Retractable swim/boat ladder for camper access?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
If you're rear access, why not use receiver mounted steps. Much more stable. And removable.
You can leave them in or store them right inside the door - first thing deployed/out of harms way.

1000arms

Ha! Not anymore. Got stalled, then redesigned and started over this summer. It's a flatbed now, rear access, cabover bed, PVC foam and handlaid fiberglass (will probably use carbon cloth for the floor/base).
Redesigned before building is often better than redesigned after time and money have been spent building the first design! :cool:

rruff

Explorer
Redesigned before building is often better than redesigned after time and money have been spent building the first design! :cool:
If only... I made the floor/base and both sides before I redesigned. Anybody want some nice foam/fiberglass panels? I'm using one as a work table now.

rruff

Explorer
If you're rear access, why not use receiver mounted steps. Much more stable. And removable.
You can leave them in or store them right inside the door - first thing deployed/out of harms way.
Good idea... but my camper is 2ft longer than the truck bed. I'd need to crawl under there to install or remove it.

That design is common on military trucks. Notably Unimog German ambulance and communication bodies.
You might check with the surplus MogDealers if you want to buy one.

Like this? Don't see any place I could buy one in the US. I like that it isn't telescoping.

cbe5e83dcc52b4cc58cc2a4bed9578cb.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Good idea... but my camper is 2ft longer than the truck bed. I'd need to crawl under there to install or remove it.

Like this? Don't see any place I could buy one in the US. I like that it isn't telescoping.

cbe5e83dcc52b4cc58cc2a4bed9578cb.jpg
Bare feet might be a little sensitive on that.

ITTOG

Those are not all that sturdy.
Very true. My boat has one on the rear swim platform. So when it is down 95% of the ladder is in the water and it is still a bit flimsy.

I always try to look for creative solutions, especially from marine applications. However, I recently got some regular old RV scissor steps for our trailer and they are rock and roll.

View attachment 621628
This is the only way to go. These are awesome and can be installed or removed in about 5 seconds. I love mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94