RexRover... another 1/2 ton based big luxury overland camper rig (F150) for $350k

sn_85

Observer
From the same company that makes this monstrosity...:rolleyes:

So the funny thing is that TFL did a video on the Ascender at SEMA. Basically the sales associated knew basically NOTHING about the vehicle during the interview. It was basically a bunch of "umm, uhhh, hmm". Roman was asking some pretty basic softball questions and the sales associate didn't know jack shizz about the truck. It was rather embarrassing and cringeworthy how bad the sales associate was. Anyways the interview was so bad that TFL took it down lol. I wish they kept it up so we could see how bad it was. It basically convinced me to never consider anything from 27North. If a sales associate isn't knowledgeable enough about a $1.2M vehicle then I'm not sure I'd want to spend my money on it. Not that I have $1.2M to spend on a vehicle anyways...

rruff

Explorer
This guy seems to know a few "awesome" features.... What are those things on the rear of the roof?

REF

I think this RexRover will fit the bill for a lot of people, I am assuming they went with the supercab configuration because it gives the highest payload option. I haven’t checked out a supercab lately, but with gear, dogs and a kid or the occasional passenger or 2, the quadcab would seem a better fit.
The Tacoma based Truckhouse was the standout build at Overland Expo mountains west for us, but I too was a bit concerned about the chassis choice for the rig, time will tell. Apparently they’ve sold out of the production run for the Tacoma based rigs and are developing the next build based on a completely different chassis, one maybe better suited to handle the weight without heavy modifications. I hope they make it out to expo with it this year, would be exciting to see what they come up with next.
I love that there’s more mid size options coming out, especially cabover options. While they have their place, Earthroamers are not for everyone, price aside, they’re just huge.
We dreamed of having an Earthcruiser for a while, but not sure of the long haul comfort of driving a Fuso.
I’d like to see a Truckhouse on a E350 cutaway/UJoint 4X4/7.3 Godzilla…..love the trucks, but I’m a van guy.

rruff

Explorer
I’d like to see a Truckhouse on a E350 cutaway/UJoint 4X4/7.3 Godzilla…..love the trucks, but I’m a van guy.

For the forward visibility, or... ?

Also, where did you see that Truckhouse was changing the chassis?

REF

Several reasons, yes, one being visibility but also for overall length and front end approach angle for off road, you can’t beat that short front overhang of the E-series when tackling obstacles, and still be on a 1 ton chassis.

I like the fact that with the van based chassis you can incorporate the front seats into the living space with a much larger, more comfortable and usable pass through, and with swivel seat bases, makes the driving/living space much more versatile vs. the separate drive/living quarters of a truck based build, adding to your overall length.

We’re looking at a bunch of options for our next rig, including some sort of Total Composite build, but those have a certain sterile component to them that we might not be able to get around. Plus even with windows, most of the TC builds I’ve seen still seem very closed off from the outside, that’s why we really loved the Truckhouse build, they nailed that interior and maximized the layout in a relatively small space to really incorporate the outdoors with the visibility and openness of the rear U shaped dinette while having the security and comfort of a hard side camper.

I hope I’m not letting the cat out of the bag with this, and maybe a little buzz is good, but I contacted Truckhouse with a few questions regarding the upcoming chassis changes to the all new 2024 Tacoma, which apparently is moving over to a coil sprung rear end, and if they’ll be developing suspension upgrades for the new chassis and my concerns of being overloaded even on a reinforced beefed up suspension like what they did on the current Tacoma. They replied that they’ve run the production on the Tacoma based rig and that they think I’ll like their new offering.

I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with, I think it’s kind of unique in the production expedition vehicle world to see an upstart like Truckhouse, or any production builder, to fulfill a production run using a certain chassis to then move on to offer a whole new production run based on something completely different. I could be mistaken about the Tacoma thing, but can’t wait to see what they come out with next either way, given it’ll most likely be on a much heavier chassis to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
I don't follow Tacoma news. Is it a surprise the new gen is going with coil rear ?

The Tundra switched to coils and turbos, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Tacoma did the same. Probably a fully boxed frame, hybrid option, new transmission, no manual trans, as well.

Truckhouse would make their lives so much easier by making a camper that fits on any 6.5 or 8 ft 1 ton pickup chassis. Don't know if that is their plan... but what else would make any sense?

REF

Right, I’m not sure it’s a surprise that the Tacoma will be following the Tundra formula as far as suspension and drivetrain goes.
It’s more to do with the fact that Truckhouse engineered an entire upgrade to the current generation chassis and suspension to be able to load and haul their proprietary fitting box on the back. They would have to completely re-engineer chassis upgrades for the new Tacoma platform.
My first thought was that they’ll be sticking to the Toyota brand and building on the Tundra platform, but that might not make much sense and I don’t think they have any partnership with Toyota anyway. Their current build was a nod to the owners old 1987 Toyota Tacoma Sunrader.
As far as building something that can be used on the platform of your choosing, I don’t know if they’ll be building a slide in or flat bed truck camper, but we shall see, that would be something I would certainly take a look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
The Sunraider "nod" is pretty humorous. Those things were cheap enough for anyone to afford.

The Tundra would be slightly more suitable, but only slightly. The other issue is that it takes several years for the aftermarket to really get up to speed when there is a major vehicle redesign. If they build it for a 1 ton, it would only require modest tweaks to fit it on any of the 3 options. These are all boxed frames now, so hard-mounting works well and is very simple.

I was think of the Tiger Vehicles, which can be custom fitted to the truck of your choosing. The chassis just needs to have a standard cab-axle distance.

Speaking of Tiger, they used to be quite cheap... but even though they are way more expensive in real terms now... compared to the other overlandy rigs, they still are cheap! $110k plus the truck. Less than half the cost of a TH.

Personally I like the idea of a custom flatbed camper with a molded fiberglass shell, in more of the Tiger price range... designed for overland use; not too wide or heavy, quality components. It shouldn't be that hard, since huge Northern Lites are <$70k... and Aeon can sell their well equipped Transit rig for <$200k.

Last edited:

Spencer for Hire

I think this RexRover will fit the bill for a lot of people, I am assuming they went with the supercab configuration because it gives the highest payload option. I haven’t checked out a supercab lately, but with gear, dogs and a kid or the occasional passenger or 2, the quadcab would seem a better fit.
The Tacoma based Truckhouse was the standout build at Overland Expo mountains west for us, but I too was a bit concerned about the chassis choice for the rig, time will tell. Apparently they’ve sold out of the production run for the Tacoma based rigs and are developing the next build based on a completely different chassis, one maybe better suited to handle the weight without heavy modifications. I hope they make it out to expo with it this year, would be exciting to see what they come up with next.
I love that there’s more mid size options coming out, especially cabover options. While they have their place, Earthroamers are not for everyone, price aside, they’re just huge.
We dreamed of having an Earthcruiser for a while, but not sure of the long haul comfort of driving a Fuso.
Earthcruiser also makes the Terranova based on the 350

trackhead

Adventurer
My only critique is they need to hire a drone operator/videographer who can frame a subject and follow a subject. Other than that, the sister vehicle they make is ugly as hell (Ascender).

BuckinghamBuilt

Its good to see this segment growing but after reading their website they should have had an editor review it because for spelling and grammar. I'm not saying grammar is more important than the actual product but it just looks unprofessional.

Also, is 27North offering two different chassis' as I keep seeing videos of it based on a F-150 1/2 ton but on their website they keep mentioning the F-250. (Edit: I misheard and it looks like just the prototype was a F-150 and the production will be a diesel F-250 :)

One smart decision (in my opinion) is they will be selling these through a dealer network. I just saw a video from StrangerPalooza that Sunshine State RV will be a dealer so I assume at some point you'll be able to see one in person and "kick the tires".

Steve_382

Its good to see this segment growing but after reading their website they should have had an editor review it because for spelling and grammar. I'm not saying grammar is more important than the actual product but it just looks unprofessional.

Also, is 27North offering two different chassis' as I keep seeing videos of it based on a F-150 1/2 ton but on their website they keep mentioning the F-250. (Edit: I misheard and it looks like just the prototype was a F-150 and the production will be a diesel F-250 :)

One smart decision (in my opinion) is they will be selling these through a dealer network. I just saw a video from StrangerPalooza that Sunshine State RV will be a dealer so I assume at some point you'll be able to see one in person and "kick the tires".

Did hear them say the prototype was put together in South Korea? It could be a while before (if) they start building them in the US.

Edit: The box is made in South Korea it sounds like. Not clear how much will be assembled in the US. Perhaps any optional equipment, different fridges, etc. will be installed in the US. They are saying price is about $350,000. Seems like it could take a year to get one of course if they are coming on a slow boat from China, err, Korea.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz