Replacing my Group 27 battery with Group 31 battery. Is that ok?

I chose Interstate on similar logic, there being something like ~450 Costco locations in CONUS, but also Interstate re-sellers all over. The OP's '300mi from a Costco' is surprising.

I don't understand exactly what you are saying.

I live in Houston. I have about 10 Coscto Wharehouses within an hour driving distance from me. None carries a Group 27 battery. The closest that carries a Group 27 battery is over 200 miles from me. The first Coscto which is 10 minutes from my house that I went to told me the location they found which carries that battery is over 300 miles from me in Pharr, TX. Then another store I called found a store in Selma, TX has it, which is over 200 miles from me.

If you call and find a Costco in the Houston area which sells Group 27 battery, kindly let me know. I have called over 5 of the stores here in Houston. They do not carry it and will not order it for me.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I don't understand exactly what you are saying.

I live in Houston. I have about 10 Coscto Wharehouses within an hour driving distance from me. None carries a Group 27 battery. The closest that carries a Group 27 battery is over 200 miles from me. The first Coscto which is 10 minutes from my house that I went to told me the location they found which carries that battery is over 300 miles from me in Pharr, TX. Then another store I called found a store in Selma, TX has it, which is over 200 miles from me.

If you call and find a Costco in the Houston area which sells Group 27 battery, kindly let me know. I have called over 5 of the stores here in Houston. They do not carry it and will not order it for me.
I wasn't saying anything about your situation. I was just adding info. I intend a move to Texas in a few years and am about to move to Vegas, out of CA. Been looking up locations of a lot of stuff / places. Your '300mi from' caught me as a surprise. I've been looking up all sorts of info in the region around Tyler and Costco was something I'd failed to look into. So I did.

ExpoMike

I chose Interstate on similar logic, there being something like ~450 Costco locations in CONUS, but also Interstate re-sellers all over. The OP's '300mi from a Costco' is surprising.

Google search showed this, Walmart had a total of 4,756 stores throughout the United States as of January 31, 2020. That's 10x the number of Costco's.

I just did the search for Costco and it shows 785 locations in the US. So Walmart not quite 10x but you get the idea.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Google search showed this, Walmart had a total of 4,756 stores throughout the United States as of January 31, 2020. That's 10x the number of Costco's.

I just did the search for Costco and it shows 785 locations in the US. So Walmart not quite 10x but you get the idea.

well, Costco has 10x the 'customer service' of Walmart, but your point was understood in the first place. My relating the Costco angle was agreeing with your logic of having greater availability of obtaining a replacement battery while roaming around. Rather than buying a battery of a niche design and/or limited availability.

I used the same sort of reasoning when I elected to go dual grp78 Interstates. I wanted to be able to use both when powering a winch, but also to be able to physically swap the batteries if the primary failed in the middle of nowhere.

I finally found the battery I have decided to buy and install this weekend. Sold at Sam's club. It is a Group 27 and has 840 CCA and made by East Penn.

East Penn is said to make very good batteries. So, I am hoping this would be a good battery. I read somewhere that it is a rebranded Deka battery. It also comes with 3 years free replacement.

I placed it next to a Group 31 battery and realized I would need to make some modifications for a Group 31 battery to fit well in my car. So, I will buy the Duracell and install one day this weekend.

qnqW3Be.jpg

j5uoNhk.jpg

TsQUpN6.jpg

9wQIZuZ.jpg

I went and bought the Duracell battery this morning. I think it was built on 4/20, as per the stamp on the battery.

I replaced my old battery with the new one. The battery tray was really very dirty and my battery looked like it was leaking underneath. Something I could never had known if I had not taken the battery out myself.

Take a look at my battery tray. Truly dirty. I went to work with baking soda and water and cleaned the tray up. Installed the new battery and what a difference!

My car starts strong now. I can tell the difference now when my car starts. Stock oem battery came with 675CCA. This Duracell comes with 840CCA. So, I am hoping it last me more than 3 years. And I am particularly glad I could clean my battery tray. I wonder if other people who have never changed their batteries themselves have a dirty tray like mine but just do not know because they have not lifted the battery to see what is underneath.

It is all good now and car cranks up a lot better!
MYsb3Ub.jpg

IMAWT4L.jpg

Look at this leak. Looks bad.
jzWwmEw.jpg

Look at how dirty my battery tray was. I am glad I got to put a new battery today.
c9yRSB6.jpg

All cleaned up with water and baking soda.
Z9j0f1i.jpg

New and fresh battery. Car cranks now a lot better. Significant difference.
li8Q5k3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94