS

I've been doing it for 4 years without too many problems. I have all 3 cross bars up there. The front and back bars have a Rhino Rack Batwing awning attached to the ends. I attach the RTT to the front 2 bars to center the weight a bit better. I've slid the RTT to the back 2 just recently to allow the removal of the roof panels to take advantage of the weather just this last weekend. The only issue that comes up from time to time is the bolts backing out of the feet. Things start to creak a little when they loosen off.

spagthorpe

Observer
Good to know. Thanks. I got three bars when I got them, but have only use two a lot of the time when I use the bars, as it's just a surfboard or some lumber for the house. I have enough tent brackets to mount the tent to all three if needed. I like the platform, but it's a bunch of extra weight.

dstock

Explorer
I'm in a similar situation with the Backbone/Platform Rack/RTT and no great way to pull the tent off quickly for the same reasons, plus it's a pain to move around and store. I have a set of Rhino Aero Bars in the garage and was thinking about getting the QR feet for those but I'm not sure the Aero Bars are up to the task? I have 3 of them.

Hi, for the RTT on our 2 door Wrangler we've installed the Rhino Rack Backbone system with the heavy duty bars and the quick release.
It worked perfect since some years (for pics see @derkleinejeep).
The only issue we had after longer rides on rough trails was - as BradS already mentioned " The only issue that comes up from time to time is the bolts backing out of the feet ".
But this we've eliminated with some loctite screw lock.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi, for the RTT on our 2 door Wrangler we've installed the Rhino Rack Backbone system with the heavy duty bars and the quick release.
It worked perfect since some years (for pics see @derkleinejeep).
The only issue we had after longer rides on rough trails was - as BradS already mentioned " The only issue that comes up from time to time is the bolts backing out of the feet ".
But this we've eliminated with some loctite screw lock.

@derkleinejeep - can you please measure the height increase from the backbone + heavy duty bars?
I'd really like to know how much taller it makes the Jeep (to see if it will fit in the garage!)

Thanks,
-Dan

Hi Dan, I've made some photos and measured also the height of the system.
The quicke release "cone" (or however you will name it) which is fix installed on the hardtop is roundabout 4,5 cm.
The upper part of the quick release with the bar has additional 9 cm.

Hope this helpsIMG-20210708-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210708-WA0005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles