Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

dstock

Explorer
Off topic, do you have a tailgate re-Enforced hinge? Curious as I’m looking to add fuel onto my spare tire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the AEV bumper tire carrier with their 10.2 capacity fuel carrier. The tire carrier is frame mounted and linked to the tail gate so that they open together. Otherwise there is no way the tailgate could support the weight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Romer

Adventurer
The only thing keeping me from a batwing is the easy breakage of the hinge. There are significant reviews that discuss this, but also how it comes with two extra hinges

1) How long on the trail does it take to fix? I don't want to hold others up
2) is there anything that can be done to make it more robust so it doesn't break so easy?
3) Has the manufacturer done anything to improve the design

I am debating this vs the 23Zero. This one fits on the GAMIVITI quick release mounting brackets, which is a plus. The 23Zero does not otherwise I would have bought that one already

86scotty

Cynic
Took me 5 minutes or so when I snapped one. I have one left. I have had two of these awnings. The first one opened a full 270 and made for nice even coverage around the back of my truck (SUV then). The second one I ordered has tighter canvas and doesn't quite come all the way around 270. It leaves about a 6" gap at the outside corner of my truck. This sucks because it will definitely let some rain in and I cook/prep on my tailgate. I was stretching it to the max the second or third time I used it when I snapped the hinge.

86scotty

Cynic
Romer, I've had a bunch of awnings. It's still the best value and best made I've had. I would buy another tomorrow if I needed one.

I replaced two of the four hinges at home and it took just several minutes. I suspect it wouldn’t take much longer in the field. It took longer for three of us to untangle the origami mess caused by a sudden Mojave dust devil.

Romer

Adventurer
Leaning towards the batwing. I will buy 3 of what I choose as one is for me, and the other two are for my daughters. Damn I am a great Dad :)

I understand I may have to replace a broken hinge or two and also deploy the poles. If it is windy, I likely wouldnt put up an awning

I like that this will work with Gamiviti's quick release brackets and mount to the underside of my rack, not interfering with the Alu-Cab RTT. This will make it easier to run with and without the RTT
1592276926793.png

Any reasons not mentioned here that I should reconsider and go with the 23Zero? Not sure those brackets will work easy with my Alu-Cab and they won't be the quick disconnects

Romer

Adventurer
Gamiviti is a great dealer and friend. Since he now sells both the Rhino Rack and 23Zero awnings he is going to get one of each and I am going to go over there and try both to see which one I like better. You can't do better than that for customer service

The quick release brackets look like they are a tight fit and wouldn't rattle, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask Tim at sales@gamiviti.com

mcaltitude

“Also random rant, what they charge for the extra zip on panels is ABSURD. Someone needs to put
zippers that fit in a regular tarp and sell them for 1/4 what rhino rack wants for theirs.”

Amen to that!

Agreed. Imagine my surprise when Quadratec sent me the Sunseeker panels for my Batwing. Needless to say, Mount Rainier weather had no sympathy! The price is obscene though - I'm debating buying a 3rd one because I absolutely love them for PNW camping.

I highly recommend the Tapered Zip extensions...they come with poles so you can have it out but in reality I only use them as walls which adds an insane amount of shade, privacy and protection from the elements.

+1

Regular size here with a Pioneer platform on the JKU when it's not on our trailer. It saved our butts (and a few others) when it rained at ExpoWest the first night last year.

I'm also running regular size with pioneer platform on a JKU w/a Tepui Autana 3. Each time it's been used, the Pacific Northwest has rained on us. VERY happy with this awning, despite the $$$. Highly recommend to all.

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94