replacing rear gate/hatch handle (step-by-step guide)

vanatee2000

Observer
so it seems to be pretty common on monteros to have the rear hatch/tail gate handle quit working. its a pretty simple procedure but i figured i would document it so that others can see how its done

gate handle (1 of 17).jpg

as you can see mine is broken. i have gotten by with a strap tied to the inside handle for a while but it gets pretty old having to open the back door and find the strap just to get the back hatch open.

------------------------------------------

gate handle (2 of 17).jpg

view from outside

-------------------------------------------

gate handle (3 of 17).jpg

first, open this little cover and remove the screw

gate handle (4 of 17).jpg

then slide the handle cover out...notice that on the right side the pieces are hooked -- you have to slide the whole piece to the right first, the out and to the left

gate handle (5 of 17).jpg

i decided to remove the oh-**** handle in the rear because it seemed like i might need a little extra wiggle room since the upper plastic cover, the one that surrounds the window, overlaps the bottom portion.

--------------------------------------------

gate handle (6 of 17).jpg

remove the four screws inside the tool storage

---------------------------------------------

gate handle (8 of 17).jpg

wiggle loose the plastic cover for the door. the cover is held on by those little white push-tab things...mine were brittle and a few broke. also, the way they are attached to the back of the plastic cover is strange. be careful.

---------------------------------------------

gate handle (7 of 17).jpg

here is a look at the backside of the assembly

----------------------------------------------

hQddG4q.jpg

close up of how the rod that connects the handle to the latch. you will also need to remove all four nuts, they are 10mm

-----------------------------------------------

hQddG4q.jpg

you will need to separate this plastic retainer with a small pick or screw driver.

gate handle (11 of 17).jpg

here you can see the retainer after it has been opened/separated.

jvAvijz.jpg

2TulmTV.jpg

a couple shots of the old handle and the new one. you can see the white plastic piece that extends on the new handle (on the right, of course) is broken off of the old handle (on the left).

EwEElQt.jpg

the rod is inserted into the new handle assembly. next step is to close the retainer.

yQq0Yz3.jpg

you can see that the retainer overlaps onto itself and that is what secures it...the top is sorta wedged against the bottom. you should be able to see the detail in the photo.

afTdQ9M.jpg

all buttoned up. putting the door back together is just the opposite of taking it apart.

well, easy as that. took about 15 minutes...i didnt even finish a cup of coffee. also, i am including a link to all the photos on imgur because, like some of the other users on this forum, the photo upload doesnt work for me...maybe its an issue with chrome, who knows. in any case, i have to upload the photos to imgur (way better than flickr, picasa, photobucket, or anything else like that) and link to each image. the URL to the imgur gallery of the photos is: http://imgur.com/a/m9VUJ i was able to upload the first ten photos to the portal here but the rest had to link to imgur since there is a maximum of ten photos you can upload per post?

Attachments

• gate handle (9 of 17).jpg
    gate handle (9 of 17).jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

vanatee2000

Observer
I've got big plans for a future walk-through...probably won't be for two months though. There will be a couple smaller ones like this before the big dog... hopefully,they will be helpful.

earljuic3

Adventurer
I have done this on my truck as well, I have found that the tolerances on the replacement ones don't seem to be quite the same or perhaps I am missing something.. but I have a pretty noticeable rattle in my rear door when I drive now and mine is installed exactly as pictured above. Handle works fine but the rattle has me on the verge of insanity. Anybody got any feedback on this issue?

vanatee2000

Observer
Hmm no rattle on mine. Could the nuts have backed off, allowing the assembly to rattle against the door? Or is the handle mechanism itself loose?

twocommas

Observer
Where did you guys get your rear door handle? I broke mine last weekend and now it only opens from the inside. And did you buy an OEM?

earljuic3

Adventurer
Mine is an EBAY replacement, picked it up super cheap and works fine. @vanatee2000 I figured out my rattle, the orange clip wasn't properly secured allowing that arm to bounce around a bit inside the door when I drove, I secured it and the noise went away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior