RexRover... another 1/2 ton based big luxury overland camper rig (F150) for $350k

BuckinghamBuilt

Did hear them say the prototype was put together in South Korea? It could be a while before (if) they start building them in the US.
Yes, I believe the box is made in South Korea so it will be interesting to see how many of these they can be delivered to the US. I also don't believe they gave a date on when they would be available at the dealer.

rruff

Explorer
I just saw a video from StrangerPalooza that Sunshine State RV will be a dealer so I assume at some point you'll be able to see one in person and "kick the tires".
If you can actually drive one and take it offroad, that would be a big improvement compared to the competition. ?

I guess they decided that adding a bunch of stuff (solar, batteries, water, etc) was the way to go. They might be over the GVWR of the F250 pretty quick though... especially with the diesel.

The Korean origin of the camper doesn't seem to save a lot of money at $350k.

Steve_382

If you can actually drive one and take it offroad, that would be a big improvement compared to the competition. ?

I guess they decided that adding a bunch of stuff (solar, batteries, water, etc) was the way to go. They might be over the GVWR of the F250 pretty quick though... especially with the diesel.

The Korean origin of the camper doesn't seem to save a lot of money at $350k.
At this point, I am sure you could convince them to put it on the F350. If the box really is carbon fiber it may not be too heavy. About the same size as the Truckhouse and they claim to be under 10,000 pounds for a complete unit. Still, mostly vaporware for now though.

rruff

Explorer
Yes, it should fit just fine on a F350 with a gas engine, and be well under GVWR.

Carbon sounds nice, but it my testing it sure seemed worse at taking impact than an equivalent thickness of fiberglass layup. It's main strength is much higher stiffness, which isn't something that matters on a rig like this unless you make the walls thin. 2" of foam sandwich with FG layup on each side would be plenty stiff. It looks like they are using a mold though, so maybe they are building it more like a Bigfoot or Northern Lite, with outer structural shell, and the insulation and inner wall added later... that's actually what it looks like. Carbon makes more sense then.

Steve_382

Wonder if they bent that drive shaft on some rocks before it got twisted like that? I would hope you couldn't twist it just by the torque of the motor.

carleton

Wonder if they bent that drive shaft on some rocks before it got twisted like that? I would hope you couldn't twist it just by the torque of the motor.
I think the speculation from some experts is that if you have a wheel in the air spinning....and then it comes down & gains traction.....the sudden deceleration on a vehicle of that mass makes the driveshaft twist up.
A comment on the video is that this rig didn't have lockers, so wheel spin while crossed up could have been substantial.

BuckinghamBuilt

I was at Overland Expo East yesterday and got to tour the Rex Rover on a F250 chassis and in my opinion it was okay. I like the layout and my wife gave the wet bath a thumbs up for the space it provided but a minus for me was the material the used for the cabinet doors. Think locker or school lockers but with even thinner material.

Steve_382

I was at Overland Expo East yesterday and got to tour the Rex Rover on a F250 chassis and in my opinion it was okay. I like the layout and my wife gave the wet bath a thumbs up for the space it provided but a minus for me was the material the used for the cabinet doors. Think locker or school lockers but with even thinner material.
I guess if those cabinets keep the weight down I could live with them. Would love to see an actual CAT scale ticket to see what one of them weighs. I think I would still use the F350 instead of the F250. Maybe they had that chassis sitting around.

BuckinghamBuilt

I guess if those cabinets keep the weight down I could live with them. Would love to see an actual CAT scale ticket to see what one of them weighs. I think I would still use the F350 instead of the F250. Maybe they had that chassis sitting around.
The issue I see is the amount of noise those cabinet doors will have driving on and off the payment.

Steve_382

The issue I see is the amount of noise those cabinet doors will have driving on and off the payment.
I could see that also, but with it on a truck chassis I would think that a sound/temp barrier between the cab and camper might cut that down quite a bit. We test drove the Rossmonster Baja and they have a zip in barrier that works quite well to cut the noise.

BuckinghamBuilt

I saw a new video from StrangerPalooza on Youtube and it looks like Sunshine State RV in Florida will be one of the dealers. Looks like pricing is around $389k but I'd be curious if you'll start to see discounts if they can actually produce them in a timely manner.

Another tidbit of info is the base will be a F250 chassis but they offer a F350 which gives a higher cargo carrying capacity.

trackhead

Adventurer
It looked like failure and massive buckling on the cab/camper interface as well on the "Ascender", which ironically, could not ascend. I'd be hesitant to buy any of their builds until they had some proven background and real people using them. The Ascender looked like an utter failure on many levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online