Retro Wrangler inspired JKU build

justageek

Hi all,
This is my first build thread, feedback welcome.

I've been a fan of jscherb's builds since forever. The Retro Wrangler caught my particular interest. I recently killed the motor on my 2011 JKU, and decided that since I'm going to have to replace it I should take the time to make some major changes.

I don't have the time to do from-scratch fab work, but happily most of what I want is available to purchase now. Here's the plan:

Engine - RPM Extreme Repower Package
6.0 liter L96 engine and 6l80 transmission
IMG_9660_1.jpg

Classic Gladiator conversion from Chris Durham Motorsports
Fiberglass Hood and Grille, with an original Rhino grille I picked up on eBay.

JTRUK Pickup Truck conversion from Gr8Tops
Cutting the tub behind the B-pillar, lose the rear doors and gain a 6' bed.

Part are starting to arrive. Here's the CDM Gladiator front end fresh out of the shipping crate. Just had to get a feel for the new look. The original hood and grille will be removed of course.
Rhino.jpg

I'll remove that bumper and replace with something more suited to the retro(ish) theme

Other thoughts/plans:
My Jeep is currently 2011 Cosmos Blue. Need to decide if I keep that shade or go with the 2017 Chief Blue. Either way the roof will be white.
Also looking into changing all the hinges, door handles, and other trim to polished stainless steel.
I'm really attracted to the steel wheels that come as the spare for the JT Gladiators. Might try to get my hands on 5 of those.
Currently running on 35x12.50x17 tires with a 2.5" RockKrawler lift. Seriously considering removing the lift and going to 33x10.50x17. If I'm going to use this as a truck there's no sense having the bed at chest height.

justageek

The reason I need a new engine - low water crossing on county road in the hill country west of Austin. "Low" water wasn't low enough after the rains. I made it half way across the river.

Attachments

• 3DAF6E79-09D1-4159-BA52-8FF60490A881.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 91

zgfiredude

I love the plan.....but super tough call on the color! I have a big soft spot for Chief blue and it may fit the theme a bit better, but both are great colors. I have a dream to build a J10 or j20 someday, and my wife even thinks they are cool!!

GritNGrind

Love the Gladiator front clip idea. I agree with the lift downsizing if you plan on overlanding vs serious rock crawling. Good luck with your build, can’t wait to see updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldiesGarage

Oh, that engine looks familiar.

How far are you with the planning process for what parts you are going to use?
Engine management?
Keeping the factory T-Case?

Are you planning to keep the Jeep systems can-bus systems or go more after market?

The front end is really nice. Looks like it will give you more room for bigger radiator and coolers if you that direction.

Edit- Googled, what comes in the RPM RePower Package. Pretty sweet.

Good luck on your build.

Last edited:

justageek

GoldiesGarage thanks for the questions.
Yeah, the package deal from RPMExtreme is pretty complete. Basically just need to add exhaust and driveshafts.
I agree that the extra room up front could be useful. Since the package comes with a new radiator, I'm going to wait until I have that mounted before I decide what else I might do there.

GoldiesGarage

Question, I'm redoing the fuel lines I added this week.
Fuel wise... Do you if you just hook a fuel line from the fuel pump to the engine? Maybe a inline filter but not external regulator?
It says "Fuel line direct fit" on RPMs website.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Go blue with white, would look cool, bonus points for making it look like a Jeep package from the 70s. Also tall skinny tires are the only way to go for the look you want. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would be careful with stainless handles, they look great, but where I live, at 122 in the shade today, sun plus stainless door handles equal burned hands unless you only wear gloves to drive in!

It looks like you might be in Austin, the heat there is different, but the risk is similar.

justageek

Question, I'm redoing the fuel lines I added this week.
Fuel wise... Do you if you just hook a fuel line from the fuel pump to the engine? Maybe a inline filter but not external regulator?
It says "Fuel line direct fit" on RPMs website.
I *think* that the pump, regulator, and filter are all one unit inside the tank.

justageek

Go blue with white, would look cool, bonus points for making it look like a Jeep package from the 70s. Also tall skinny tires are the only way to go for the look you want. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
It's like you're inside my head.

justageek

I would be careful with stainless handles, they look great, but where I live, at 122 in the shade today, sun plus stainless door handles equal burned hands unless you only wear gloves to drive in!

It looks like you might be in Austin, the heat there is different, but the risk is similar.
Thanks for the warning. I was hoping that polished stainless would be cooler than black, but that was just a guess.

Edit: I found these chrome plated plastic door handles: https://www.carparts.com/details/Je...ed_Sport/6_Cyl_3-dot-8L/SETREPJ462501C-2.html
They might have the right look without the pain.

Last edited:

justageek

Today's progress.
b687254921db6b3c5fe57ce8a8e01965.jpg
bbb59558ec8a70ffc01f180cfdce1e20.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles