Reverse Spare Tire Mount

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Going on 4 years with our spare reversed on the rear... No problems whatsoever. Bought the G with 97k miles, has 157k now. Driven daily, used for adventures on weekends. Rear door is (over-) used packing groceries and kid stuff in the back day in and day out. Larger/heavier tire than stock too. So there's some actual real world data for you instead of speculation from those who haven't done this.

20150214_151524 (450x800).jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
I do like the reverse attachment. This was a feature (the storage area) used on a few Pinzgauers as their tires are 'reversed' attachment. I especially like the applied cover one customer used to disguise the storage area.

SonnyTheElder

I have the storage compartment on my spare but I was always curious if using a reverse mount would affect the door in the long term. Thanks for chiming in mgmetalworks!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Going on 4 years with our spare reversed on the rear... No problems whatsoever. Bought the G with 97k miles, has 157k now. Driven daily, used for adventures on weekends. Rear door is (over-) used packing groceries and kid stuff in the back day in and day out. Larger/heavier tire than stock too. So there's some actual real world data for you instead of speculation from those who haven't done this.

View attachment 466717

Well done, wish I would have done that to mine!

WarnerD9

Builder
Engineering seems solid, I just mounted one on mine. I too understand that by placing the mount further out it creates more leverage on the mounts, specifically the door, however, it is still the same tire and wheel and they are the same distance from the body. I am confident that the German's over-engineered it. I think so long as it is not in a baja race or continual rigorous travel, there shouldn't be any problems.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I have pulled some rear tire mounts off of rear doors that have cracking at the base of the posts holding the wheel lugs. It may be good to just check it every few years to avoid any risk of catastrophic failure.

JACWAGN

This is the 911 Motorsports unit out of Bend, OR, no? Looks very nice.
https://www.911motorsports.net/Merc...990-2018-G-Class-G500550556365-W463_p_39.html

That is correct! We met them through Instagram and are now distributing the part for them!
Works very well and we're happy to offer it on our site!
Jack Wagon Overlanding is aimed specifically at G Wagon innovation and is in the process of fabricating custom equipment.
It's through the purchase of products like this that we distribute that we are able to fund new projects. One of which will be released in the following week!!
All the money made through Jack Wagon Overlanding goes directly into the development of new ideas to support the G Wagon community.
We offer it with the same free shipping and $5 off for supporting us!
https://jackwagonoverlanding.com/products/spare-tire-reverse-mount

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles