Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

emulous74

I have an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn, which is mounted to my Alu-Cab RTT. I have an iKamper X-Cover on order and wanted to get a second 270 degree awning that I could switch between my truck and my trailer. While I love the design and quality of the Shadow Awning, one it is heavy (about 65lbs) and more importantly it basically needs to be permanently installed, which killed my requirement of moving it from truck to trailer. I read the reviews in Overland Journal and it sounded like the Batwing would suit my needs at much cheaper price, my expectations was it wouldn't be anywhere near the quality of the Shadow Awn. I was able to get the Batwing installed on my Leitner Rack, as they make brackets specific for the Batwing. While it's not light, I was able to mount it to my truck on my own. I finally was able to open it up and I really like the design. It is by no means the quality of the Shadow Awn, but I was able to get the Batwing for 1/3rd the price of the Shadow Awn. It's just as easy to open the Batwing as the Shadow Awn, dropping the poles on the Batwing adds 30 more seconds, as the Shadow Awn has one pole, that you don't typically drop down. I'm glad I found this post, because I didn't realize just how important it is to tie down the poles. Overall I'm happy with Batwing and think it will suit my purposes just fine. I'm hoping it will last a long time.

Here are the pics of the mounting and opening of it. As you can see I did damage the bag, as it dragged on the ground, when I was lifting it to the truck.

tae73

Observer
Can anybody settle this? I'm interested in the Batwing Front Edge Zippered Insert. On their webpage they list only one part number, #31124. When I look at the page it says it's compatible with both left and right side Batwings, but then it has a disclaimer saying "Not compatible with the right-hand side mounting Batwing Awning (33200)." See the screen shot. I deployed my awning for the first time in AZ last week, and I really want more coverage.

Curious if you came up with anything on this? I also want to buy the piece but have the right hand awning dont want to waste my money.

Pappy

Curious if you came up with anything on this? I also want to buy the piece but have the right hand awning dont want to waste my money.

I did. I contacted the folks at Rhino-Rack. Their answer was:

"Thank you for contacting Rhino Rack. I apologize for any confusion, this will only work on the Left hand. I will work to get that fixed on the compatibility."

They suggested the Tapered Zip Extension, part 31112.

TantoTrailers

I highly recommend the Tapered Zip extensions...they come with poles so you can have it out but in reality I only use them as walls which adds an insane amount of shade, privacy and protection from the elements.

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
I bought the Rhino Rack batwing awning, and deployed it on my first outing with a very slight breeze in play. Two of the hinge knuckles broke immediately. When putting it away, a third pole hinge broke. I was very disappointed in the product to have it break immediately on first use. The hinge knuckles can barely support the weight of the awning and the poles need to be deployed immediately to support the weight of the awning on expanding the batwing to support the weight. It can not practically be done in a slight breeze by one person. One person has to open it up and expand it to the first setting and support the weight of the awning while a second person sets up the poles and ties them down. Otherwise they will break at the knuckles. My overall impression is that it is a poor design. The hinge knuckles should have been made stronger.

SBSYNCRO

For those of you using this awning with the JKU, are you running the regular (33100) or compact version (33300)? I'm adding a backbone and set of Vortex bars soon and after my last outing in the rain I decided that one of these might be pretty life-changing....

dstock

Explorer
For those of you using this awning with the JKU, are you running the regular (33100) or compact version (33300)? I'm adding a backbone and set of Vortex bars soon and after my last outing in the rain I decided that one of these might be pretty life-changing....

Regular size here with a Pioneer platform on the JKU when it's not on our trailer. It saved our butts (and a few others) when it rained at ExpoWest the first night last year.

SBSYNCRO

Regular size here with a Pioneer platform on the JKU when it's not on our trailer. It saved our butts (and a few others) when it rained at ExpoWest the first night last year.

Thanks - do you have any pictures of it rolled up on the Jeep? Trying to get a sense of how far out it sticks (both to the side and fore/aft).

dstock

Explorer
Thanks - do you have any pictures of it rolled up on the Jeep? Trying to get a sense of how far out it sticks (both to the side and fore/aft).

Best I have at the moment:

i-42qCQbk-L.jpg
i-n77M8sG-L.jpg

and it provides great coverage:
i-zxW46B8-L.jpg

WhiskeyGatherer

Can anybody settle this? I'm interested in the Batwing Front Edge Zippered Insert. On their webpage they list only one part number, #31124. When I look at the page it says it's compatible with both left and right side Batwings, but then it has a disclaimer saying "Not compatible with the right-hand side mounting Batwing Awning (33200)." See the screen shot. I deployed my awning for the first time in AZ last week, and I really want more coverage.

View attachment 503254
I'm in the same boat, kinda. Called today while with my seamstress, trying to come up with a solution and wanted to know the same thing. It would only make sense that they would make a piece for the rear (of the left mounted batwing) so both front and rear angles become 90 degrees. They said that the demand for that hasn't been enough to justify making any.
Looks like I'll be making something on my own then.

SBSYNCRO

Does anyone regret carrying an Awning while off-roading? (having that big 50-100lb thing hanging off one side of the roof)

roving1

I have an RTT so that ship had sailed for me. But I didn't notice a thing extra with the awning. For the utility it provides I would risk it. The coverage 270 awnings provide with the fast setup time for me makes normal ARB type awnings kinda pointless. I have spent whole weekends in the rain under these in relative comfort.

SBSYNCRO

I just dumped a couple thou into fridge, battery, and solar panel along with my deck project. Time to let the wallet cool off a bit, then it will be time for the Batwing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles