Replacing the factory frame mounted battery?

Jb1rd

Explorer
Hi all,
I am ready to replace the battery on the frame rail but have a question, I know I am supposed to replace with the equivalent of what is under the hood, my question is this, can I use an Optima Yellow Top down there, I have a Red Top for my starter in the engine bay? I ask about the YT because I already have one and would prefer not buy another battery. If it is not a good idea, should I buy another YT or a RT? Here are the specs I pulled from the interwebs:

RedTop YellowTop
Part No. 8004-003 8014-045
BCI Group Code 34/78 D34/78
Dimension 10.06 x 6.94 x 7.88 10.06 x 6.94 x 7.88
Capacity AH 50 Ah 55 Ah
Voltage 12 12
Cranking Amps 1000 CA 870 CA
Cold Cranking Amps 800 CCA 750 CCA
Reserve Capacity 100 Min 120 Min
Approx. Weight Lbs 38.8 Lbs 43.5 Lbs
Battery Type Factory Sealed AGM Factory Sealed AGM
Polarity Right Positive Right Positive
Warranty 36 Mo.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I forgot which motor you have, but the 7.3 required two 850CCA batteries.
Just do your best to match them but no matter what, the stronger/newer battery will fall to or less of the weaker.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
X2 you'll need 2 matched batteries if you're running a diesel. If gasser, run an ARC or similar isolator and mix away.

Even batteries of different ages will drain each other and shorten battery life.

For a 7.3, I've seen it recommend to run matching 1000 CCA Batteries. Diesels are high compression engines which require an abundance of power to crank if cold.

Jb1rd

Explorer
What is an ARC? Where would I look for an isolator in the system if it were already there? (I ask because the frame mounted battery has been removed for awhile now and the van runs just fine, would that be an indication that there is a relay/isolator in play already?) And for those of you that have the Ford factory mounted box on the frame rail what is the best way to get the battery back up there, getting it off was a PITA? Floor jack and blocks? A buddy and a few beers? :elkgrin:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Nevermind, I think I have a couple pics in my build thread, (dbl palm to forehead)

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their factory frame mounted battery, I took mine out completely and struggling to remember how the multiple ground wires hook up DOOOOOOOHH!!! (Palm Forehead)

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
What is an ARC? Where would I look for an isolator in the system if it were already there? (I ask because the frame mounted battery has been removed for awhile now and the van runs just fine, would that be an indication that there is a relay/isolator in play already?) And for those of you that have the Ford factory mounted box on the frame rail what is the best way to get the battery back up there, getting it off was a PITA? Floor jack and blocks? A buddy and a few beers? :elkgrin:

My bad... I meant to type ACR (Automatic Charge Relay).
For example
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles