Researching motorcycle lift/carrier for an OEV.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Looking for information on carrying my motorcycle on the back of my next OEV. Earthroamer is on the top of my list. Motorcycle will weigh around 600 pounds.
Any ideas?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
The ones I’ve always felt were not janky looking and appeared to be capable of not falling apart during offroad travel are the “three across” hitch mounts. They looked like the bumper had three receivers across the back to support the weight while still being removable.

Will try to find a pic.

zip

The ones I’ve always felt were not janky looking and appeared to be capable of not falling apart during offroad travel are the “three across” hitch mounts. They looked like the bumper had three receivers across the back to support the weight while still being removable.

Will try to find a pic.

Thanks.
What do you think of this?

Still laugh once in awhile when i think of your SMB POS comment.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I think even the three point platforms I referred to utilized some kind of hydraulics in them so its not a bad option. But some of them weight as much as the vehicle you are putting on them so beware of that. It becomes a lot to hang off the back of an already laden vehicle. MIghtyHauler is the name of the one a friend used to use to tote his bike around but that was on highways and relatively flat dirt roads so YMMV

Which begs the question, what motorcycle are you planning to carry on the back of an Earthroamer that weighs 600 lbs? My GSA1200 weighed less than that even with full bags of camping and climbing gear etc? Planning to take the full-dress Harley trail riding?

In any case, the benefit of the hydraulic is ease of loading/unloading - no need for a ramp but weight can be a factor. The three-hitch units are lighter, but you get to tightrope a heavy bike down a skinny ramp from pretty high up.

Not sure which SMB comment you refer to, we've been known to make several. Lol.

Last edited:

knoxswift

I'm late to the conversation but my 2c. I gave up on a "Carrier" and went trailer.
Carriers ended up being too heavy just by then selves.
It needs to be a small motorcycle my Honda was coming right in at about 600lbs too...+ Carrier some suspension modification was going to be needed.

If you need some angle room off road you could always remove a trailer...

Now I must admit I've beaten the heck out of my trailer (but it keeps going). Most motorcycle trailers are made LOW so it's easy on and off. I like that but the bottom sure does hit alot of rocks off road...LOL...

zip

I think even the three point platforms I referred to utilized some kind of hydraulics in them so its not a bad option. But some of them weight as much as the vehicle you are putting on them so beware of that. It becomes a lot to hang off the back of an already laden vehicle. MIghtyHauler is the name of the one a friend used to use to tote his bike around but that was on highways and relatively flat dirt roads so YMMV

Which begs the question, what motorcycle are you planning to carry on the back of an Earthroamer that weighs 600 lbs? My GSA1200 weighed less than that even with full bags of camping and climbing gear etc? Planning to take the full-dress Harley trail riding?

In any case, the benefit of the hydraulic is ease of loading/unloading - no need for a ramp but weight can be a factor. The three-hitch units are lighter, but you get to tightrope a heavy bike down a skinny ramp from pretty high up.

Not sure which SMB comment you refer to, we've been known to make several. Lol.

It appears with a hydraulic lift and bike, I would be adding around 1000 pounds.
I am looking at a BMW GS, which weighs around 600 lbs.
You said your SMB was a POS in my Earthroamer $150K thread.

zip

I'm late to the conversation but my 2c. I gave up on a "Carrier" and went trailer.
Carriers ended up being too heavy just by then selves.
It needs to be a small motorcycle my Honda was coming right in at about 600lbs too...+ Carrier some suspension modification was going to be needed.

If you need some angle room off road you could always remove a trailer...

Now I must admit I've beaten the heck out of my trailer (but it keeps going). Most motorcycle trailers are made LOW so it's easy on and off. I like that but the bottom sure does hit alot of rocks off road...LOL...

Maybe the trailer is the option I need to go with. What kinda tow rig and trailer?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
It appears with a hydraulic lift and bike, I would be adding around 1000 pounds.
I am looking at a BMW GS, which weighs around 600 lbs.
You said your SMB was a POS in my Earthroamer $150K thread.

Yeah that's a lot of beef off the back. Maybe trailer is a good option. When you're looking for a good shake down, you should head up to Church Dome. If we didn't drive all the way in to the base we would pull up short on a spur road above the river looking across the valley and camp there, and then take the Motos (mine was similar to what you are looking for) back in and out each day to climb at church dome. What takes a truck an hour and a half to cover gets done in about 15 minutes on a good motorcycle. Leave your rack at the base overnight and you're even lighter (just don't forget the keys to your truck in your pack -doh)

trailsurfer

Explorer
I had Adventure Trailer build a motorcycle trailer for my motos. I have trailered two GSA’s for many consecutive days off road with out any problems or limitations.

Last edited:

knoxswift

Maybe the trailer is the option I need to go with. What kinda tow rig and trailer?
I have a Kendon folding 2 to 3 motorcycle trailer...like I mentioned great towing on road...but off road it's too low. However it's strong and has taken the beating I give it. So good trailer
FB_IMG_1552828681468.jpg

Tire

I went the trailer route. Bought a used/abused utility bed put the same rims and tires as the truck and enclosed it. Put a crane in the bed to lift the motorcycle. I did not want to back a 550lb motorcycle that is 36+" off the ground. It also has an inflatable zodiac boat all my camping gear, motorcycle gear, and extra hanging space for clothes.

Attachments

• 20190526_194415.jpg
    20190526_194415.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 56

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Google "Red Ant Motorcycle Carrier" In the US Patents Web Site.
I use to build them back in 1970's at the Factory.

I actually made a working upscale version to carry my 1200cc Yamaha Tenere behind my Class A Motorhome, and it loads real easy.
I used a 2000lb cap winch to swing the rail around in the up position. And I can pull my 4x4 Towed .(Flat Towed)

It requires 2" reciever hitches. One on each frame rail at the back of the vehicle. These are what the carrier arms pin to like a trailer hitch bar.
Basically it's a pivoting Motorcycle rail that swings out on an angled 1" (grade 8) pivot pin on the left arm mount.
Then swing the right side rail away from the arm and the rail lowers as it rotates out.
It goes from horizontal to 20 degrees down angle in a 180 degree swing. I did build an extension rail, but have yet to need it because my Motorhome carrier it only about 24 inch off the ground.
I mounted a small winch on the front of the front wheel stop and use it to pull the bike up the ramp/ rail then hold it there while the bike is strapped to the rail. Then unhook winch cable from the bike and use a snach block pully from the rail to the right carrier arm.
Next the winch is used to rotate the rail / with bike strapped to it back toward the right arm.
(Hint, the rail nees to be rotated just a little unuder the 180 degree andgle to pull the rail back around. Say 175 degrees.)
This raises the bike on the carrier rail until it locks into the parking block. One bolt with a rail hold down bracket locks the rail down tight on the right side arm.

Sorry I don't have my pictures with me at the moment. But the US Patents does have concept drawings of the product there. Plus a lot better description for you Engineers!

I use a wireless wInch control to keep everything nice and neat. And I mounted a breaker/ kill switch next to the Coaches batteries to de energize the power cable that feeds back the winch on the back of the coach.

Sorry for the long post, but it may fill your needs as long as you aren't trying to load a bike up 6 feet off the ground.

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have a Kendon folding 2 to 3 motorcycle trailer...like I mentioned great towing on road...but off road it's too low. However it's strong and has taken the beating I give it. So good trailer
View attachment 505353

You can flip the axle on the Kendon trailers for better ground clearance. I have a thread about it on Advrider.com. Just search under the same user name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles