Request: pics/info of your 2009-2014 F150 Supercrew builds

KWJohnston

Your right, Brandy isn't a whisky or a whiskey. Above Post edited.... I mentioned it only because Brandy gets brought up often when discussing spirits...

Maybe I can work her into my rotation and see if she grows on me!

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Never have been crazy about Canadian, but won't turn one down if your doing the pouring. Haven't tried any Japanese Whisky, need to do that. Anyways back on topic....!
Are you referring to Canadian Club? If you haven't tried it and can find it, give Tangle Ridge a try.

KWJohnston

I was referring to both Canadian Club or Crown Royal....Can't say I've ever seen a bottle of Tangle Ridge. If I do spot one, I'm willing to give it a try based on your endorsement ;)

I've never been that blow hard at the campsite that flashes his high dollar bottle of booze around and claims anything less is donkey piss. Sometimes your just in a "bottom shelf" sort of mood. Right?!?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Don't get me wrong brandy is a good beverage, I really like it (cognac too for that matter, but thats location specific).

Canadian Club was one of the first whiskys I ever drank, thanks Upper Peninsula upbringing.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was referring to both Canadian Club or Crown Royal....Can't say I've ever seen a bottle of Tangle Ridge. If I do spot one, I'm willing to give it a try based on your endorsement ;)

I've never been that blow hard at the campsite that flashes his high dollar bottle of booze around and claims anything less is donkey piss. Sometimes your just in a "bottom shelf" sort of mood. Right?!?
Tangle Ridge isn't expensive. I'm not a big spender on booze either. I usually go with 12 year old scotches instead of 18's etc... That said, I find I like the Macallan 12 year better than some 15's.

KWJohnston

I live in a small town. Our local store has a limited selection. There is a much bigger store about an hour away from me that carries a bigger variety. Next time I'm out that way, I'll definitely look for it. I sure enjoy talking Whisky with folks who aren't caught up in hype, price and reputation. You can't have a relaxing talk with people caught up on their image. On the other end of the spectrum is the "gimme at bottle of white Licker" guy. Can't have a nice talk with them either.

Most of my friends I feel lucky to have. We can get together around a campfire, bring something different to share, and just enjoy being away from all the family responsibility for a little while. You can't beat good friends., but it requires you working to always be a good friend too.

I have really enjoyed this forum.

KWJohnston

Back to Overland trucks......Have any of you upgraded the factory LSD to a TrueTrac? I keep reading good things about these. From what I have read they engage quicker than the factory LSD. Also because they are gear driven rather than clutch they last almost forever. They also don't require air lines or wiring like an aftermarket locker.

This generation of F150 does have the Locker as an option, but I don't see it that often on the lower trim levels. Is it better for me to hold out for one with that factory option even if its a bit more $$?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Depends on how much you want to tear into it, but I've seen a few trucks get gears, torsen up front and locker in the rear.

One of my friends scored a bunch of parts from a totalled Raptor and it cost him maybe 2k for all of the above vice something like 2k just for the gears, let alone the other gears.

I know we're in a modification happy community but try to find something as close to what you want out of the box. I think there are some trucks with 3.9 gears which wouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't touch anything with gears lower than 3.73. I've driven trucks with 3.55 and 3.31 and its... not fun. Gear for eating up miles on the highway though.

Throwing a locker in the rear should be no issue, but throwing anything up front is going to be a fair bit harder/expensive.

Grassland

The true Trac or Torsen I think is a good idea for daily drivability. It's still a traction boost over open differential.
I'd prefer an electronic locker so I can be open or fill locked when I want, but $$$ and then running cables and switches and fuses vs a pure mechanical part like the True Trac
I agree with badmotorfinger for getting the steepest stock gear your can.
A six speed f150 with 5.0 or EcoBoost and 3.73 is drive able on a 34" tire. An old 4 speed unit not so much.

Grassland

Being that you are looking used, it's going to be harder to find exactly the combo of things you want.
A 9.75 gear set is heavier duty, but if you aren't going to run 35s fully locked and drive sane, an 8.8 will be fine.
Decent support for both, but more options for the 9.75.

Last edited:

KWJohnston

Grassland, a regear has always been in my mind as a must do. I value low speed torque over maximum highway MPG. Most trucks I've test driven would all be a better off road rig if they had some better gearing. My current truck is a 2wd , 4.6 2v with 3.73 gears on factory tire size. I've thought many times that 4:10's would be a better match.

When I do regear, I thought about putting the TrueTrac in at the same time....unless you people steer me in a different direction.

Last edited:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Grassland, a regear has always been in my mind as a must do. I value low speed torque over maximum highway MPG. Most trucks I've test driven would all be a better off road rig if they had some better gearing. My current truck is a 2wd , 4.6 2v with 3.73 gears on factory tire size. I've thought many times that 4:10's would be a better match.

When I do regear, I thought about putting the TrueTrac in at the same time....unless you people steer me in a different direction.

Just get a GEN1 Raptor. Torsen up front, E Locker in the rear. 4.11 gears.

Grassland

Just get a GEN1 Raptor. Torsen up front, E Locker in the rear. 4.11 gears.

Raptors have too much fancy electronic **************** for my tastes. Though the Gen1 aren't so bad.

That WOULD pretty well check all the boxes right out of the gate.

I couldn't begin to afford a current one. I don't think a single Raptor on the lot was less than 88k and had power everything and moon roof and gadgetry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior