Return of the Dakota? Ram to introduce mid-sized pickup for 2021...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm sure some of you saw this already:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/17...rambler/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo

Ram's still far-off midsize pickup is shaping up to be a rugged body-on-frame pickup if this report from Automotive News is correct. We would assume that because its supplier sources claim the smaller Ram will be built at the same Toledo plant as the current JL Wrangler and upcoming Wrangler pickup, aka Scrambler.

Seem's like Chevy's foray into this segment has shaken the market up.

Of course, with the near-demise of mid-sized BOF SUV's. (I think the 4runner/Lexus GX460 and Wrangler are the Last Men Standing in this segment) it shouldn't be a surprise that mid-size pickup sales are booming, since a mid size pickup is basically a BOF SUV with a small bed instead of a cargo compartment. It appeals to the same urban/suburban non-commercial customer who only uses his truck for "recreation" or home-depot runs.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Same target market as BOF SUV, yes.
But I'm seeing a fair number of commercial users for the mid-size pickups out there also. Probably should be considered "light" commercial users, cargo and supplies not large enough to require the big pickups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94