Retirement truck

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I really like the idea of a F250 Tremor with the 7.3L and an FWC on the back. If I had the cash, I would love to set one up with a flatbed Hawk to leave as a dedicated camping setup and then have a separate truck for doing the rest of the truck stuff.

I nelieve that the Bundutec pop up campers are also set up for a quick, easy dismount so you can leave them behind in your camp.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I think * (and could be wrong) that the FWC's have to have the floor supported the entire time? So they would have to have those x blacks, or blocks, etc under the floor to use as a basecamp off the truck

85_Ranger4x4

Reason is you don't pay the off the lot new tax, and could get a nicer truck for the money. Most trucks you are looking for are going to be mall cruisers and had the duty of kids. I would be a 2-3 year old model and keep the savings for the camper and mods.

Do keep an eye on new though, with rebates and better financing they can be cheaper than a few years old.

Around me they don't seem to depreciate much anymore unless they are really high miles.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a Ram. And love it.

But, I’ve lusted over an E250 or 350 sportmobile for a long time.

I’d venture to say they are more capable than a big Ram. With the atlas t case and 37s there are very few places it couldn’t go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Pretty much my ideal set up @Trikebubble except a 3/4 or 1 ton truck (for payload).

When you say a slightly larger set up, what are you thinking? Lance/Alaskan?

You know, I'm not entirely sure yet. But I'd say something more along the lines of a smaller off-road capable expedition-type smaller rv sized vehicle. Something that we could live full time in for a few years anyways. Probably something that is full height, we were looking at the Earthcruiser style rigs at the last BCOR and they were pretty interesting. 10 years is still a ways out, and things will surely look different at that point anyways.

phsycle

Adventurer
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a Ram. And love it.

But, I’ve lusted over an E250 or 350 sportmobile for a long time.

I’d venture to say they are more capable than a big Ram. With the atlas t case and 37s there are very few places it couldn’t go.

One thing I don’t want to get into is a vehicle that is so customized, getting parts or servicing it would be a nightmare. But maybe there is adventure in that as well!

July, 2005 I bought my first truck & truck camper. It was a Bigfoot 9.4 on a Chevy 2500HD short bed crew cab 4x4. I had that for 13 years as I worked my way into retirement. My trips got longer and longer eventually up to 6 months. After a camper fire a few years ago, I went with an Arctic Fox with a slide (at this point fully into retirement). I hated the slide and the Arctic Fox was a piece of junk compared to the Bigfoot. After about 2 months I traded that in on a 37' Renegade with a Frieghtliner cab and 3 slides (once again I hated the slides). After a few months I unloaded that as it was just too big (but damn it was nice). Then I went with a new Ford F350 diesel long bed crew cab 4x4 and a Northern Lite 10.4. For me (and I'd say I'm pretty much full time.....today is Day 701 on the road), this is the perfect size and anything less won't work for me (although plenty of people I meet do with less but I'm not so sure it's cause they want to but that they have to.....but certainly not in all cases). I also tow an old beater Jeep and that's a necessity for the lifestyle. As you get older it's just really difficult not to have a few amenities. Plus it's great having that truck bed when you need a truck bed.

One tip I would give to preretirement is to work on your health and being fit. I think a lot of people spend time on planning things like the perfect rig but staying healthy is something that I think is often overlooked but is key to enjoying those golden years. Good luck.....retirement is amazing.....

20190503_125229-1600x778.jpg

Last edited:

shade

Think Canyonlands/Maze district

Cool area.

A Ford Tremor would work as well

Not there, it wouldn't. Full size trucks with slide-in campers can be very nice places to live, but they really aren't the best on tight, rough trails like the drive to the Dollhouse. If that's your thing - and I know you don't want to drag a big travel trailer - I'd suggest a small trailer with an ATV of some kind. Far better to beat on a little SxS than your big, expensive home away from home.

challenging predicament of nocturia ?

Only suckers go outside to pee, even in a small tent.

1568377324214.png

I’d say, get what’s going to be the best fit your desires and needs today...you’ll figure out later any changes in rigs to come as those retirement days appear closer on the horizon.

Excellent advice.

One tip I would give to preretirement is to work on your health and being fit. I think a lot of people spend time on planning things like the perfect rig but staying healthy is something that I think is often overlooked but is key to enjoying those golden years.

More excellent advice.

ttengineer

Adventurer
One thing I don’t want to get into is a vehicle that is so customized, getting parts or servicing it would be a nightmare. But maybe there is adventure in that as well!

You mean a Ford with a factory warranty that has parts availability globally?

The interior build out isn’t super complicated either. A little time to learn and you could patch any issue until you get back to the states.

phsycle

Adventurer
July, 2005 I bought my first truck & truck camper. It was a Bigfoot 9.4 on a Chevy 2500HD short bed crew cab 4x4. I had that for 13 years as I worked my way into retirement. My trips got longer and longer eventually up to 6 months. After a camper fire a few years ago, I went with an Arctic Fox with a slide (at this point fully into retirement). I hated the slide and the Arctic Fox was a piece of junk compared to the Bigfoot. After about 2 months I traded that in on a 37' Renegade with a Frieghtliner cab and 3 slides (once again I hated the slides). After a few months I unloaded that as it was just too big (but damn it was nice). Then I went with a new Ford F350 diesel long bed crew cab 4x4 and a Northern Lite 10.4. For me (and I'd say I'm pretty much full time.....today is Day 701 on the road), this is the perfect size and anything less won't work for me (although plenty of people I meet do with less but I'm not so sure it's cause they want to but that they have to.....but certainly not in all cases). I also tow an old beater Jeep and that's a necessity for the lifestyle. As you get older it's just really difficult not to have a few amenities. Plus it's great having that truck bed when you need a truck bed.

One tip I would give to preretirement is to work on your health and being fit. I think a lot of people spend time on planning things like the perfect rig but staying healthy is something that I think is often overlooked but is key to enjoying those golden years. Good luck.....retirement is amazing.....

View attachment 538431

I think that's what lures me to a truck camper set up. It is so versatile. Maybe I start with a smaller camper and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, size up. I'd probably get a 1 ton truck like that to make sure payload won't be an issue.

Perhaps on some trips, I will drag a second rig. Most likely a RZR though, not a Jeep.

phsycle

Adventurer
Cool area.

Not there, it wouldn't. Full size trucks with slide-in campers can be very nice places to live, but they really aren't the best on tight, rough trails like the drive to the Dollhouse. If that's your thing - and I know you don't want to drag a big travel trailer - I'd suggest a small trailer with an ATV of some kind. Far better to beat on a little SxS than your big, expensive home away from home.

Fortunately, I'm not far from there and you are right, I would most likely take a RZR if I venture to places like that. Although there are plenty of stuff there for fullsize trucks. My wife is not really into 4wheeling, so I'd probably just stick to the wide open dirt roads anyway.

phsycle

Adventurer

The interior build out isn’t super complicated either. A little time to learn and you could patch any issue until you get back to the states.

I had a friend with an older Sportsmobile. Always complained about parts availability and finding a good shop. It was a cool van, though, for sure. But I think a truck camper would work for me better.

85_Ranger4x4

How much Ford is left in a 4wd van with an aftermarket t-case rolling on 37's?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Not much, and those vans are toast now. Only the cab of them exists at any factory now. For uhauls and such.

I'd go Trucks and them smallest camper you can stomach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles