reseal fixed windows

I got a quote for resealing the 7 fixed windows that are on my 1998 Ford E-350. It's more than I can spend right now so I guess I'll be doing this myself. I am pretty handy given my 25 years of construction experience. The glass place that did the quote mentioned the stock butyl tape used is a common problem so they wanted to use a urethane sealer as a replacement. I did some google searches and I found some youtube vids. Everyone does a pretty good job of showing how to do this but what I didn't see was what kind of sealer to buy. Any advice as what is the best product for this would be great.
Also, the glass shop quoted about $1050 to do all 7 windows. Does that sound about right? Seemed fair to me based on the amount of work. Just not in the cards for me right now. If it were closer to $600 I might pay to have it done as I am very busy with other life stuff.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If your window is held by an inside bezel screwed into the outer frame then you may want to consider using a small bulb seal around the lip on the outer window. This will be compressed when it’s clamped in place forming a waterproof seal. This method allows you to remove the window in the future.

Raul

Adventurer
That's a high price.
I've used flowable silicone so seal leaky windows without the need to remove them. Of course, the right way is to remove the window and re-seal.
i recently replaced the rear door windows with pop-outs and used RTV silicone. As Martyn mentioned these windows use screws to be held in place so I think rtv silicone will be good for the job. A windshield is a different application. I am afraid the urethane or other high performance sealers are not too forgiven to adjustments. I was surprised how easy it was to remove the windows. If I were to do all the windows I'll use RTV silicone.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
It's a DIY job.
Plenty of 10mm nuts to remove then with strong careful pressure work the windows out. Two people is preferred, one to push, one to catch.
Keep in mind that you are dealing with glass and it tends to break at the worst time. Be sure to have a line on replacement glass and or supplies to cover the hole if ******** happens.
5/16 round butyl tape is the easiest to work with for installation.
You must clean the plastic and painted body 100% before putting the new butyl tape on. Don't over-tighten the nuts, once secure go in a circle tightening them up by 1/2 turn till the window is back in the same position as it was before (from the outside)
Good luck and take your time.
Start with the smallest first for practice.

gwayms

Observer
Seattle E350 I had all of mine resealed in Issaquah over a year ago at Eastside Glass on Gilman Blvd. It was no where near that price.
If I remember it was only a couple hundred bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online