Replacing my Group 27 battery with Group 31 battery. Is that ok?

I have oem battery which is Group 27 battery in my Infiniti QX56/80. I bought the battery brand new at the dealership on 7/16. It has lasted me almost 4 years now and still cranks ok, but it shows signs of dying. I got it checked at Autozone and they confirmed that it cranks just ok but power is going low every day.

My offroad lights do take a toll on my battery since I use them sometimes without even turning my engine on. They are wired directly to my battery. So, I want something more powerful now to handle the extra juice my lights draw from my battery.

I wanted to get the Interstate battery with 810 CCA from Costco, but the nearest Costsco carrying it is 300 miles away. The stores in my area do not carry and refuse to order it for me. It comes with 3 years FREE replacement.
V1WMjDH.jpg

I went to Walmart and almost got the Everstart Maxx with 810 CCA. It comes with 3 years FREE replacement.
hM801iX.jpg

I changed my mind and said I will take some more time to decide. I am leaning towards experimenting with something else if it will work. My small and basic research has shown me I could be able to make the group 31 battery fit. This battery is larger in size to my group 27, though I believe I can make it fit my battery tray.

So, my goal now is to purchase this Interstate Battery that I can get locally here for $169 plus tax. It has 950 CCA. Warranty on it is only 1 year free replacement, but I am hoping it would last me more than 3 years. Since my basic oem lasted 4 years, I hope this Interstate which claims better specs than my basic oem, would last too atleast 3 years.
OAidhBJ.jpg

KbcanOg.jpg

What do you guys think about replacing my group 27 batteries with the group 31 battery. Will it be ok or not wise to do? Also, I have read a lot of good things about Interstate.

I hope if I buy this battery, it can last more than 3 years. That is the point at which I believe I would have had my money's worth and will not be mad if it dies after that. Since my basic oem can give me 4 years. And the Walmart group 27 offers 3 years free replacement.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Can you? Yes.

Is it worth it?

Personally, I wouldn’t bother. Are you in a hot climate? Heat is Likely killing your battery. 4 years is a pretty good run. Buy a fast-cheap drop-in replacement and get going.

Can you? Yes.

Is it worth it?

Personally, I wouldn’t bother. Are you in a hot climate? Heat is Likely killing your battery. 4 years is a pretty good run. Buy a fast-cheap drop-in replacement and get going.

I live in Texas. It gets pretty hot here in the summer. I am truly happy too about how long ny oem battery did last.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Walmart Group 27 or the Interstate Group 31. Mainly because of my offroad lights is why I am thinking why not maybe try out Group 31 and see. Hopefully there is no major drawback.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I just went through a similar debate when upgrading my Jeep. My fridge was killing the fancy Odyssey battery I put in, and my charging habits and charging system weren’t keeping it alive very well. Dead batteries were common. If your lights are LED, they most likely aren’t drawing enough power to matter. My research showed about 10% more capacity on a 31 vs 27, and getting the extra inch in the Jeep was going to be more work than I wanted. I just went for the 27. A 27 is a pretty big battery, if a 31 fits with no box cutting, go for it, otherwise... I would keep it simple.

I just went through a similar debate when upgrading my Jeep. My fridge was killing the fancy Odyssey battery I put in, and my charging habits and charging system weren’t keeping it alive very well. Dead batteries were common. If your lights are LED, they most likely aren’t drawing enough power to matter. My research showed about 10% more capacity on a 31 vs 27, and getting the extra inch in the Jeep was going to be more work than I wanted. I just went for the 27. A 27 is a pretty big battery, if a 31 fits with no box cutting, go for it, otherwise... I would keep it simple.

Good point. Actually, my first choice is to get the Costco Group 27 battery. But I truly hate that the nearest store which carries it is actually 220 miles away.

It means I have to kind of make myself to take a road trip to San Antonio so I can buy one there.

That is a bummer. That is why I almost bought one from Walmart. But I know someday within the next month or 2, I will be going to San Antonio for a weekend trip or just my random trips. So, maybe I should wait and buy it then. Or just go to the local Interstate qharehouse here and get the Group 31 battery.

The warehouse here sells that Group 27 battery for $162 plus tax. But Costco sells it for $92.99 plus tax. But none of the 6 Costco locations withing 10 minutes to 50 minutes from me carries it. What a bummer.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Easy replacement Is important for batteries. Millions of cars run on Wal-Matt batteries and you can get another one almost anywhere. Same for Autozone (although I’ve had a lot of seemingly premature Duralast failures), NAPA, others...

Easy replacement Is important for batteries. Millions of cars run on Wal-Matt batteries and you can get another one almost anywhere. Same for Autozone (although I’ve had a lot of seemingly premature Duralast failures), NAPA, others...

Easy replacemtn.

That is truly why I went to Walmart to buy Everstart Maxx. But for some reason changed my mind. I guess because my car can still crank ok, but Measured CA is going lower and lower, per Autozone. That it will die soon.

ExpoMike

I used to buy Interstate only as I have a local warehouse about 4 miles from my house. I have since moved over to Walmart Everstart Maxx as my thought process was, if I am out on a trip, I am likely to find a Walmart in more places than a Costco or Interstate battery outlet. Earlier this year I swapped out an old battery (came in the Jeep) with a new one in the Walmart parking lot, on my way out to the desert.

85_Ranger4x4

Find an Interstate dealer.

I am a dealer, we can get just about any battery within a day or two from the warehouse.

But for me Walmart is 1/2 hour/30mi + away, a new Interstate for either of my trucks (MTP-65) is on the other side of the room from where I am sitting right now lol.

31P-MHD is freaking massive for a car though, we stock those for tractors. Staying with a more automotive application will also get you a much better warranty.

MT-27: CCA 810, CA 1000. L-12", W-6-3/4", H-8-7/8" 24mo free replacement, 5 year and they go by percentages (MT-27 is what my book calls for for the "better" option for your car)

31P-MHD: CCA 950, CA 1190. L-13", W-6-3/4", H-9-3/8" 18mo free replacement and that is it.

Last edited:
I used to buy Interstate only as I have a local warehouse about 4 miles from my house. I have since moved over to Walmart Everstart Maxx as my thought process was, if I am out on a trip, I am likely to find a Walmart in more places than a Costco or Interstate battery outlet. Earlier this year I swapped out an old battery (came in the Jeep) with a new one in the Walmart parking lot, on my way out to the desert.

This is honestly the main reason why Walmart stands out to me as the most practical choice. Though ideally, I would have preferred to buy the Costco, if it was not about 4 hours drive to the store which has one.

Find an Interstate dealer.

I am a dealer, we can get just about any battery within a day or two from the warehouse.

But for me Walmart is 1/2 hour/30mi + away, a new Interstate for either of my trucks (MTP-65) is on the other side of the room from where I am sitting right now lol.

A Interstate dealer is 5 minutes from my job. And is 30 minutes from my house.

I called them up. I asked them for a price quote on a Group 27. They told me $162 plus tax. I asked for a quote fora Group 31. They told me $169.99 plus tax.

Costco sells the Group 27 for $92.99 plus tax. Walmart sells Group 27 for $119 plus tax.

So you see my dilemma. If I have to buy from the dealer, then I will buy the Group 31.

This store is local. Warranty on this is only 12 months. It would be a real disappointment if I buy this and it dies after just 1 year use.

I will go check this battery out in person when next I am off from work.

9v9k0XB.jpg

cbZkpJq.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

If you are stuck on that 31P-MHD, that size is common for tractors of all colors. If you have any ag dealers or repair shops around they will probably stock them.

Maybe construction equipment dealers too... construction stuff is usually weird though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles