Repurpose a smartphone

DIY Guy

Observer
Smart Phones

Ive actually been working on this as well, Im currently revamping the interior and am considering adding one for a cool app I found clled RollMeOver, possibly integrating one as a GPS fed HUD, and if your carrier supports tethering you could have live doppler radar ; )
IMG_20160430_172237.jpgIMG_20160430_174406.jpg

vabluefish

Observer
Wow, great ideas gents. I have an old iPhone 4 sitting around....now I'm thinking of taking it up a notch:

Don't want to hit Bambi on those dark and desolate roads...

FLIR-ONE-iOS.png

DIY Guy

Observer
LOVE the Flir idea! with a couple extension cables you could separate the camera from the phone and mount either wherever you like. I may have to look into this as well! ; )

anickode

Adventurer
Are there any good GPS apps out there that keep the nav data stored on the phone instead of relying on the cellular data connection?

Korben

Adventurer
Are there any good GPS apps out there that keep the nav data stored on the phone instead of relying on the cellular data connection?

Been wondering about that as well, I figure the ideal GPS mapping software/app would store all the map data if needed offline, but would update it and add traffic etc. when a connection is available.

anickode

Adventurer
Been wondering about that as well, I figure the ideal GPS mapping software/app would store all the map data if needed offline, but would update it and add traffic etc. when a connection is available.

Right. An app like that would be useful on a deactivated smart phone... update the maps and database on wifi, but it can map and calculate routes internally without connecting to a server. Google maps can calculate a route and then save it for later offline use, but it doesn't work if you divert from that route. And it's not much use for simply exploring.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Backcountry Navigator is the app you want. The paid version will also let you direct a bigger mass of stored offline map data to an added microSD card.

See the Maps / Navigation / GIS (Software) and GPS & Computer (Hardware) subforums here for more about such things.

tabletbracket14_zpsj3ruub4g.jpg

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
GPS Essentials is a free app that allows some off network map storage. Although it's a bit clunky to get used to.
I've been able to lay out routes using Google Earth (verifying against other maps and resources) then upload the KMZ file directly into GPS Essentials. Sorry, I don't think it's available for apple products yet.

GPS Essentials on Galaxy s5
IMG_0175 by Tim, on Flickr

Clintnz

Observer
Yep, I've got OsmAnd too, works well for offline street mapping. I also have the NZ topomaps on an app called Viewranger.

Anyone planning on using a phone for nav should check how accurate it is, my current Samsung x-cover3 isn't very precise when it comes to location. However my tablet, a cheap Acer 7", is really good, bigger antenna I guess. It works really well on the dash of the 'Cruiser.

Love the look of that vehicle inclinometer app, might have to get that for fun.

I think with that Flir system you would HAVE to remote the camera as IR don't work too good through glass. Cool though.

Cheers
Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles