Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

yeos

Observer
I got an email back saying that I should wait a few months before trying to get a new cover to be assured that I will receive the updated design.

tae73

Observer
Question about the weight. I need to be able to take this thing on and off by myself. Is the documentation in metric or US? It just says "47.4" without scale. Is that KG or LB? 47kg would be around 100#.

I would say pounds, I have the older version and its not that heavy, the poles could not added that much weight. You can do by yourself but its kind of hard to get the bolts in the holes, doesn't hurt to have a extra hand but can be done by yourself.

St8ton

I'd be interested to hear more about this new bag design. I opened mine up this past weekend after having it closed for about 2 weeks and was very surprised how much water had gathered. It wasn't damp...it was wet. Seems like someone got mention of a new bag in the works and then someone called them on it and it was a no-go. What's the deal?

joagmon

Has anyone had problems with the poles not locking in position? 3/4 of mine will not lock, and yes mine leaks as well. I love the design and actually sold my foxwing that I never had any problems with to get the all inclusive batwing, and now wish I had my old one back.

kdeleon

Observer
Has anyone had problems with the poles not locking in position? 3/4 of mine will not lock, and yes mine leaks as well. I love the design and actually sold my foxwing that I never had any problems with to get the all inclusive batwing, and now wish I had my old one back.
No problem on mine, you talking about the legs or the magnetic hold? Either way both works on mine. The magnet is not that strong but enough to keep it in place as you strap them in place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

St8ton

Contact Rhino Rack regarding your pole problem. I had the same problem with 2 of my poles. One was permanently locked and the other would not catch to lock. They took care of me. Just give them a call and be nice.

joagmon

No problem on mine, you talking about the legs or the magnetic hold? Either way both works on mine. The magnet is not that strong but enough to keep it in place as you strap them in place.

Contact Rhino Rack regarding your pole problem. I had the same problem with 2 of my poles. One was permanently locked and the other would not catch to lock. They took care of me. Just give them a call and be nice.

Will do, thank you.

BradS

I ended up getting one for a great price. Believe me, the bag does need a redesign. It does get wet with minimal rain when its stowed. The peg bag, the awning, everything wet. I'm putting a lot of faith in the reviews that I've read about the materials ability to resist mold and mildew. I'll take the awning off at the end of the month to store it over the winter months. I'll have to come up with some way to mount it to a wall in order to partially deploy it so it can completely dry out.

Clweed

I have one and the leaking bag doesn't concern me. It dries fast when you open it. Just open it before putting it up for the winter. I think it would be worse if the bag was airtight and didn't breathe.
IMG_0895.JPG

kdeleon

Observer
I forget to air it out at times and so far it hasnt shown any sign of molding. I wont make it a habit but at least that gives me some comfort. I also started taking it off if not using it for a long time. There's a cloth section on top piece of the cover and i think it started discoloring. I dont want it to get brittle and rot out from the sun.

Arctic Cat

Adventurer
I love the design, but I purchased mine about a year ago and nothing but trouble. Water sip in while the awning in the travel position staining the fabric. While been close two poles broke off, assuming from the vibration of the trailer. The fabric and rubberized coating is coming apart. It may be great items for the weekenders, but I don't believe it can take the rigors of some us that travel more often.

Attachments

• foxwing.jpg
    foxwing.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 91
  • foxwing5.jpg
    foxwing5.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 91
  • foxwing6.jpg
    foxwing6.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 76

Arctic Cat

Adventurer
I ended up getting one for a great price. Believe me, the bag does need a redesign. It does get wet with minimal rain when its stowed. The peg bag, the awning, everything wet. I'm putting a lot of faith in the reviews that I've read about the materials ability to resist mold and mildew. I'll take the awning off at the end of the month to store it over the winter months. I'll have to come up with some way to mount it to a wall in order to partially deploy it so it can completely dry out.
you will get stains, like mine did

Attachments

• foxwing7.jpg
    foxwing7.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 63

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles