Requesting assistance from the solar gurus...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
So I'm in the process of installing 4 solar panels (200w, 24v open circuit, Rich Solar mono) atop our little 15A Escape trailer. Due to the small amount of real estate I'm stacking 2 panels atop each other, at each end of the trailer's roof, with the top panels mounted to full extension drawer slides. So 2 of the 200w panels will be full timers with other 2 panels, mounted below each of the full time panels, to be slid out when in stationary camp mode.

I am thinking of connecting the two stacked panels in parallel then the 2 pairs in series. Reasoning: With the lower panel being basically in the dark until the upper panel is pulled out, it should, since its in parallel, allow the full time panel to operate at it's max capability.

So 2P2S. All are managed by a Victron 50/100 MPPT controller.

Am I on the right path?

Thanks!

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Make sure the panels you're buying have bypass diodes in them.

Stacked in parallel (1shaded/1sun), then in series with the other stacked modules.

Modules in series need to be exposed to the same conditions in order to work best. It would also be possible to put the full sun modules in series...that are then in parallel with the modules that are on the slide.

It is a small enough system to experiment to see which configuration gives the best energy output.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ I thought about each pair on separate controllers but I'd prefer not to run another pair of wires to the battery box on the nose of the trailer.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just a quick follow up: The two top panels (200w each) which are always exposed to sky are connected in parallel are connected to the bottom pair of panels (200w each) in series are working out great! Most days, when the 6500w LFP battery needs sufficient charge, I am getting 550-600w generated with the two bottom panels pulled out from underneath their full time counterparts when in camp/stationary mode. I'm happy with that given the panels are parallel to ground and its early March sun angle.

Problem solved!

tacomabill

How much space between upper and lower panels? Panels get really hot in sun, so is there a potential problem due to heat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke