Retractable swim/boat ladder for camper access?

rruff

Explorer
Seems like a good solution for camper access. I don't recall seeing anyone use a ladder like this however. Maybe there is a good reason? What do you think?

Pros: Doesn't stick out too far when open, light, retracts, locks in place (may need further securing though)

71mxl0BtzbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
That looks like a pretty cool idea to me. I bet there are a lot of ways to make that work as a rack accessory under a tent or camper mount.

rruff

Explorer
Those are not all that sturdy.
Ya, could be... I don't recall ever using one.

I was planning on backing out of the camper anyway, with handholds on both sides. Some sort of ladder makes the most sense. The whole back of the camper will be open (flip up door) to access outdoor stuff, and I figure that will be an active area for cooking and such, so don't want steps that stick way out.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
What kind of camper? Many come with ladders from the factory. But, careful as I don't believe it is recommended you walk on the roof.

I know with ours, we were told for any maintenance items located on the roof, we should crawl to distribute weight.

highwest

I always try to look for creative solutions, especially from marine applications. However, I recently got some regular old RV scissor steps for our trailer and they are rock and roll. E0CFB1D2-FA26-4625-BD64-16C73C866D7E.jpeg

1000arms

I'm building it. The ladder is for regular access, not roof access.
They are integrated into the design of the bed.

Easily my favorite part of this new bed. Deploying takes no tools, and less than 10 seconds. (y)

44999928491_f9d1d968b8_b.jpg

44089120085_a76c7af368_b.jpg

44999924941_a2a5f450c1_b.jpg

44089116685_42a2c2af7f_b.jpg
It was originally a folding step stool. ... Took some rework, but it worked out nice. ... Here you go....

Have you seen IdaSHO's method?

The second quote of his posts includes a link to the ladder he started with.

rruff

Explorer
Have you seen IdaSHO's method?

Yes, I did and it's very cool, but I don't have that much room under the camper where the ladder will be deployed. It's also sticks out further, is probably heavier, I'd have to build a mechanism to stow it, etc.

highwest

Is that a good thing?.... :unsure:
I guess that depends if you like rock and roll... I do.

Very solid though, folds up to a somewhat reasonable size, removable, and not too heavy.

I have a brand new 4 step, 18” wide, aluminum model from CR Brophy that was too long for our application that I could send to you for a reasonable price if you’re interested.

1000arms

Have you seen IdaSHO's method? ...
Yes, I did and it's very cool, but I don't have that much room under the camper where the ladder will be deployed. It's also sticks out further, is probably heavier, I'd have to build a mechanism to stow it, etc.
... I was planning on backing out of the camper anyway, with handholds on both sides. Some sort of ladder makes the most sense. The whole back of the camper will be open (flip up door) to access outdoor stuff, and I figure that will be an active area for cooking and such, so don't want steps that stick way out.
Is this your current plan? https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/tundra-2016-4x4-custom-off-road-camper-build.165762/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior