Review: Helinox Sunset Chair

grogie

Like to Camp
So in another thread I had read about Helinox chairs, including the larger Sunset model that includes a taller backrest/headrest. I had stopped by a local REI who had the regular model on display that has no full backrest, but none to buy and none of the larger Sunset models. For the regular chair, I thought it would be great for someone back packing that wants something to sit on other then a log and that takes up the least amount of space. I personally thought the regular model would be okay to sit in for 30 minutes, but I dreaded the thought of sitting in the chair around a campfire for several hours...

My interest in the Helinox chair to begin with was because I have several lager chairs that are very comfortable with a large seat, arm rests, a drink holder and even a foot rest, however they don't fit inside my trailer and have to ride inside a large duffle bag that is strapped to the outside of the trailer. Which the duffle bag with my chairs is not exactly secure as far as theft when driving across multiple states, plus the bag just tends to get dusty and muddy off-road.

So I read more about the larger Sunset model and people seemed to like them, so I gambled and ordered a pair. Below this is the Sunset with my older and larger, very comfortable chair, side by side, and including when folded up. The size of the Sunset when folded up really is impressive how small it is!

KaacJl.jpg

hPvAVQ.jpg

The Sunset's carrying bag opens up and the outside fabric of the chair is wrapped around the chair's frame, which quickly fits together. (I'll also mention that the chair easily disassembles and as well easily folds back up into the carrying case.)

ukmehG.jpg

b998c3.jpg

Instructions are printed on the back of the chair.

6PPH14.jpg

The Sunset also mentions in the instructions that you can put something inside the carry bag to use it as a padded headrest. Here I have two black hand towels. Either one large towel or three hand towels would probably be even better as a headrest.

2ScFgJ.jpg

The carrying bag then attaches to the top of the chair (front or back) by velcro. By the positioning of the velcro on the front, the "headrest" fits in right at my neck. It's comfortable, although I think a little higher would be better for most people. I do question how the velcro will hold up, as being velcro, I would think that it would attack dust and dirt and not be as easy to clean?

Fz7urC.jpg

N1eoGz.jpg

KUWeBt.jpg

As others had asked in the original thread that I mentioned, "Can I see you sitting in the chair?" Well as other owners I'm sure have also thought, who wants to pose for camera? Well with keeping in mind that I'm 185 lbs. and 5' 11", I fit just fine in the chair. My head is able rest at the top of chair and does not stick over the top to where it's uncomfortable. But I think that if I was 225 lbs. and 6' 3", I don't think my rear end would fit comfortably in the chair and my head will probably rest on the top bar of the chair. IMO, this chair was probably designed for thinner, younger guys that are backpackers to begin with.

Overall I think my one complaint about this chair is no arm rests. I have to let my arms hang over the sides (which isn't comfortable) or tuck my arms in over my hips. I have a two week camping trip later this summer that I'll take these chairs on. I think that the space savings it going to be worth it for long trips, but for shorter trips, I'll probably continue to use my older, larger chairs. I expect these Sunset chairs to hold up well over time as they seem to be well engineered and made.

In this picture, you can see my hips at the side of the chair, so as said you larger guys may not fit!

A0nBai.jpg

Hope that helps... :)

Last edited:

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
A camp chair is at the top of my list of luxury camping items I like to bring. So comfortable around a fire.

Thanks for sharing. Those Helinox chairs are pricey, but the footprint is unbeatable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz