Review: Campaign Furniture Companies - Chair Campaign

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Where is the Campaign Chair?

DSC_5665.jpg

So where is the Campaign Chair now! It is in route to the nwoods. Nathan will be enjoying it over the 4th of July in the Eastern Sierra's. Sounds like a good time!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Justin,

I just caught this thread. I had no doubt that after you, my brother, and I sat in those chairs and discussed how nice these were that you'd end up getting one. Passing the chair around is a great idea and it looks like Andy has improved them.

I will watch this thread closely to see where it travels and how it holds up.

Gear

Justin,

I just caught this thread. I had no doubt that after you, my brother, and I sat in those chairs and discussed how nice these were that you'd end up getting one. Passing the chair around is a great idea and it looks like Andy has improved them.

I will watch this thread closely to see where it travels and how it holds up.

Don't just watch! Give me a heads up and I will get the Campaign Chair in your hands for one of your adventures.

DSC_7383.jpg

Heck my boys should not be the only ones getting good use of this Campaign Chair.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I still need to check with the other guys to see of anyone got a pic of the chair in action in Baja.
I feel bummed in that I had my camera charging and only got the chair out to practice putting it together.
Matt had a seat in it and he is a big boy, the stitching ripped and I got so flustered I just packed in away rather than leave a bad impression with the rest of the guys.
Why was I worried about a bad impression? Well honestly this is an early model chair (or was at the time) so it wasn't fair for folks to judge the quality based on it.

I think when you are talking about a $300 chair it is only fair to show people the real deal, now that Andy has made upgrades to this chair so that it matches what is currently aval I will give it another try down the line and Matt our double amputee participant promises to be more gentle :)

Thanks Justin you are doing a great job with this program and your pics are amazing.

lazersnake

Chair coming to Canada?

Hello All,

I've had my eye on these chairs and they look awesome!

Is there a chance of getting it up to Canada for a quick visit? I'm looking for a good chair but like someone mentioned earlier in this thread - $300 for a chair? I'd br nice to sit in one first.

Let me know!

Jack

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I love the look of this chair! I appreciate all the effort that has gone into the pics & posts, it looks to be an exceptional product! I'd love to give it a try on our Outer Banks trip September 25th through October 2nd 2010 if it is available. :coffeedrink:

AFSOC

Explorer
How long is the set up time on these Chairs? My apologies if it’s already been answered.

Gear

Hello All,

I've had my eye on these chairs and they look awesome!

Is there a chance of getting it up to Canada for a quick visit? I'm looking for a good chair but like someone mentioned earlier in this thread - $300 for a chair? I'd br nice to sit in one first.

Let me know!

Jack
Hello Jack, Canada sounds like a good location. Could you please PM your address so I can look into shipping cost. Do you know if customs would be a problem?

I love the look of this chair! I appreciate all the effort that has gone into the pics & posts, it looks to be an exceptional product! I'd love to give it a try on our Outer Banks trip September 25th through October 2nd 2010 if it is available. :coffeedrink:
The Outer Banks would be Cool. I will write down the dates and let you know as we get closer to September.

How long is the set up time on these Chairs? My apologies if it’s already been answered.
I can build the Campaign Chair in 2 1/2 minutes. The key is to follow the directions. Which took me a while to read. :eek: Also the seat bottom has a specific direction and unless you are building it on a regular basis it takes a moment to identify the correct orientation. I think I solved this problem by writing on the underside of the canvas. This will allow for quick orientation of the seat bottom.

DSC_7414-1.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So where is the Campaign Chair now! It is in route to the nwoods. Nathan will be enjoying it over the 4th of July in the Eastern Sierra's. Sounds like a good time!

The Campaign Chair served us well in the Eastern Sierra's this past weekend. We found a nice spot along Rock Creek to pass the time, as well as on the shores of Crowley Lake for the evening fireworks on the 4th.

926162287_6hEJm-XL.jpg

926162404_cMYZr-XL.jpg

926162446_2DKF3-XL.jpg

926162187_4YUKQ-X2.jpg

Gear

926162404_cMYZr-XL.jpg

This looks very inviting. A cool drink and a nice river to play in! Great photographs. So how did you like the Campaign Chair?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So how did you like the Campaign Chair?

I'm probably one of biggest guys that is likely to try out this chair. I am 6'-7" , 300 lbs with a 40" waist and 54" chest. I found the chair to be very comfortable and strong. It didn't creak or bend or give any of the normal protestations I've grown accustomed to when depositing my bulk into a chair. This chair exudes an aurora of quality that is very appealing. Thumbs up from me! The wood is gorgeous with a lustrous coat of varnish on it. The canvas is very durable, yet breathes well. The first time you set it up, the chair feels wobbly without anyone sitting in it, but that turns out to be a brilliant bit of engineering. Once you sit in it, the legs conform to the terrain and it becomes exceptionally stable, even on unlevel soil. It's like suspension articulation. I didn't have any issues assembling the chair, or so I thought! It has been pointed out to me that in my photos I have the front cross piece stacked above the side support timbers. This raises the front lip of the chair, but since my legs are so long, with my feet flat on the floor and knees bent, the underside of my leg doesn't touch the front edge of the chair and I never noticed. On Sunday I sat in the chair for several continuous hours waiting for the fireworks show, with my legs stretched out in front of me, and I did not notice any discomfort there either. I was quite content to sit and read and relax with some wine while enjoying the sunset over the lake.

Suggestions and Improvements:
Due to my size, I'd love to see a wider arm rest, similar to a Mission style arm chair. This would be easy to make, and would not negatively impact the compactness of the chair when stowed. You could also incorporate a round opening for a cup holder into a wider arm rest, which would be very convenient.
morrischair.jpg

I have some lingering reservations about the buckles, as stated earlier in this thread. The buckles under the seat seem stout and probably will last quite a while, but the buckle clips for the seat back are not what I'd recommend. I'd prefer to lengthen the back frame slightly, so that it intersects downward with the side supports and would allow a pin connection to hold the seat back angle wherever it's desired. A few pre-drilled holes and a wire lock-retainer pin might work.
008236770018lg.jpg

I have spoken to Andy about replacement buckles, and he assured me that should anything happen, he will repair the buckles personally…which is good because they are sewn in and not readily user-serviceable. Personally, I would prefer them not to be sewn in, and to have a few spare buckles included in the carry pouch.

I also think there is a way to facilitate faster set up and a slightly more compact way to stow the chair, by modifying the sequence of steps involved in assembly/disassembly. I took a few photos of this, and will try to post them up later this week.

Final thoughts
I really liked the chair, but can't justify $600 for my wife and I to have them. At this price point, I don't think I am the target demographic, though I would certainly like to be! If you can afford the chair, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it. For those of use who can't, it's yet another thing to aspire too :)

Last edited:

Gear

Where is the Campaign Chair?

DSC_5665.jpg

Scott Brady - Europe - traveling thru 20 countries.

So about a week and a half ago the Campaign Chair was handed off to Scott Brady. Nathan made the exchange with Scott up in the LA area. As most of you are aware Scott is currently traveling thru 20 countries on "The Great Roadway Bazaar". http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45090 I am looking forward to some interesting photographs and possible a story or two. Enjoy the Campaign Chair Scott!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Alet Les Bains France

The chair is safely in Europe, and complimented my campsite at the base of an Abbey from the late 800s

The home where Nostradamus lived was a few blocks away. . .
Campaign_Chair_France_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles