Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

Wallygator

Adventurer
So would waxing the zipper help with water inlet? Also how hard would it be put drain grommets in the cover? Grommets are cheap, would this be a bad thing? It will of course let dust in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

St8ton

So would waxing the zipper help with water inlet? Also how hard would it be put drain grommets in the cover? Grommets are cheap, would this be a bad thing? It will of course let dust in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
From what I can tell the zipper isn't the issue it's the giant hole on one side of the bag that doesn't fully close. It's only a velcro closure. Mine has been soaked several times upon being stored away dry and then opening the bag after rain. Grommets in the underside are a thought. I've got a custom boat cover shop down the road from my house, I may stop in and see what they suggest and/or have a full zip cover made.

In post #35 I mentioned that my Batwing had snapped two of the Delrin hinges after an unexpected strong gust (40+ mph) "origamied" my Batwing. Last week I was able to repair the awning with the two spare hinges Rhino Rack includes with the awning. Is it thoughtful on the part of the mfg. or an acknowledgment that there is an inherent design problem? I'll leave that to you.

IMG_0346.JPG A shot of where and how the Delrin hinges snapped. It was the two bottom awning spreader poles so this shot angle is reversed of how the awning is actually mounted.

IMG_0347.JPG After removing the set screw, you are left with the portion of the hinge that extends into the spreader pole. Don't bother trying to pull it out...just easily push it into the pole; no harm no foul.

IMG_0349.JPG Insert the new hinge into the pole. The "fork/split" that you can see on the stem of the hinge (at the pole) only allows it to be inserted one way...easy peasy.

IMG_0348.JPG Fully seated and you can just see the shiny set screw fully set.

IMG_0351.JPG Reinsert the long hinge pin (since the bottom Delrin hinge pieces were broken I didn't have to fully remove the hinge pin), tighten the locking nut snugly, and you're on your way. This is a shot of the awning mounted on the truck after the repair. I actually fixed it off the truck on a set of sawhorses in the driveway.

All in all, the repair was easy and straightforward (a field repair is not out of the question) and I'll be ordering a set of replacement Delrin hinge pieces from Rhino Rack USA just in case. But...it does beg the question, "is this a good solution for such a large awning?" I had the opportunity to look at the 270* awning from AluCab at last weekend's Offroad Expo. The aluminum hinge piece is integral to the spreader pole, the pieces ride on Delrin "spacers/bearings", and the hinge pin slides down in the same manner as on my awning. I believe that the EaziAwn has the same design. At first glance, it seems that this is a stronger design. But what would happen if a really strong gust caught you by surprise and the awning was not guyed down? Where would the bend/break point be in the hinge area? Would it be field repairable if the tubing in the hinge was bent? Is it better to have the hinge pieces break (as did the Delrin) to prevent catastrophic carnage? I'll leave that question to the engineers around here. I do know this: I paid less than half the price for the Rhino Rack unit than I would have for either the AluCab or EaziAwn, which leaves me plenty of money left to buy replacement Delrin pieces. But if I have to replace them often, then the hassle factor comes into play.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

TheJapalian

I think Rhino has a video that talks about those specific parts being plastic so they able to flex and also serviceable if they do fail.

Edit: Here's the video

I had not seen that video (thanks for sharing) but it certainly addresses the Delrin hinge issue from their perspective. I want to be clear that I'm not criticizing the design of the Batwing...I've only used it once in the field and under a freak instance, at that. We had just stopped for the day on our Mojave Rd. trip in early June and the conditions were calm. Several of us had deployed awnings and the gust that came up was extremely strong (40+ mph or more, almost like a dust devil) and went just as quickly as it came. A fellow driver had to hang onto his ARB awning with all his might to ensure that it didn't also fold up. I had stakes crisscrossed at the poles as demonstrated in the video but had not deployed the guy lines yet. The side that flipped up and over the truck shell was a direct broadside to the wind gust.

So in the future, I plan on guying each pole immediately when camped, and will closely monitor wind conditions if just stopping for a bit. After all, the beauty of this design should be an easy deployment for a bit of quick shade. I also plan on looking at the available side curtains that zip to the awning, creating an enclosed room(s). I just wanted to share my experience with the awning and how easy it was to fix without having to pack it up and send it off to Rhino Rack. :cool:

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
In post #35 I mentioned that my Batwing had snapped two of the Delrin hinges after an unexpected strong gust (40+ mph) "origamied" my Batwing. Last week I was able to repair the awning with the two spare hinges Rhino Rack includes with the awning. Is it thoughtful on the part of the mfg. or an acknowledgment that there is an inherent design problem? I'll leave that to you.

View attachment 476354 A shot of where and how the Delrin hinges snapped. It was the two bottom awning spreader poles so this shot angle is reversed of how the awning is actually mounted.

View attachment 476355 After removing the set screw, you are left with the portion of the hinge that extends into the spreader pole. Don't bother trying to pull it out...just easily push it into the pole; no harm no foul.

View attachment 476356 Insert the new hinge into the pole. The "fork/split" that you can see on the stem of the hinge (at the pole) only allows it to be inserted one way...easy peasy.

View attachment 476357 Fully seated and you can just see the shiny set screw fully set.

View attachment 476358 Reinsert the long hinge pin (since the bottom Delrin hinge pieces were broken I didn't have to fully remove the hinge pin), tighten the locking nut snugly, and you're on your way. This is a shot of the awning mounted on the truck after the repair. I actually fixed it off the truck on a set of sawhorses in the driveway.

All in all, the repair was easy and straightforward (a field repair is not out of the question) and I'll be ordering a set of replacement Delrin hinge pieces from Rhino Rack USA just in case. But...it does beg the question, "is this a good solution for such a large awning?" I had the opportunity to look at the 270* awning from AluCab at last weekend's Offroad Expo. The aluminum hinge piece is integral to the spreader pole, the pieces ride on Delrin "spacers/bearings", and the hinge pin slides down in the same manner as on my awning. I believe that the EaziAwn has the same design. At first glance, it seems that this is a stronger design. But what would happen if a really strong gust caught you by surprise and the awning was not guyed down? Where would the bend/break point be in the hinge area? Would it be field repairable if the tubing in the hinge was bent? Is it better to have the hinge pieces break (as did the Delrin) to prevent catastrophic carnage? I'll leave that question to the engineers around here. I do know this: I paid less than half the price for the Rhino Rack unit than I would have for either the AluCab or EaziAwn, which leaves me plenty of money left to buy replacement Delrin pieces. But if I have to replace them often, then the hassle factor comes into play.

Your thoughts?
This has happened with at least 1 Alu Cab & that is documented in this thread and post #524 on page 35, you can see the results. Basically the arms bend - you're not going to break the hinges on this awning without ripping the whole awning off your rig. So in a case like this, you replace the arm(s), and for sure more expensive. But looking at both designs, it's easy to see how the Alu Cab awning would stand up better. I'm not saying they're bullet proof, but substantially stronger. Whatever awning you're running - if there is any wind blowing or unsettled weather in your area, you just don't chance it unless you enjoy repairing awnings.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
At first glance, it seems that this is a stronger design. But what would happen if a really strong gust caught you by surprise and the awning was not guyed down? Where would the bend/break point be in the hinge area? Would it be field repairable if the tubing in the hinge was bent? Is it better to have the hinge pieces break (as did the Delrin) to prevent catastrophic carnage? I'll leave that question to the engineers around here. I do know this: I paid less than half the price for the Rhino Rack unit than I would have for either the AluCab or EaziAwn, which leaves me plenty of money left to buy replacement Delrin pieces. But if I have to replace them often, then the hassle factor comes into play.

Your thoughts?

Just read through all the posts in this thread...early research for future awning purchase. Previously owned an ARB 2500 mounted to the roof rack of my Xterra, which performed flawlessly when staked down in solid (25-30 mph) desert winds.

I thought about your post, and personally I like the idea of creating a weaker link if things go wrong (not staking down during an unexpected wind gust of 40+) because I would rather carry a few extra hinges than have to replace a whole bent section of awning pole.

Similar to replacing a snapped half axle rather than destroying your front diff...a PITA for sure, but in the big picture of solo off road travel, simpler and less $$$ to repair in the field.

Thanks @Mighty Dodge Ram for all the intuitive posts and photos...(y)

Agreed! I’ve since bought backup parts that I keep inside the attached stake/guyline bag. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Rhino-Rack/RRCA1175.html Bought two kits with two hinges in each.

I also have an ARB 2000 that is very sturdy but does not offer the coverage or convenience of the Batwing. I mentioned that one of my fellow travelers had to hang onto his ARB during that very strong gust. He had just unrolled it but didn’t have the poles extended or the lines staked. Imagine trying to hold onto a flapping sail! ?

roving1

Mine in developing hols in the awning near where the legs clip. The first one was always there and I thought it was from shipping damage. Now I have probably 4-5 holes. I don't know if I got debris in there from the legs, or if it's abrasion while driving, or something going on from constantly being wet from the stupid bag design. I was tightening the straps rather robustly but now I'm doing them loosely to make sure that isn't the problem

Anyone else have this issue?

This thing has become indespensible to my camping but I'm a little disappointed in it now.

I would rather the thing weigh 5lbs more and be made of more robust materials. I would still buy it again though.

Also random rant, what they charge for the extra zip on panels is ABSURD. Someone needs to put
zippers that fit in a regular tarp and sell them for 1/4 what rhino rack wants for theirs.

“Also random rant, what they charge for the extra zip on panels is ABSURD. Someone needs to put
zippers that fit in a regular tarp and sell them for 1/4 what rhino rack wants for theirs.”

Amen to that!

Arctic Cat

Adventurer

View attachment 476354 A shot of where and how the Delrin hinges snapped. It was the two bottom awning spreader poles so this shot angle is reversed of how the awning is actually mounted.

View attachment 476355 After removing the set screw, you are left with the portion of the hinge that extends into the spreader pole. Don't bother trying to pull it out...just easily push it into the pole; no harm no foul.

View attachment 476356 Insert the new hinge into the pole. The "fork/split" that you can see on the stem of the hinge (at the pole) only allows it to be inserted one way...easy peasy.

View attachment 476357 Fully seated and you can just see the shiny set screw fully set.

View attachment 476358 Reinsert the long hinge pin (since the bottom Delrin hinge pieces were broken I didn't have to fully remove the hinge pin), tighten the locking nut snugly, and you're on your way. This is a shot of the awning mounted on the truck after the repair. I actually fixed it off the truck on a set of sawhorses in the driveway.

Your thoughts?

Own two, one a Eco wing and the other a Batwing, the knuckles are made out of nylon and they are indeed design to break. Its cheaper to replace those knuckles than to replace the awning. I carried several for that reason, only had problems once.

Ripper

Adventurer
Just got off the phone with Rhino Rack and was assured that the issue with the bag retaining water “has been resolved”. I hope so, I’m about about to pull the trigger on one.

tae73

Observer
Just got off the phone with Rhino Rack and was assured that the issue with the bag retaining water “has been resolved”. I hope so, I’m about about to pull the trigger on one.
I have had both models, get just a little bit of water in the newer model but not enough to be a deal breaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles