Request: pics/info of your 2009-2014 F150 Supercrew builds

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Bknudtsen, thanks for that suggestion. I looked up those components and it's actually a really nice system! The price isn't bad either.

I still like how the Leitner rack can be outfitted with storage pods and other accessories that are easy to reach. That doesn't seem possible with the Yakima Overhaul rack. If the Yakima baseline mounts with crossbars over the cab would work (be at same height) with the Leitner crossbars, that might be the ultimate rack setup.

Actually, I'm still considering the benefits of a camper shell also......too many options!!

Another option to consider with the Leitner Rack is just adding an extension over the roof when you need it. The aluminum extrusions they use for load bars would make it a cinch to bolt on a cantilever that would span a few feet forward. Buy some 80/20 extrusion and fittings and you’re set.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Another option to consider with the Leitner Rack is just adding an extension over the roof when you need it. The aluminum extrusions they use for load bars would make it a cinch to bolt on a cantilever that would span a few feet forward. Buy some 80/20 extrusion and fittings and you’re set.

MMMM EXTRUDED 80/20!

87f2f5e4-0459-4b80-b874-d149badd0af0_3.4df2d3808f0ea5d68b969a3186230aa6.jpeg

But seriously T-slot would probably work like a charm on the Leitner rack.

KWJohnston

If your a Scotch guy, give Oban 14 a try. It's a Highland whisky with just a small touch of the Islay style smokiness. Easily my personal favorite for special occasions!

Last edited:

KWJohnston

I've been thinking about Fiberglass shells vs Racks. Has anyone here ever used the shells that have storage bins in place of the side windows ?

It seems like that would allow you to have certain items accessible and easy to reach like a rack system. Any negatives to that setup ?

Thanks

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I've been thinking about Fiberglass shells vs Racks. Has anyone here ever used the shells that have storage bins in place of the side windows ?

It seems like that would allow you to have certain items accessible and easy to reach like a rack system. Any negatives to that setup ?

Thanks

Depends on your uses, but for me, I would not like the side storage bins. I'm sure they're useful, but I'd far more want the max room inside of the bed.

I'd instead go with a regular shell with windoors. Then a slide out. This way, you can reach in through the side to get what you need, or use the slide out through the back. And you get the most bed storage space for large cargo.

All that said, I wish a shell would work for me, but I carry oblong cargo a little too often for it to work.

Grassland

Thanks

Problem is those side racks have a low weight rating.
Might not be a big deal for your plans, but for me, it was a big cost when ordering new, and didn't fit or support the weight of what I wanted to put there

Now if you come across it used for the right price? Another story.

When I was looking for 6.5' topper, I found so many local 5.5' toppers in Sterling grey. In the $800-1000 range. Ended up buying new for $2200

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Simple answer: you have to "build" a Tacoma to make it as capable as a lightly modded 1/2 ton truck. The F150 can run 35s with 3" of lift and the crash bars flipped and doesn't need to be regeared. Many of the mods that guys do to the Tacoma are unnecessary on the F150.

As for "Expo" builds...I assume you mean bolting every possiable accessory in plain sight so the world can admire your credit card limit?

I thought the way you built an "Expo Tacoma" was to cover the Tacoma in glue and then drive it through an ARB showroom? :LOL:

Depends on your uses, but for me, I would not like the side storage bins. I'm sure they're useful, but I'd far more want the max room inside of the bed.

I'd instead go with a regular shell with windoors.

Love, Love LOVE my WinDoors. Best option ever on a topper. If I need something out of the front of the bed I just pop the windoor open and reach in. Still functions as a window and even slides open for ventilation (and for drying out after I hose off the inside of the bed.)

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
If your a Scotch guy, give Oban 14 a try. It's a Highland whisky with just a small touch of the Islay style smokiness. Easily my personal favorite for special occasions!

The difference in price between the 14 and the 18 makes it hard for me to 14 when just a few dollars more you can get the 18. If you like smoke you'd probably like Octomore or Lagavulin.

I usually carry at least one bottle with me when I go camping. I got blitzed on a bottle of Monkey Shoulder a few months back, and for the price (high 20s to mid 30s) I don't think you can really beat it. Before that it was Balvenie Doublewood 17, Nikka Coffee grain and Johnny Walker Platinum (better price to taste value than Blue Label imo).

As for toppers, I like them if I dont need to put anything on top of them.

KWJohnston

Ahhh Whisky, one of my favorite subjects. I have a small pocket note pad with my own reviews in there. Pretty basic things like flavor notes or texture...I've never been one of those snobs that could taste things like "orange-currant" like some of the internet reviews! Mostly I try not to get too caught up in those things and just enjoy it!

I like to start out my first pour with something nice, then swap to a less expensive brand or a blend for the next glass (or two). Monkey shoulder is a good NAS blend, maybe the best. I like Dewars for a weekday/everyday sort of thing. I'm also a fan of Irish Whiskey. Good Bourbon is great stuff too. Never have been crazy about Canadian, but won't turn one down if your doing the pouring. Haven't tried any Japanese Whisky, need to do that. Anyways back on topic....!

Thanks for the input on Camper shells/toppers. I current looking at a White V8 STX supercab 4x4 that very clean only 45k miles. Haven't decided if I want to give up on the crew cab yet or not.

Best

Last edited:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Ahhh Whisky, one of my favorite subjects. I have a small pocket note pad with my own reviews in there. Pretty basic things like flavor notes or texture...I've never been one of those snobs that could taste things like "orange-currant" like some of the internet reviews! Mostly I try not to get too caught up in those things and just enjoy it!

I like to start out my first pour with something nice, then swap to a less expensive brand or a blend for the next glass (or two). Monkey shoulder is a good NAS blend, maybe the best. I like Dewars for a weekday/everyday sort of thing. I won't turn down Irish Whisky or Bourbon either. Never been crazy about Brandy or Canadian. Haven't tried any Japanese Whisky. Anyways back on topic....!

Thanks for the input on Camper shells/toppers. I current looking at a White V8 STX supercab 4x4 that very clean only 45k miles. Haven't decided if I want to give up on the crew cab yet or not.

Best

Brandy is distilled wine. She's also a fine girl. What a good wife she would be.

Good luck with your search!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles