Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

batmn77

Observer
After purchasing my Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and Backbone system, I became hooked on the quality of their products. I found out they were releasing a new awning called the Batwing and that has lead us to where we are now. The Batwing Awning arrived in a long box, 100” to be exact. Initial impressions were high. The PVC plastic cover for the awning felt solid and durable.

Arrival and unboxing:

Ay8XFg4l.jpg

2TPnphYl.jpg

5d62K9Xl.jpg

m8nFXUUl.jpg

PnWp7DCl.jpg

Instructions are very clear, so follow closely.

Brackets assembled with the needed bolts and nuts.

Pbzue2Cl.jpg

Brackets slide in the channels on the backside of the awning.

gGaFEuHl.jpg

The bottom part of the bracket that extends out 90* slides in the channel of the Pioneer Platform. Mounting to other roof racks will vary installation steps. Ensure you have the awning mounted forward enough as to not interfere with opening the hatch.

td6rCHul.jpg

trXf80Fl.jpg

ct3Tkxxl.jpg

As you open and close the awning it is secured by magnets. These are the small attention to details that I love about Rhino Rack!

XYpfTEXl.jpg

Storage pouch is sewn on to the awning cover and keeps all tie downs and stakes contained within the unit. Again, details!!

1g592svL.jpg

Fully deployed.

fCTszxhl.jpg

Conclusion: I absolutely LOVE this awning. There is one draw back that I have encountered and that is the inability to open the hatch completely when the awning is deployed. However, because the Batwing awning is so easy to open & close, it takes 10 seconds to move the awning out of the way to open the hatch fully. I am fine with this tradeoff, because I love the large footprint of coverage that the awning provides. Also, you still have access to the cargo area by rolling your back window down. I hope this write up & review helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

lV8TCBYl.jpg

St8ton

Thanks for the time and effort in the writeup! I'm strongly looking at one of these for my Pioneer Platform on my JKU. It's my first awning so I'm wondering if I should start with a sunseeker or just go all in on the batwing. Opening my rear window on the tailgate is also a concern (same issue you encountered). Did you order direct from RhinoRack or another distributor?

BradS

I tried to buy a Foxwing back on Black Friday, but it turned out that the online retailer I bought it through had no driver side units in stock. When they attempted to get one from Rhino Rack, they were discontinued. I've been patiently waiting for the Batwing to come out ever since. Cost is high, but I think the 270 degree opening/coverage is essential for my Jeep Wrangler's kitchen setup out the back.
Thanks for the review.

batmn77

Observer
Thanks for the time and effort in the writeup! I'm strongly looking at one of these for my Pioneer Platform on my JKU. It's my first awning so I'm wondering if I should start with a sunseeker or just go all in on the batwing. Opening my rear window on the tailgate is also a concern (same issue you encountered). Did you order direct from RhinoRack or another distributor?

Direct from Rhino Rack, but I believe etrailer.com has Rhino Rack for cheaper. I was unaware when I ordered mine.

I dont think the rear window on the Jeep will present much of an issue, there is clearance under the awning. However, I have a Gobi ladder and that hit the awning. Again, I would not let that small issue deter you from how AWESOME this thing is and the huge amount of coverage it provides!

batmn77

Observer
My experience with awnings is that if they are not easy to use, I will not use them. Setup/teardown quickly becomes a hassle that I don't want to deal with unless I'm staying somewhere for a fairly significant length of time. With that said, I have setup/packed the sunkeeper, and would not purchase it. While it's great when it is deployed, setting it up requires two people, or one person and a whole lot of swearing. Not worth it.

Agreed, if this was a pain to use I would not recommend. The fact that it is so easy to use is what is phenomenal. It is a one person job to open and setup. The poles are attached and fold down in place. This is one of the best designed awnings I have seen and the attention to detail shows.

batmn77

Observer
I tried to buy a Foxwing back on Black Friday, but it turned out that the online retailer I bought it through had no driver side units in stock. When they attempted to get one from Rhino Rack, they were discontinued. I've been patiently waiting for the Batwing to come out ever since. Cost is high, but I think the 270 degree opening/coverage is essential for my Jeep Wrangler's kitchen setup out the back.
Thanks for the review.

Happy to help. You'll be glad that the Foxwing was unavailable when you tried to purchase it. Otherwise you would spend the rest of your days regretting having that and not the Batwing! lol

When you get yours please post pictures, i'd love to see other's setup!

sunnybean

Observer
Great review!

Haven’t used mine much but initial impressions are favorable.

If choosing between a Batwing and a Sunseeker, save your pennies and get the Batwing. Much easier to deploy and pack up with the benefit of more coverage. Literally takes 2 minutes to deploy. About the same to pack up.

FYI, no issue with the Batwing (mounted on a OEM rack) hitting the rear window on a Toyota FJC. The section of the Batwing that covers the rear door is the highest of the four sections. So, the last section is 4-5” above the first/bottom section to be deployed.

Finally, if you qualify for an Experticity team you can save 35-40%.

kdeleon

Observer
I got one from etrailer. It clears the jeep's glass tailgate.

On my 2nd deploy, we were on a big slab of rock. I've made the mistake of not securing it rightaway and sure enough a wind gust broke two plastic ends. Interestingly it comes with 2 spares (there's 4 total) so time to use it. Bought a pair of those seems like thst won't be the last time i'll break them.

d1e8f0be4a248ff1fcda9b08f516013f.jpg

It did work pretty nice here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
1g592svL.jpg

Fully deployed.

fCTszxhl.jpg

......... Let me know if you have any questions.
Maybe it's an optical illusion, but in this photo, it looks like if it was raining, it would all drain to the hinge and right on the right side of your hatch. Are the provided poles adjustable? Or would that make it too low to be practical? Otherwise looks to provide a good amount of shade. Nice!

AML

Adventurer
I bought one of these last week and searched here for any reviews. When I searched, there wasn’t any. Good to see it’s a positive review as I am still waiting for it to arrive. I am mounting mine to a trailer.

batmn77

Observer
Maybe it's an optical illusion, but in this photo, it looks like if it was raining, it would all drain to the hinge and right on the right side of your hatch. Are the provided poles adjustable? Or would that make it too low to be practical? Otherwise looks to provide a good amount of shade. Nice!

The pole heights are all adjustable. There are also multiple points for Guy Line and locations to stake down. So you can basically divert the water any direction you want.

batmn77

Observer
I bought one of these last week and searched here for any reviews. When I searched, there wasn’t any. Good to see it’s a positive review as I am still waiting for it to arrive. I am mounting mine to a trailer.

Be sure to post some pics of yours when you get it! Excited to see how everyone's are turning out.

AML

Adventurer
I have a oztent RV5. I am wondering, while I wait for delivery, if I will need an additional piece to get it to mate up with the Batwing. Does anyone know?

St8ton

I got one from etrailer. It clears the jeep's glass tailgate.
On my 2nd deploy, we were on a big slab of rock. I've made the mistake of not securing it rightaway and sure enough a wind gust broke two plastic ends. Interestingly it comes with 2 spares (there's 4 total) so time to use it. Bought a pair of those seems like thst won't be the last time i'll break them.

Thanks for the image. I've got one on the way. It'll be mounted to my Pioneer Platform so I'm hoping the rear glass clears and/or doesn't push up on the panel too much. I'm looking forward to my first awning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles