repower...my final decision

I have in my possession the skill, tools, and time to repower montee.
she is a gen 1 with the almighty , but lac-luster 6g73.
a fine enine but too modest to really bark.
and the godawful and dead nuts reliable asain transmission is a dream except what little power the feeble 6 puts out is consumed by this monster.
it is the principle hinderacne between a 17 mpg montee and a 27 mpg montee.
that trans consumes 40 hp right off the top.
so for years now I have dither ed and fussed about a repower.
I have come to my conclusion.
starting at the transfer case which is a rubicon 241, -a must have, I tried various engine trans combos that would make the grade.
my final decision , based on all factors, but most importantly the transfer case equation ,
is to repower with a 3.9 mopar v6 magnum with sequential fuel injection, a 4 speed auto trans, and of course the rubicon.
incredibly cheap, plentiful, power is no problem , a wide number of transmission choices, and a wide and beaten path by others makes this a cannot fail project.
famous last words.....

kalieracer

Observer
You could do a OM605 in the MK1 that would get you 250hp and 30MPG and mate that to the Rubicon trans and transfer case. Mechanical injection. I would suggest you use the newer 5 speed box and standalone 722.6 trans controller. My friend has that setup in Gen3 he just bought. I currently have 300+ HP 3.8 mivec in my gen 2 that runs great.

I love my mercedes cars, detest their quirky engineering, and have had poor result with their diesels. but I'm impressed with ur set up.
personally I have only 1 diesel left in my motlet assortment of rigs.
I'm unsure if I will ever buy another. but promise to look into this further.

instead of a repower, for now anyway.
I'm considering a re trans.
the low point on our gen1 rigs is power.
I've heard numbers as high as 30 percent to drive the aisin.
it is a notoriously inefficient transmission.
is to wa585, NAG 1 transmission in our future?
worth a serious investigation.

I suspect though have no basis for fact, that our little 3.0, with EDIS6, and the chrysler intake, would be a starkly different animal.
not in a huge way, like a burro to a mule, but more like a chipmunk to a squirrel.
lifting the burden of that automatic, would not only free up power, but improve fuel mileage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles