Requirements for motorhome registration in Queensland.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi just saw this posted by Iain over in a unimog thread and thought it would be handy in this section as it comes up so much in conversation here. Please note that other states may vary in some aspects but set out in this application form linked below are all the features to enable you to apply for motorhome registration instead of truck registration. While the rego here is similar for a truck as a motorhome, compulsory third party insurance for a truck is considerably more dollars.

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/QF4550/$file/F4550_ES.pdf

Kind regards John.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
To start with... the only state that I have seen that requires a motorhome to have a pass-thru is Queensland.
And having said that, there is at least one person that I know of (on this forum no less) that has their vehicle registered in Queensland as a motorhome that does not have a pass-thru. Very confusing....

gait

Explorer
nice find from Ian, thanks John

mine is registered as a "truck based motorhome" - whatever that is - no-one who could, or was willing to, explain at the time ....

I'll check the cost. Wouldn't it be silly if the only reason to have a pass-thru would be to reduce registration cost!

And I don't have a seating plan notice, and I don't have any gas vent signs that are needed in other states even if there's no gas ...............

Don't you just love Aussie regulators!

IcedVolvo

Observer
Yep my ATW Scout is also reg'd as "truck based motorhome" and has been for a few years; costs about $900 per annum for rego and CTP.

I also have two "approved" seats in the rear fitted with seat belts and can be used "while in motion" as per compliance plate.

I also have a [motor] bike rack fitted to the rear which exceeds the 60% rule by ~60mm but ONLY WHEN a bike is fitted.

Note however that NONE of the questions with regard to 60% rules or tyre sizes etc on the form mentioned above are required to be entered because my vehicle is under 4.5 tonnes??????

As I have said before in other postings: the rules in the various Australian States are a complete shambles!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
We sure like to complain about how tough we have it in the USA, especially 'California', but it looks like a cakewalk compared to what our Brothers from Downunder have to do.
The two states I'm familiar with:
4 'items' in California, and only 2 'items' in Oregon
-
-

California Recreational Vehicles:
**A recreational vehicle is defined as any motorhome or housecar, travel trailer, truck camper, or camp trailer with or without motive power designed for human habitation or other occupancy.
They must contain less than 320 square feet of internal living room area (excluding built-in equipment and including, but not limited to wardrobe, closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, bath or toilet rooms) and 400 square feet or less of gross area measured at maximum horizontal projections. Recreational vehicles are built on a single chassis and are self-propelled, truck-mounted, or permanently towable on the highways without a permit.
**Motorhomes must contain permanently-installed independent life support systems which meet the criteria of the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) and provide at least four of the following facilities:
cooking
refrigeration or ice box
self-contained toilet
heating and/or air conditioning
a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply
LP gas supply
-
-

Oregon Recreational Vehicles:
A vehicle that has been designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation, i.e., permanent sleeping and cooking facilities. This includes permanently mounted campers on pickup trucks or other truck frames

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles