Research/ Experience &Concern about Trailer Manufacturer Response

waveone

First, I hope this is the correct forum and second , I will refrain from all the manufacturer's names at this point, unless the Administration authorizes me to do so.

After being "bit" by the OffRoad Camping Trailer bug, it has been my Mission to find the right camper-trailer to suit my needs. What I found in short order is no manufacturer in the US that I'm aware of to this point compares to build options, and quality of Oz or the SAfricans. Not for my needs or desires anyway. However there are many teardrop manufacturer's here in the US that offer a variety of options, options ranges, configurations and price points which seem to be very popular. Most appear to be expensive considering the majority have room for sleeping inside and little else. Although, I get the rationale and design which maximizes it's overland range, I'm not a fan. Especially of popping a tent up over a hard shell camper of any kind and climbing a ladder to access for any reason.

There are a lot of folks who may and have taken issue to the point of offense at my comments, yet I'm not novice at back country camping. I've hunted big game all over Texas Idaho, Colorado and NMexico in the gamut of weather, elevations and remote location from a range of accommodations. What I'm looking for will be geared to meet those needs. After a hard day of hunting and hiking steep elevations you want to relax in the evening in relative comfort and have certain amenities that offer ease of use. That means a solid roof over my head that provides some measure of climate control, a means of showering- even outside( also vital when hunting) a decent bed, well equipped & accessible kitchen, storage and communications capability past a cell phone with rechargeable battery stations. An eating area and even some means of entertainment system that accommodates blue tooth/stereo are also quite desirable. This asks a lot yet it is provided in many of the camper trailers offered in Australia and SAfrica. There are some here in the US that "offer" many of those things but not all and certainly not in an Off-Road type camper trailer. Notice I used the term "offer" instead of deliver. Primarily because delivery is questionable at best based upon what I have experienced thus far.

This brings me to my experience, which is quite concerning. I've contacted a few manufacturer's mentioned on this Forum both via email and calls. I can name at least four who have yet to return my call or email in any way. The closest I've gotten was a call back after many attempts from a manufacturer in California who engaged in a thread about the failings of a fellow manufacturer, while extolling how reliable their product and service was. Yet he has yet to send me the email he promised. Still, there was another that told me how great his product was and validated it's now new $80k price, though his website states half that. Only after a series of repeated phone calls & emails by me to got his limited attention, did I see a response. There was another manufacturer with a great website and a seemingly excellent product line who has yet to reply to multiple emails and calls, in addition to a couple others that yielded the same experience.

The collective experience in this exercise is Very Disconcerting. It gives me an idea that very few "manufacturers" have the infrastructure, capitol, business acumen and professionalism to follow through. It is an industry niche in these United States that demands a buyer beware disposition. Especially when I see a specific manufacturer touted here that requires a 33% deposit on contract and another 33% before construction with potential for up to six week wait for material delivery. Really? Their trailer appears to be a nice little product but that is unreasonable and draws a red flag. AS a customer you have very little control over the process once you finance 2/3 of the build before it even begins. Not a chance would that happen with me, nor is it justifiable for many reasons. Being busy is not a valid excuse. In fact this tells me that any manufacturer that exhibits any of the aforementioned behavior probably has a limited time of existence which elicits a number of additional issues.

On the other hand, I will give credit where credit is due- which is probably allowed and should be. Two manufacturer's who I feel can be trusted are Overland Explorer out of Canada- I think and Teardrops NW. Both gentlemen contacted me in short order after inquiring about their product. TeardropsNW has a great interactive website that allows you to choose your model , dress it with options and provides pricing. That gentlemen emailed me within minutes of completion offering to save me money by suggesting similar , cheaper options which would not serve my purpose more efficiently. Whereas the gentleman from Overland Explorer sent me a build sheet with options and engaged in direct dialogue from this site. So, even though I'm not crazy about teardrops for reasons stated, I feel fairly confident these two companies do what they say they can and will do.

Ultimately, I have not found a trailer that meets all my requirements & desires, for now. Yet aside from the two companies mentioned and Conqueror's US rep Dave- who is as professional as they come, I would not hazard a chance or any money on several manufacturer's here in the US, unless there were models ready for delivery.

My mind can be changed. Hopefully this thread will yield more comments from those who have had positive experiences with other manufacturer's. My experience to date however has been enlightening but less than enjoyable.
EDIT: Off Grid is another manufacturer with good response time also

Last edited:

Teardropper

I've been dragging teardrops for fifteen years and during that time period, I bookmarked manufacturers when I would stumble upon them. Most of those links no longer work.

Vistabule, So-Cal, TC Teardrops, and Camp-Inn are solid companies that have been around for at least a decade and have great reputations.

When you look at a manufacturer's website, beware of those that have photos of what appear to be from the same trailer.

T

waveone

Thank you for the response and input. I'm doing the same, though teardrop trailers are way down on my list. Compiling a list of manufacturer's and research is a task but a necessary endeavor.

john61ct

Adventurer
No surprises here.

I'm a noob, and came to the same conclusions long ago.

Either vastly overpay for crap quality and adapt your expectations, or spend almost as much and lots of time building it yourself.

Or go to Australia, take a unit apart to ship it back as parts, and register the rebuilt unit in a home-builder friendly state.

Grassland

VMI offroad. They are out of my price range but seem to be good choice of materials and offers small trailers you can stand up in.
Not a lot of owners or pictures floating around to find recently, but company did respond to my email fairly quickly (like a week)

waveone

Patriot Campers look to be very good to excellent quality, but not even close to the end. They amount to a hauling trailer with specialized compartmentalization, equipped for a tent on top and side. Not my idea of the end in the least. In my line of thinking $30,000-$45,000 is not even close to justifiable for a hauling trailer and a tent. However people pay it.

VMI- I'll only say that in they were one of the manufacturer's that I researched and leave it at that.

Waygoner

Observer
What you're looking for in a trailer mirrors my wish list as well. I live high in the Rockies and need something close to a four season camper (we had 3" of snow over the weekend). I'm a hunter as well and want something rugged with an interior kitchen and enough room to be comfortable after a day in the woods or while sitting out a storm. Very few manufacturers check all of the boxes for me. VMI comes close, but the price is out of the question. I've decided I've got to build my own camper from scratch.

waveone

Intech Trailers and Intechrv are two different companies, just to clarify

Intech Trailers make fantastic all-aluminum trailers

Intechrv has some great looking Trailers & options on their website. In terms of the ruggedness of this Trailer , who knows?

They are another manufacturer I inquired of weeks ago but have yet to hear from them.

No matter how good a product is, unless it is vital to life and property , I'm not chasing anyone down to give them my business. That includes VMI.

If it is this difficult to get a company's attention on the front end, it will be a nightmare after they get my money and on the back end. Service after the sale is vital.That's my sense on it.

In terms of building my own trailer, I've considered doing just that. What deters me is on two points

1. Time in design and running down material and equipment. It's exhaustive and time in cannot be recouped or quantified in cost

2. Resale - trying to sell a "custom" trailer will create an impediment on resale tobthe extent that I may get 50c on the dollar if everything falls right.

In all honesty it may be that way on all or most off road trailer campers. It's a niche market which could lose some momentum, or gain it. Time will tell

Last edited:

dreadlocks

IntechRV is a subsidiary off of intech trailers, same build quality and process.. The've been nothing but exceptionally responsive of all my inquiries, the one issue I had with my fuse box was resolved quickly and painlessly.. they distribute through dealers so you can go find one on a show room floor and buy it there with no deposit or anything.. You can take it anywhere for warranty work, your not locked into the place you bought it from.

They are very rugged, dexter torsion axles and fully welded aluminum tube frame.. not much to go wrong at least on the flyers, they are rather simple.. if I had any gripes at all it was that the cheap dometic fridge it came with was rubbish but I knew that before I got mine.

April 18th 2018 I emailed them a bunch of pre-sale questions, asking for warranty, measurements/dimensions and feedback on aircon performance.. they responded the same day with exact measurements and honest feedback on the airconditioner's limitations, we corresponded several times for the next week and I never waited more than a business day for a response.

June 18th 2018 I emailed them about my busted fuse box, they replied back the 21st and we got things quickly taken care of.

April 10th of this year I emailed them about buying locking slides for my kitchen since my year didnt come with em, they replied back the next day with a quote for sending me just the slide and answered some of my questions about it.

YMMV, but as an actual Intech owner.. I have zero complaints about my trailer or the service.

Last edited:

waveone

What you're looking for in a trailer mirrors my wish list as well. I live high in the Rockies and need something close to a four season camper (we had 3" of snow over the weekend). I'm a hunter as well and want something rugged with an interior kitchen and enough room to be comfortable after a day in the woods or while sitting out a storm. Very few manufacturers check all of the boxes for me. VMI comes close, but the price is out of the question. I've decided I've got to build my own camper from scratch.

I've addressed your comments about building my own trailer to my specifications. As I'm certain you've considered that approach has its own weak points and set backs. Name recognition and resale are at the top of the list.

Indoor vs outdoor kitchen is according to preference and there are different schools of thought. Abiding odor and confined quarters come to mind.

A cook tent or awning like what the Conqueror series of Trailers offers is fine by me. Patriot and a few others offer the same if I'm not mistaken.

Outdoor showers are also fine if set up correctly. It is difficult to check all boxes on a wish list on a 12-14 ft trailer. If it were possible that would be great. Yet nothing quite does that in the US.

Everyone's input here is great , and much appreciated.

One point on Patriot Trailers- their quality looks awesome. Definitely in the top 3 here in the US. That stated $50k plus for a hauling trailer and tent is just outrageous. If I'm missing something about them I'm open to correction

Last edited:

waveone

IntechRV is a subsidiary off of intech trailers, same build quality and process.. The've been nothing but exceptionally responsive of all my inquiries, the one issue I had with my fuse box was resolved quickly and painlessly.. they distribute through dealers so you can go find one on a show room floor and buy it there with no deposit or anything.. You can take it anywhere for warranty work, your not locked into the place you bought it from.

They are very rugged, dexter torsion axles and fully welded aluminum tube frame.. not much to go wrong at least on the flyers, they are rather simple.. if I had any gripes at all it was that the cheap dometic fridge it came with was rubbish but I knew that before I got mine.

April 18th 2018 I emailed them a bunch of pre-sale questions, asking for warranty, measurements/dimensions and feedback on aircon performance.. they responded the same day with exact measurements and honest feedback on the airconditioner's limitations, we corresponded several times for the next week and I never waited more than a business day for a response.

June 18th 2018 I emailed them about my busted fuse box, they replied back the 21st and we got things quickly taken care of.

April 10th of this year I emailed them about buying locking slides for my kitchen since my year didnt come with em, they replied back the next day with a quote for sending me just the slide and answered some of my questions about it.

YMMV, but as an actual Intech owner.. I have zero complaints about my trailer or the service.

Dreadlocks! Excellent post, thank you sir. This is one of the reasons for my posting this thread. You've got my attention now after your input on Intechrv. If they are ruggedly built given the fact that they market through dealers I'm interested. Their pricing is reasonable too

However, I've emailed several times with not a response to date. Perhaps there has been a glitch

Which model did you choose ? Their Explore Flyer and even the Luna look great though it appears a bit like a retail rv park type.

Edit : the Sol looks fantastic too with an indoor bathroom

Last edited:

dreadlocks

I have a Discover Flyer, they no longer make it.. but IMO it was the best one they ever offered, my build is in my signature.. try not to be too hasty to judge about one email exchange, alot of these companies are rather small and it is like show season right now so many might be on the road traveling between conventions/demos.. you could try this guy directly: rschnippel@intechtrailers.com, he's the one who answered all my initial pre-sale questions a year ago.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You might be missing a relatively simple home build solution, by thinking too much “inside the box.”

Several years go, I ran into an interesting and happy guy camping off road in Montana who had taken a small 10’ Casita (or Scamp?) fiberglass fully self contained trailer, cut off its hitch, and then mounted it on a heavy duty 7’ by 10’ flatbed trailer. He’d put on bigger tires and improved the axle for better off road use, added some Jerry cans and mounted them along along the sides of the rig for extra water and fuel.....and had a simple, sturdy, go just about anywhere trailer.

Something to consider?

That simple build definitely sounds easier than a complete home brew solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier