retrofitting aluminum trailer

rideglobally

Adventurer
i am retrofitting the Alumna 6810 trailer into an enclosed toy hauler for a side car, increasing max load from 2200 pound to 6000 pounds capacity. (the 2200 pound Dexter axel, wheels and tires is for sale) here is the side car build http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/building-a-sidecar-camper.1105402/page-7. trailer will travel off roads. i will have a few questions along the way, my first time building a trailer. the first question is; can you share with me sources for trailer doors and windows for an off road application. thx more questions to come.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 45
  • tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 44
  • buggie on.jpg
    buggie on.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 46

AML

Adventurer
I don't have any answers to your questions, but I am following your thread to see where you take it. I have a smaller Aluma trailer that I bought with the intentions of turning it into a camping trailer. Looking forward to see what you do with yours.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Sources for doors and windows

I used etrailer.com and Vintage Technologies for mine.

There are many more sources disclosed in the builds here, and Mr. Google is always your friend.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing this progress!

rideglobally

Adventurer
thanks, fyi etrailer don't sell windows and door, i have a call into Vintage technologies and i spoken to so cal tear drop for windows and other hardwares.... very helpful. looks like i will end up fabricating my own doors. i got the fender done yesterday, working on the box foundation today. thx

Attachments

• IMG_9578.jpg
    IMG_9578.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9580.jpg
    IMG_9580.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 16

rideglobally

Adventurer
not sure what the terminology is for this but i am trying to figure out the angle when the tow vehicle and the trailer are on a dip. pls see picture, those two wood structure represent angle of the tow vehicle and trailer. is there a formula? average? i am trying to figure out if i should put a slant on the front top of the trailer. there is 60" distance between the tow vehicle and the front of the trailer. the trailer and the tow vehicle are 8' tall. thx

Attachments

• IMG_9584.jpg
    IMG_9584.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 16

rideglobally

Adventurer
been very busy with the build and preparing for our trip to Alaska in 30 days. i have not been able to post step by step build. here are pictures of the almost finished product. it has a 250 watt solar panel,composting toilet (to be installed), sink and cabinets, hand crank winch (can also use an electric drill) to load the side-car.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 14
  • connected 1.jpg
    connected 1.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 15
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 16
  • sidejpg.jpg
    sidejpg.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 16
  • bike on ramp.jpg
    bike on ramp.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 17
  • winch.jpg
    winch.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 14
  • connected.jpg
    connected.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 13

rideglobally

Adventurer
Just now got back from our six month journey to the Arctic Circle. Traveled through BC, the Yukon and over to Alaska. Our rig Nulla did great! Needless to say the trailer did great as well. Having the trailer haul our BMW side car worked! We set camp and used the BMW to roam around. The Dalton HWY as folks know was rough and coming back from the Arctic Circle we lost a trailer tire. Minor fix given we drove some of the roughest roads in Alaska including the Old Denali Hwy, Top of the World HWY, Dempster HWY, etc.... We traveled from California to the tip of Baja, Mexico, a number of times and found the Alaska Hwy rougher than Baja because of the permafrost. Here is our FB page if you want to see our journey in Alaska https://www.facebook.com/nullacruising/ Also enjoy the pictures below!

We had planned to drive from Alaska to South America but now have a change of mind. We loved being on the road and since we have been south a number of times we will cross the Pacific and travel Asia and Europe starting a few months from now--January 2018. We will ship Nulla and buy motorcycles in Asia. So while we will miss the trailer and sidecar we will buy motorcycles when we land on the other side of the Pacific. thx

Attachments

• winching sd.jpg
    winching sd.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 12
  • arctic connected.jpg
    arctic connected.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 12
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 16
  • curtain.jpg
    curtain.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 12

AML

Adventurer
Looks like you had a great time. Glad the trailer worked out minus the tire issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz