Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

kdeleon

Observer
On my 2nd deploy, we were on a big slab of rock. I've made the mistake of not securing it rightaway and sure enough a wind gust broke two plastic ends. Interestingly it comes with 2 spares (there's 4 total) so time to use it. Bought a pair of those seems like thst won't be the last time i'll break them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just replaced the two plastic ends and noticed that the pole has a slight bend. It is not bent enough to cause any problems at all, but i may try straightening it at some point due to OCD. So the design did cause the plastic ends to break, and not the pole. I wish the pole is a bit tougher but oh well I knew what I was getting so I just need to be a bit more careful next time.

yeos

Observer
I've had my Batwing for a few weeks now and deployment and stowing away is very quick and easy. One thing I do not like about it is that if you live in an area where it rains a lot, water will get inside of the cover from the rear Velcro closure. It will run down the awning poles and material and get it wet with no way to drain unless you open it up to dry. I relayed my concern to rhino rack USA and the rep assured me that the material is mold and mildew resistant and I should not have any problem with any of that developing.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I put a Bat Wing on my trailer. I like the one person easy set up . With out wind it is a standalone awning. with no need to stake it down. I have some awning bags that I can put rocks in to hold it down if not to breezy.

kdeleon

Observer
I've had my Batwing for a few weeks now and deployment and stowing away is very quick and easy. One thing I do not like about it is that if you live in an area where it rains a lot, water will get inside of the cover from the rear Velcro closure. It will run down the awning poles and material and get it wet with no way to drain unless you open it up to dry. I relayed my concern to rhino rack USA and the rep assured me that the material is mold and mildew resistant and I should not have any problem with any of that developing.

i found this out too, as it started dripping water on the living room. The rear closure could be designed a bit better.

St8ton

Welp, mine arrived today with the rains in the southeast. Got it installed tonight on the Pioneer Platform in around 30 minutes by myself, from unpacked out of the box to on the Jeep; promising, considering I may remove it occasionally for various reasons...unless I just absolutely love having it on at all times. I ended up mounting it with the brackets in the low position to clear my seemingly shorter than average garage door height. And honestly I haven't attempted to get it out of the garage so I'm kinda hoping for the best on exit. It looks like it'll clear. Once this rain breaks I'll do a test run in the driveway.

AML

Adventurer
I got mine today too. I mounted it up on my trailer, in the rain but didn’t open it up yet. The manual says to not pack it away wet so hopefully the rain getting in the bag won’t ruin it.

One issue I had was mounting the cleat. The part that gets inserted in the rack was larger than the ones that came for the awning itself. What’s up with that?

AML

Adventurer
Ok I got a break in the clouds so I set it up just so I could see how much adjustment I needed to make. It doesn’t seem too bad although I will tweak it a bit. I did notice that it was just filled with water so the bag doesn’t keep it dry at all. Overall I am happy with it so far. I like that the legs don’t need to be collapsed and can be left at the correct height to be stowed away. And although I haven’t attached my Oztent yet, it looks like it will mate up just fine. Another reason to get one of these if you already have an Oztent. 83A7BC66-86A0-4870-9FB3-487A81E697E6.jpeg

St8ton

Finally had a few minutes to open mine up this afternoon as well. I too have had a good bit of rain today and concur that the bag does let water in and it will work its way down if given the chance. I think like most things...these things just need to be used and you need to be cognizant of what's going on with them. They are a tool, just like a winch or hi-lift jack...if they sit unused bad things happen.
Some things of note that I was concerned about before ordering and mounting...
It will clear the rear lift glass of a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on the low mounting point of the awning brackets. It does not interfere with the doors opening or closing mounted on the low setting and the length (when properly mounted) does not exceed the windshield.
Photos for reference.

BradS

Finally had a few minutes to open mine up this afternoon as well. I too have had a good bit of rain today and concur that the bag does let water in and it will work its way down if given the chance. I think like most things...these things just need to be used and you need to be cognizant of what's going on with them. They are a tool, just like a winch or hi-lift jack...if they sit unused bad things happen.
Some things of note that I was concerned about before ordering and mounting...
It will clear the rear lift glass of a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on the low mounting point of the awning brackets. It does not interfere with the doors opening or closing mounted on the low setting and the length (when properly mounted) does not exceed the windshield.
Photos for reference.

This helps a ton.
The water gathering in the bag that a lot of people are reporting is a big concern, considering I live in one of the wettest places in North America. Like my tent, I want to put that awning on there and leave it till camping season is over in September. But between then and now we see quite a bit of rain.
The tent I have has quite a few rods that hold the window vestibules out which I figured would interfere with the awning, but knowing that there is a lower mounting position that has clearance for the rest of JKU windows and doors is some great information.
Nice looking Jeep by the way.
Thanks very much.

afbond03

Adventurer
I have a oztent RV5. I am wondering, while I wait for delivery, if I will need an additional piece to get it to mate up with the Batwing. Does anyone know?
From what I read I believe on Rhino Rack's website even all previous accessories that worked with the Foxwing will work with the Batwing.

AML

Adventurer
From what I read I believe on Rhino Rack's website even all previous accessories that worked with the Foxwing will work with the Batwing.

I can confirm now it doesn’t. If I had the tagalong tent, I believe it would be just fine. Because I have the regular tent, I believe I need to add the awning connector to make it work. I don’t really want the connector because it comes with the sides and the drain spout. I really just want the zipper. I am trying to locate one now. I reached out to Oztent USA and hoping they can help. I found one on a U.K. website but not much luck anywhere else.

St8ton

I can confirm now it doesn’t. If I had the tagalong tent, I believe it would be just fine. Because I have the regular tent, I believe I need to add the awning connector to make it work. I don’t really want the connector because it comes with the sides and the drain spout. I really just want the zipper. I am trying to locate one now. I reached out to Oztent USA and hoping they can help. I found one on a U.K. website but not much luck anywhere else.
Yep, I too can confirm this...the Batwing will not connect (without modification) to the RV5. I set up camp beside someone with an RV5 and new Batwing and asked him to try it for me out of curiosity. Nope, no go. The zippers are capped on the ends, and seemed to be of a different size tooth.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I don't like that it gets wet inside the storage bag and I don't think I want a wrap around awning with legs. Looks like a great product especially for the money, but the leaky storage bag has got to be fixed. Unfortunately this product is not for me, the search continues.

kdeleon

Observer
We had a bit of rain and sure enough water got in the awning. I'll try wrapping the open end with a plastic bag and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles