Request: pics/info of your 2009-2014 F150 Supercrew builds

KWJohnston

I am currently looking to purchase an F150 Supercrew of the 2009-2014 bodystyle. I'm interested in ideas and suggestions as to how these trucks can be setup and built for Overland use.

Here are some specifics just to give everyone an idea of what I might need. I plan to use the truck to reach Hunting and Fishing destinations. Many of these areas will also be heavily wooded. There will be muddy areas involved , as well as some beach driving to surf fishing spots . I rarely encounter large Rocks or hard climbing situations in the areas I visit. I also don't plan to tow a trailer of any kind on these trips. I may be interested in a RTT. A traditional ground tent might possibly be better for me so that the area a RTT would normally take up can be used to haul fishing rods and other gear.

Any members that have trucks of this era, please post your pics!

Also if you have some suggestions or info on vehicle specific modifications, setups, or organization solutions, please post them.

Thanks.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Theres a ton to consider with that generation of F150s! So you want a Screw, but do you want the 5.5 bed or the 6.5 bed? What engine do you want? I'm a pretty big V8 guy but there are so many options out there.

As for upgrades/modifications I would recommend skid plates as the transmission and transfer case are exposed to everything you drive over. If you're interested in a RTT there are a few things to consider with your rack... do you want it to be permanent or removable? do you want the RTT below the roofline of the cab? Are you more likely to carry a surfboard or kayak that needs to clear the cab? Would a bed cap work better? I ended up with the Leitner Designs ACS because I have a long board and kayak that are 8+ feet long so having a rack below the cab would not work for me.

Another thing to consider is your budget and what trim level you want. If you want to beat the crap out of it perhaps an XLT would be a good starting point. Or if you know you want to put 37s on it a Raptor could be a good option, though you will lose just a bit of payload capacity.

And since you asked for pictures here is mine from a few months back.

BCAiMCL.jpg

KWJohnston

Thanks for the tip regarding skid plates for the transmission and t-case. The "belly" on full size trucks is a bit lower than the midsize trucks.

I plan to get the 5.0 v8. I know Ecoboost owners are happy with there choice, but my preference is for the n/a engine. As for a trim level, I like the XL or STX . Those packages are cheaper but have all the essentials I want. I can upgrade and add what I need as I go along. With an XLT grill swap plus some better wheels and tires they look much better. I plan to get the 5.5 bed, but would take a 6.5 if the price was right.

If I were to purchase a RTT, I would want it to be removable. That way I have the option to carry other items up there day to day when i'm not planning to set up camp for the night.

As for a rack I would absolutely want it above the roof line of the cab. If I carry fishing rods they will need the length across the top of the cab. Seems like you limit the versatility of a rack quite a bit by having it below the roof line.

How do you like the Leitner Designs rack ? I've seen a good many accessories available for them. Any of them you would recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Look at the Yakima Overhaul HD rack as well. Seems like a versatile option. I have been back and forth on racks for my ‘14 F150. Things to look for when shopping for trucks would be the bigger 9.75” rear axle vs. the 8.8. Not sure if all V8’s came with them or not. Also, the 36 gallon fuel tank is great for increased range.

Mine with Bilstein leveling kit and Raptor wheels with 285/70-17’s.

F398AEA1-20E4-491F-9C6B-08A43F752E4E.jpeg

Last edited:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Thanks for the tip regarding skid plates for the transmission and t-case. The "belly" on full size trucks is a bit lower than the midsize trucks.

I plan to get the 5.0 v8. I know Ecoboost owners are happy with there choice, but my preference is for the n/a engine. As for a trim level, I like the XL or STX . Those packages are cheaper but have all the essentials I want. I can upgrade and add what I need as I go along. With an XLT grill swap plus some better wheels and tires they look much better. I plan to get the 5.5 bed, but would take a 6.5 if the price was right.

If I were to purchase a RTT, I would want it to be removable. That way I have the option to carry other items up there day to day when i'm not planning to set up camp for the night.

As for a rack I would absolutely want it above the roof line of the cab. If I carry fishing rods they will need the length across the top of the cab. Seems like you limit the versatility of a rack quite a bit by having it below the roof line.

How do you like the Leitner Designs rack ? I've seen a good many accessories available for them. Any of them you would recommend?

Thanks.

I looked into it a bit more and it looks like the non Raptor or FX4 F150s don't have a skid plate on the gas tank either, and that may be something you want to look into. I have the factory plastic gas skid plate and its been good enough so far. Eventually I may get an aluminum or steel skid for the gas tank.

I think the engine choices as far as what you're reasonably going to find are the 3.5EB and 5.0 V8. A few other engines exist for sure; I'm all about the 6.2 but finding them in non-Raptor trucks would extend your search quite a bit. I would avoid the 5.4. I'm not sure the exact years of that engine that are known to be problematic, but I would just avoid it all the same. The trim levels aside from the Raptor are all your call. If you are already planning on changes to the trim and whatnot it probably doesn't matter as much. I'd stay with the 5.5 if you are going with a Screw, as I feel the 6.5 in the F150 Screw feels awkward. The F250 on the other hand with nearly the same layout feels much more sorted and awkward... just my take. If you plan on doing any suspension upgrades I would probably warn against giant lifts or whatever because with the right suspension setups you can fit much larger tires on the F150 without jacking up super high. I'm much more of tucked in with big wheels than jacked up with big wheels fan, so that could just be my take.

So your RTT should always be removable, I was more getting a rack that is removable or not. While my rack is "removable" with 10 or so bolts, I wouldn't really want to take it off unless I had to. One of my buddies has an F150 and he uses a Yakima bar system that he can basically take out in about 20 minutes. There are some that are hard bolted in, or even welded to the frame. I'd only get a rack that sat below the roof line if it was for a RTT and thats the only thing I used it for.

As for the Leitner Designs rack I love it dude. Its really sturdy, and not really heavy at all. I've had a roof top on it, I've thrown my surfboard on it. They have a TON of accessories for it. I've also had good luck with using Front Runner Outfitters stuff on it, and I'm working on some custom stuff for it myself. They just released a new version of it that is stronger and lighter so its worth looking into if your budget allows. I bet if you had one of those fishing pole carriers you could make it mount up on the top of the rack.

D

Deleted member 9101

The 5.0 is in all ways better than the 5.4. Not that the 5.4 is a bad motor, just that the 5.0 does everything better. The 6 speed behind the 5.0 is damn near bullet proof.

The 6.2 is a great motor, almost the same performance as the 3.5, but it was only available on the upper trim levels IIRC.

The 5.5 bed has a lot of room, people seem to forget how deep and wide it is.

Also, upgrading an STX to include XLT/Platinum/Limited parts is easy.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
The 5.0 is in all ways better than the 5.4. Not that the 5.4 is a bad motor, just that the 5.0 does everything better. The 6 speed behind the 5.0 is damn near bullet proof.

The 6.2 is a great motor, almost the same performance as the 3.5, but it was only available on the upper trim levels IIRC.

The 5.5 bed has a lot of room, people seem to forget how deep and wide it is.

Also, upgrading an STX to include XLT/Platinum/Limited parts is easy.

I completely agree on the 5.0 vs 5.4. I wouldn't say the 5.4 is inherently bad, but if you have any sort of anxiety about reliability I'd shy away from the 5.4.

The 3.5 can be toyed with to make way more power on the cheap compared to the 6.2, the 6.2 you're automatically looking at 8 or 9k to go to forced induction (and have it done right). Livernois Motorsports has a NA kit which claims about 85HP and 60TQ but even that is 5k. Just a quick look into the EB aftermarket scene and it looks like you can push around 400 with a tune and around 450 with a tune and minor mods. I think since it comes from the factory with forced induction there is a lot you can play with there. I'll be honest I was just a tiny bit upset when the last year of the Raptor didn't come with 3.5 as it was rumored to be an option.

The 5.5 is a great sized bed but its on major fall back for overlanding or car camping is that if you install a cap and try to sleep in the bed it probably won't be terribly comfortable. I don't consider myself a tall person (5'10" on my best days) but I was super uncomfortable the few times I slept in a truck bed that short (assuming you have a cap on it and you're not using the tailgate). The 6.5 is the perfect length for camping in the bed, but I don't like driving a Screw with a 6.5 bed... I think it looks weird and feels weird to drive. I either would go with the Super cab (Scab for those in the know) and get a 6.5 bed or make the jump to an F250.

Its awesome that so many of the trim pieces are interchangable, but for the love of god do not put one of those "DOOD" Raptor wanna-be grills. :ROFLMAO:

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
2013 FX4 EcoBoost with Max tow package here. So far it’s been a good truck. Bilsteins on the front, 17s with 285/75s on them. Need to install the add a leaf and Bilsteins in the rear.

Trucks rides great, pulls great, and will do a great job hauling this camper I am sure. Similar mileage to the 05 5.4 I had before, but night and day difference in performance.

723867052cb92f2eea00f13ba17ef9e5.jpg
6154be09d4bf76a13aa5962bd8846a5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KWJohnston

Responding to a few things you folks have mentioned....

I will certainly look into the skid plate options, including the gas tank. Thanks for the tip.

I really like the Idea of the Bilstein lift/level because it uses shocks instead of a spacer. A spacer can work just fine , but it seems like an actual suspension component upgrade works better to improve ride quality. I also like that it's adjustable for the height needed. I do prefer a slight rake over complete level. With a truck perfectly leveled it looks great empty and no load in the back. The problem is when they have any kind of load in the bed, the back end squats down and the nose is up in the air. This makes the truck look weak or like it's struggling.

I'm aware that it's best to avoid the 5.4 3v. Those motors DO have problems. Now the 5.4 2v used in Pre 2004 models was a great motor. My current truck is a 2wd 2005 with the 4.6 2v. I deliberately wanted one with that motor because it is a proven engine. Tons of 4.6 2v Crown Vic taxi/police cars on the road with very high mileage have proven that motor. It IS low on power in a full size truck, but I will take reliability over Horsepower any day. If you look around on different forums you will undoubtedly find folks that have experienced problems with the Ecoboost and 5.0 motors. For me I just prefer a N/A engine. Never have been a Turbo/Supercharger/Custom tune type of guy. Would rather spend the money on other things.

I only mentioned a grill swap because most of the XL trim F150's have the plain black plastic front ends. The factory XLT grill is nice and an easy swap. The STX package usually has a painted grill which looks nice also. That's all cosmetic stuff I know but the wheel swap I think would be a necessity to run wider tires.

I do prefer the 5.5ft bed for the turning radius and overall length. The 6.5ft bed isn't too bad, and if one showed up for a great price I would probably still consider it. Is the 36 gallon gas tank available on the 5.5ft beds?

The more I look at them, the more I like the bed racks over a topper. Both have advantages so its hard to choose. I keep thinking that stuff attached along the sides of a bed rack would be more accessible than climbing inside the topper and digging around. What do you folks think ? What are the Pro's and Con's for topper vs rack in a full size truck?

Thanks again. Keep the pics and setup info coming!

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Responding to a few things you folks have mentioned....

I will certainly look into the skid plate options, including the gas tank. Thanks for the tip.

I really like the Idea of the Bilstein lift/level because it uses shocks instead of a spacer. A spacer can work just fine , but it seems like an actual suspension component upgrade works better to improve ride quality. I also like that it's adjustable for the height needed. I do prefer a slight rake over complete level. With a truck perfectly leveled it looks great empty and no load in the back. The problem is when they have any kind of load in the bed, the back end squats down and the nose is up in the air. This makes the truck look weak or like it's struggling.

I'm aware that it's best to avoid the 5.4 3v. Those motors DO have problems. Now the 5.4 2v used in Pre 2004 models was a great motor. My current truck is a 2wd 2005 with the 4.6 2v. I deliberately wanted one with that motor because it is a proven engine. Tons of 4.6 2v Crown Vic taxi/police cars on the road with very high mileage have proven that motor. It IS low on power in a full size truck, but I will take reliability over Horsepower any day. If you look around on different forums you will undoubtedly find folks that have experienced problems with the Ecoboost and 5.0 motors. For me I just prefer a N/A engine. Never have been a Turbo/Supercharger/Custom tune type of guy. Would rather spend the money on other things.

I only mentioned a grill swap because most of the XL trim F150's have the plain black plastic front ends. The factory XLT grill is nice and an easy swap. The STX package usually has a painted grill which looks nice also. That's all cosmetic stuff I know but the wheel swap I think would be a necessity to run wider tires.

I do prefer the 5.5ft bed for the turning radius and overall length. The 6.5ft bed isn't too bad, and if one showed up for a great price I would probably still consider it. Is the 36 gallon gas tank available on the 5.5ft beds?

The more I look at them, the more I like the bed racks over a topper. Both have advantages so its hard to choose. I keep thinking that stuff attached along the sides of a bed rack would be more accessible than climbing inside the topper and digging around. What do you folks think ? What are the Pro's and Con's for topper vs rack in a full size truck?

Thanks again. Keep the pics and setup info coming!

My buddy has a 2012 with 5.0 and 5.5 bed with 36 gallon tank.

I also have a topper but will probably ditch it since I have a truck camper now. I, personally, would rather have a topper than rack. Keep things locked up safe and dry, can also be another place to sleep.

I had spacers on a previous truck and the bilsteins ride much better. I have the rear lift to do to get some rake back but haven't done it yet, going with add a leaf to help with the sag from the camper.

I have the 6.5ft bed and like it much better than the 5.5 I had before. I don't find it difficult to drive at all with the increased turning radius.

My FX4 does have metal fuel tank skid, not sure about non-FX4s.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
The 36 gallon tank SHOULD be on most Screws. I believe it was an option but one that was checked on all dealership ordered trucks. I only recently found a Screw with a 26 gallon tank.

The FX4 and Raptor have plastic fuel tank skids from the factory. You can find the straps from a few different providers, but as of right now the only place that I know that makes metal skids is RCI. They also have the OEM plastic skid available.

@KWJohnston I'll take a few pictures of the rack later tonight and give you a few more opinions on the topper/cap vs rack. Also, I don't know what your budget is, but if you're looking for ride improvement plus a bit of a lift I'd look into ICON suspension. Another thing to look into is the leaf springs, they really change the feel of these trucks for the better.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
@KWJohnston

Sorry got home late last night and just barely got a bit of sunlight today.

I'm a big fan of the Leitner ACS. Its pretty modular, everything you see on it can be moved around to fit or work however you need it. I am working on making a mount for the bed side of it because with the addition of the gear pod on the drivers side the shovel no longer fits. The install takes about 2 hours with a friend and can be removed in a bit less time assuming you dont take the whole thing apart. There are plenty of other options for racks out there so shop around for sure. Also to consider there are some racks that only come up halfway up the cab which is perfect for carrying a RTT, but that doesnt work for me since I carry other things 95 percent of the time.

I really like some of the new toppers that are out these days, especially since you can get color matched and all that. I think it would be a smart purchase if you were looking to sleep in the bed, but like I said 5.5 is really short. The upside of a topper is that there is an added level of security (or at least the feeling of security) and anything stored in the bed will be out of the elements. I'm not sure about being able to take a topper on and off, but I had a hard top for my Jeep and I usually only put it on and took it off once a year before and after winter.

ErWSeCs.png

MULBaDv.png

aq7BVMX.png

UbDrHQv.png

EDIT/ADDITION: Here is a review I filmed after I made this post:

Also heres a glimpse of my underside with the new skid plates (the nice matte black ones).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

For me I just prefer a N/A engine. Never have been a Turbo/Supercharger/Custom tune type of guy. Would rather spend the money on other things.

I don't know how much you tow...but if you do there is no comparison between the 3.5 and 5.0. While the 5.0 does good for a V8, the 3.5 humiliates it. It's a night and day difference, with only a 1mpg difference in fuel economy whilst towing.

As for the tune, 400-500 gets you 80-100HP on an otherwise stock 3.5 with out any compromises. If you plan on running larger tires the 3.5 with a tune is cheaper and will out preform a 5.0 with gears.

The 3.5 requires no specail maintainence and comes with forged internals and can take a massive amount of abuse. Not to say the 5.0 can't... But it's not built as strong as the 3.5.

I've had both in work trucks and would take the 3.5 10 out of 10 times.

KWJohnston

Currently, I have no plans to do any regular towing. I don't own a boat, enclosed trailer or camper. Because of that, I'm not focused on the engine with most power or potential. I do want the most reliable motor, so let me know your thoughts if the 3.5 has proven to be more durable with higher mileage than a 5.0.

Is a bed rack capable of supporting more weight on top than a fiberglass shell ?

It always seems like most Overland builds are based on the crew cab/double cab configuration. Is there a reason that cab space takes preference over bed space?

Does anyone think a supercab 6.5ft bed is a better configuration over the supercrew with 5.5ft bed?

Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles