Research/ Experience &Concern about Trailer Manufacturer Response

Enigma

Observer
Great thread. I'm looking to pull the trigger soonish, with what looks like Offgrid as the leading contender so far. I live in southwestern BC (Vancouver) and am tired of dealing with wet canvas issues on my RTT and getting to that point in my life where I just want to open a door to go to sleep. I don't want any wood construction of any kind as well which narrows the list down quite a bit too.
A friend started a facebook page on camper trailers, and I'm moderating a thread I started "North American Made offroad teardrop hybrids", it might help a little bit. I add to the list whenever I discover a new one.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=gm.1266116966863149&type=3&theater&ifg=1

waveone

The input on this thread continues to improve from everyone. My sense is there should be a sticky of sorts dedicated specifically to manufacturers, their product, service and customer experience. Not everyone is going to hold to , nor expect the same qualities, or even service. Yet there should be a standard for accountability and reasonable expectations.

Trailmaker offers some nice trailers / command centers but also requires an @ 60% deposit before construction begins thereby removing most, if not all control in the process from the customer . In other words the customer funds the majority of the build prior to construction and is held at the mercy of Trailmaker. Although they do appear to offer some form of financing which is probably the better option here:

https://www.trailmarkeroutdoors.com/pricing

jd1zzle

I guess I should add another trailer to the thread...locally made here in Colorado, In to the wild Overland (www.itwoverland.com) makes an all composite/aluminum camper. I went and looked at them and they are top notch quality. The galley is pretty neat with the pull out sink/stove/fridge. The real reason I didn’t drop the money on a camper like this is that all the galleys encroach on the sleeping area which doesn’t work for us having a big dog, hence why we ordered the Escapade Backcountry. We drive up to pick it up over July 4 weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

Its surprising what a monkey wrench having a big dog throws into the equation, so many trailers got nixed for poor pooch provisions.. even on big ass campers, all the floorspace is like 1.5ft wide isles with absolutely nowhere for him to turn around let alone have a good spot out of the way to sleep.. popups have like 1sqft of floorspace mostly.. lots of accommodations were made for my 120lb pyrenees mix.. even my tow vehicle was largely influenced by the abundant room and rear cargo air conditioning, the air suspension even deflates in the back all the way so he dont have to jump as high to get in the gate..

Last edited:

Enigma

Observer
Yeah the pooch thing really throws a wrinkle into things. We went from a tiny Shih-Tzu to an 80 lb Bernedoodle; makes traveling a lot more complicated now.

GkraneTX

Its surprising what a monkey wrench having a big dog throws into the equation, so many trailers got nixed for poor pooch provisions.. even on big ass campers, all the floorspace is like 1.5ft wide isles with absolutely nowhere for him to turn around let alone have a good spot out of the way to sleep.. popups have like 1sqft of floorspace mostly.. lots of accommodations were made for my 120lb pyrenees mix.. even my tow vehicle was largely influenced by the abundant room and rear cargo air conditioning, the air suspension even deflates in the back all the way so he dont have to jump as high to get in the gate..

It sure is dread. One of the things I look at is where the heck is my Chessie going to sleep. When builders say optional bunk for small children on the options page I usually think of my dog.

Minjin

Just found this post. Very informative. I have been scouring the interwebs to find a trailer exactly like what the OP is looking for. I looked at the teardrops and I do like the trailers, but I think at this point in my life I would like a little more space. Kids are almost out of the house so it will just be my wife and myself. I want durability and offroad capability for whatever I decide to throw at it. I liked the look of the Black Series Campers HQ15, but after reading the forums, it appears that they are Chinese junk. I do not want a matchstick camper. I would like something sub $50,000 if possible. I always say buy once cry once....

chug chug

Just found this post. Very informative. I have been scouring the interwebs to find a trailer exactly like what the OP is looking for. I looked at the teardrops and I do like the trailers, but I think at this point in my life I would like a little more space. Kids are almost out of the house so it will just be my wife and myself. I want durability and offroad capability for whatever I decide to throw at it. I liked the look of the Black Series Campers HQ15, but after reading the forums, it appears that they are Chinese junk. I do not want a matchstick camper. I would like something sub $50,000 if possible. I always say buy once cry once....

Shoot sorry to hear the Black Series are "Chinese Junk". I was actually coming back to this forum to recommend them and see if anyone had any feed back or experience using one. Which forum threads talked about having issues with them? What were the issues?

The biggest problem for me, is that every nice off-road trailer is loaded up with "luxury" bull?. I don't need or want fine leather, I don't even want a TV or wifi. I don't need or want all the extra trimmings. I want a basic, capable travel trailer, with a decent pricetag.
And having a young (potentially growing family) and 2 mid-large dogs. I'm leaning toward Bunkhouse interior designs. So Unfortunately I'm stuck with standard American layouts with mediocre construction/quality or overpriced luxury loaded crap with a bunch of stuff I don't want or will never use. And I don't have the time/desire to build one myself.

theluckyone

I don't own a Black Series but have spend about 3 hours over a couple trips to the dealer to look them over and consider a purchase of an HQ17 and the quality seems to be very good contrary to the reports. I agree that there is a lot of BS on the trailer like all the tv's and microwave and a/c unit....whyyyyyy! Other than the excessive luxury items and worthless "closets" it seems they could improve quality on the side rock guards and external hatches, both seemed sub par compared to the rest of the trailer.

slindn

Just came across this thread. I have similar needs to some of the folks on here, so I'll be interested to hear what you all decide. In particular, I'm looking for something that has A/C because it gots hot in Texas during summer, which is the best time to camp for me bc my kids are out of school then.

I've posted elsewhere about an Australian company called Zone RV. They sell a hard-sided trailer in 10, 12, or 15-ft configurations that might be of interest. It is called the Expedition. No wood at all in their construction. It is all made from insulated composite panels. A/C is an option. I have been in touch with them, and it sounds like they are starting to sell here in the USA and will be showing one of these trailers at Overland Expo West next spring.

(Also, to all the skeptics, I have zero affiliation with Zone RV. I'm just a regular guy living in Texas who's looking for ways to get outdoors more with my kids.)

I just looked at those at OVERLAND EAST this past weekend. The trailer is a bit above normal trailers, but for off roading, not sure it will be much better. I wanted to buy one but when I looked at them, I was glad I was able to see it in person. Changed my mind really quickly. I bought a Sniper X Expedition made in Australia but distributed by Offroadrv.com out of OK. I have been texting the distributer. He responds immediately. They are looking to build a plant over here in Oklahoma in the next year to produce them here in the States as well as the plant in Australia. North Coast Campers is the manufacturer. My unit did not have AC, but Brian, the man who makes them, offered to take it back to OK and put one in himself! He walked down to talk to some other Australians who were showing their rigs and they got him a demetic AC unit shipped in a day to be there when he drove the 2 days back to OK from VA and he put it in this week. He put in surge protectors for me on the inside so no one would steal them. I would say, after reading your thread, this is not common but I am getting that kind of service. Headed there at the end of the month to pick it up. I have been impressed so far. Brian spend 4 hours taking us through all the things this camper has and how it was made and we bought the demo unit from the show we were that impressed.

I don't own a Black Series but have spend about 3 hours over a couple trips to the dealer to look them over and consider a purchase of an HQ17 and the quality seems to be very good contrary to the reports. I agree that there is a lot of BS on the trailer like all the tv's and microwave and a/c unit....whyyyyyy! Other than the excessive luxury items and worthless "closets" it seems they could improve quality on the side rock guards and external hatches, both seemed sub par compared to the rest of the trailer.
I just looked at one over the weekend. Light on one side of the storage area but not on the other side....doors very thin and not insulated underneath. I was set to buy one that weekend at the Overland EAST expo but after looking at it, I decided to go a different route. I am not sure how "off road" this thing could get.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
These specialty builders are tiny little hobby shops where an owner and a few friends that like to build cool stuff build a few trailers. They rarely are business people and most don’t make much if any money doing it.

Same type of deal in the racing sailboat business. Small shops, small numbers etc. Most go out of business after a short time. We even have a joke in the sail boat building biz. Fastest way to make your first Million is to start with 2 Million.

Some legendary products can come out of small sheds with highly skilled and creative builders. But that is far from mass production or often highly profitable business. LOL

In the sail boat biz I learned a long time ago you want one and its there ready to sail, you buy it!! If its not there and not built yet don’t put much if anything down because you might not get one before the money dries up and the builders move on to other things.

In the software world we call it vaporware. Selling something you don’t have yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles