RexRover... another 1/2 ton based big luxury overland camper rig (F150) for $350k

rruff

Explorer

Makes a little more sense than the Tacoma based Truckhouse... but not much. Maybe less in some ways, because if you like Fords, a F350 is a no-brainer for something this large.

Any ideas why they'd choose a F150 instead of a F350? According to their materials, it has a dry weight of 7500 lbs, and the GVWR is 7,680 lbs. So maybe that absolves them of any potential liability regarding the sale of the complete vehicle (the Truckhouse must be bought as an upgrade on a Tacoma you buy separately). But you will of course be way over GVWR when using it. If you are on an extended trip or living in it, probably 2k+ lbs over. Can't imagine Ford honoring any warranties on the chassis.

Nice looking rig, though...

55555-1536x844.jpg

gdaut

In addition to the GVWR, it seems like it would be underpowered with the V6. But what do I know.

Made in Springfield MO. Must be some GXV connection.

Besides the GVWR concerns, the amenities you get with a SuperCab F150 aren't as nice as a SuperCab F250/350. (Just thinking about the freeway miles part of a trip...)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Besides the GVWR concerns, the amenities you get with a SuperCab F150 aren't as nice as a SuperCab F250/350. (Just thinking about the freeway miles part of a trip...)
Amenitites are the same. Cab's are the same for F150/F250/F350. The truck pictured has the base halogen lights and is a SuperCab with an 8' bed. So it's possible they come with the HDPP chassis. Maybe they chose the F150 for fuel economy?

Agreed, though 350K is a big chunk of change. But hey, to each their own.

gdaut

The engine will be fine. Torque is the same as the 7.3L at sea level, and because of the turbos it would be better at altitude.
Well, shows what I know. Will the fuel economy e better with the V6, even pulling that kind of load?

It is a nice looking camper; I hope they succeed.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My guess, the engine. Didn't like the idea of a 7.3L (giant, gas guzzler).

The irony to me (likes Fords) is this same chassis config in the F350 SCLB gas offers one of the highest avail payloads in their PU line. A trimmed model with box delete could approach 5K payload, say 4,800#. And run a 6K FA / 7,230 RA. Why wouldn't you want that ??

Oh right, "the 350 is sooo big. it be overkill with a heavy loaded camper on over sized tires" :rolleyes:

"Instead we'll pick the friendly, F150. That'll sell, I mean who'd want a crew cab anyway ??"
I was thinking the same.

Maybe going F350 is too close to an EarthRoamer so they went F150 to try and differentiate themselves?

ITTOG

Well, shows what I know. Will the fuel economy e better with the V6, even pulling that kind of load?

It is a nice looking camper; I hope they succeed.
No, they really struggle with any kind of load or wind resistence. My 3.5 mpg's drop to about 8.5 mpg's when towing a 1,600 pound 6 x 12 cargo trailer. If I lock the transmission at only 7 gears I would get about 10 to 10.5 if no wind.

rruff

Explorer
Will the fuel economy e better with the V6, even pulling that kind of load?
My guess, the engine. Didn't like the idea of a 7.3L (giant, gas guzzler).

The common refrain from owners is that you get either Eco or Boost... but not at the same time. With an aero challenged heavy load the turbos will be working. If the MPG is any better at all vs the 7.3, it wouldn't be much. I'd rather have the 7.3 for simplicity, but the turbos would be nice at high altitude.

martinf

From the same folks who make the $1M truck.

Twice the price of a Tiger for a less capable truck. Curious to see if it will sell.

On a slightly off topic tangent, it appears expedition trucks and RVs in general are quite a bit less expensive across the pond in Europe vs here in North America and I'm curious about the factors behind that.

Steve_382

Looks very interesting, but if I can afford $350,000 plus, I can also afford the fuel for the F350. Why can't someone do this on the correct chassis? I am sure I have 500 pounds of bikes, climbing gear, books, etc. in my rig now. Something like this or the Truckhouse on an F350 and I would likely place the order. I would like the supercab to cut a foot off the wheelbase. The rear seat in the supercab is pretty good.

Looking at the building associated with the address at their website I'm not sure if this is another vaporware project or not.

1835 North Glenstone Avenue,
Springfield, MO 65803

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Looks very interesting, but if I can afford $350,000 plus, I can also afford the fuel for the F350. Why can't someone do this on the correct chassis? I am sure I have 500 pounds of bikes, climbing gear, books, etc. in my rig now. Something like this or the Truckhouse on an F350 and I would likely place the order. I would like the supercab to cut a foot off the wheelbase. The rear seat in the supercab is pretty good.

Looking at the building associated with the address at their website I'm not sure if this is another vaporware project or not.

1835 North Glenstone Avenue,
Springfield, MO 65803

To answer the truck question. It’s because thats what grandpa had when he passed away. The F150 was just sitting there low miles so let’s build a crazy camper for it??.

rruff

Explorer
On a slightly off topic tangent, it appears expedition trucks and RVs in general are quite a bit less expensive across the pond in Europe vs here in North America and I'm curious about the factors behind that.

I noticed this also... very nice van based RVs with a custom shell, from Germany for only $50k. Would be double here.

Some things in Europe are more expensive and some less. I've bought high end bicycle parts from the UK and Germany for years. Even with shipping, usually less than US wholesale! My guess is that US companies organize to monopolize the industries and bank $$$. That should be illegal, but... Most Euro countries have taxes/tariffs that make imports expensive, but that isn't true of the US. Where vehicles are concerned the US obviously has very restrictive laws to protect (ie boost the profits) of domestic companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles