Rerigging my rig,opinions needed!

sasq40

I'm using a 09 f550 cc with a 12ft deck to haul around my old camper and my jeep for offroad fun. Now tbat our family's growing we upsize to a bigger camper. I'm just looking for tips on how to position it on my rig.
The old camper I took off the bumper and had it slide up to almost the front of my deck (had a slip tank in front) but with the new rig the steps, plumbing and exhaust for the Gen kinda stop me from moving the unit much further ahead.

I don't mind the over hang, its nice to have that deck space for other stuff, and when I bought the camper I was giving a a torklift hitch extension. So I was looking at having a welder just attach another tube to my already beefy hitch on the truck.

The center of gravity sticker is about 10"behind my axle. I did drive the unit back a couple hundred km through some hilly areas and I did notice more movement then our old camper, but I wouldnt say it was a ton.

553a1a3a8fc124497fab15f21009ff3a.jpg
8e740e2b682e6c9d24329f3e982f0c8e.jpg
bb4b273505db85677c25bc6a80148bc4.jpg
376878188116734ea2f8ebf114040e82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Flhtruss

Observer
Hi
I would not like that. The right circumstances and you wouldn’t like having a light front end. Have you weighed that beast. What are each axle’s #’s compared to the sticker. That might help with decisions times. Can you shorten the flatbed 10in?
Russ

Lance990

Observer
I'm with Russ. Putting the camper COG behind your rear axle will unload your front axle leading to an unsafe condition with braking, steering and handling. That is the reason camper manufacturers list their COG. I would definitely re-think your whole set up. Maybe get a bigger trailer and haul your camper and your jeep on it. It would have to be a massive trailer, though.

sasq40

I just got the new camper this week so haven't had time to weight it. I'm gonna pull the steps and change the other stuff and get it further up on the deck. I plan to use the truck for hauling sled in the winter so I don't want to change to much on it

sasq40

Routed the Gen exhaust throw the deck, moved of the removable stairs, and for now I'm going to use a flex house with sewer end on it and leave the sewer on the inside compartment
78a2055f5597b4283c98cc6325840849.jpg

sasq40

Only crappy thing it I can't open my lower boxes cuz of the Jack's. I was going to maybe make a adapter but I'll just throw em on the deck during the summer and back down there in the winter (kinda back words considering the salt lol but I need my deck space in the winter)

2wheel-lee

I'm not sure if it applies here and I don't yet know much about slide-ins, but I've seen some jack extensions available in a few lengths. Would having an extension allow the jack to pivot forward enough out of the way so you can access your lower boxes?

sasq40

I have the dually jack extension on it but I need about 4-5 inches. I auctally have bigger extensions on my old camper to clear my wide rims. But they was they mount it only makes it wider when open, doesn't change anything when it's closed. The bolts on the camper Jack's aren't long enough to do much. I may look into some 4" u channel and try that. Id just have to take it off when using the Jack's to remove the camper cuz I don't like having them that far out when supporting the weight.

jtcym1149

I have dually swing outs and I had 3" extensions fabed up to get it to clear my big rig duals. The extensions essentially move the pole 3" forward when swung in. I was worried about failure due to leverage so I used 3/16 plate and replaced all the grade 5 bolts with 8. I can get some more pix if it'll work for you.

Attachments

• 20200830_175706.jpg
    20200830_175706.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200830_181730.jpg
    20200830_181730.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles